Determined Dion Jordan formulates plan | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Determined Dion Jordan formulates plan

While its nice to read that. The fact still remains that he is a project in the works and was taken way too early in draft. While he may never be worth what we gave to get him. Hopefully he can be a starter and the valuable player everyone wants him to be.

And this is the attitude i never understood.

If by 2015 Jordan becomes a top notch pass rusher who routinely bounces between 14-18 sacks per season for the following decade, isnt that worth the 3rd overall pick? I vote: hell yes.

And lets not pretend we spent a lot for him. We "gave up" a 2nd round pick. Given Ireland's history with that round, smart money says that would have been a draft bust anyways. Could we have spent our resources better? Perhaps. We could have stayed pat and drafted Star Lotulelei and a decent player in the second(though again: Ireland probably would have missed there), but grabbing Jordan over Star isnt a crime if Jordan develops. Star is a special player, but Jordan has that same potential and at an arguably more critical position.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

No Ireland still screwed the pooch on this one . Because you dont do a trade to move that far up to take a guy plus he cost another pick on top of it. In my eyes it was still to much for a player that is a project. You don't take chances like that in first round especially when you are trying to build a team,.

If you play it safe all the time you will never win the Superbowl.

Every team needs special players.

Last edited by a moderator:
so that 260 was legit and he still had issues with leverage and strength vs the run...that height playing against him no doubt...5 lbs isnt gonna change that much...gonna have to seriously up the strength and power

still no talk of a counter redirect to the inside move...sure hope that's in the works and no talk about getting off the snap of the ball quicker either...i give it him he sounds like work ethic is not the problem nor is ego...miami wants to get him on the field more kick vernon inside in certain 2nd down and distances and let jordan play the end and rush from there

if he's truly 260 and played at that last year which is hard for me to believe that quickly coming off the combine and what he weighed i think 270 is more where he needs to get...at some point though you start sacrificing speed and burst explosion for bad weight...a fine line for sure...

Grabbing Jordan was a good pick at the time.

QB position was hopefully solved, if Tannehill take the next step in his development. A luxury pick doesn't bother me, especially after Miami drafted a qb

I like Dion Jordan's attitude. He is eager to build strength and learn from the best. I'm looking forward to seeing him light it up.
I predict that Dion Jordan is Ireland's long term legacy to the Dolphins. (Remember that Matt Millen drafted Megatron).

He needs to be like Aldon Smith.

That guy is a freak.

Aldom Smith separates himself with his hands. There are plenty of edge rushers with Smith's burst off the ball (we have two on our roster who get off the ball better than Smith). Smith gets leverage, and if he catches you leaning, you're getting tossed to the side or trucked. Smith's arms are also about an inch and a half longer than Jordan's. A lot of Smith's ability is just talent. You're not going to go from having subpar hands to having the best hands in the league. If he can get just pretty good in that area, it'd go a long way.

I'd like to see Jordan play more LB. He can move in space, and his height can be disruptive.

I'm a big fan of Jordan's potential. Really looking forward to his career of destroying AFC East QB's. :up:

I like what I hear from Jordan. That's the stuff he needs to be doing and recognizing that is very important.

His quickness, acceleration and closing speed are all legit. His length is as well. What he needs is more power, a stronger base to set the edge effectively like JT did, stronger arms to disengage and cover the read option (thread linked in my signature), and more pass rush moves. At a minimum he needs a swim, rip, bull, and inside move to go along with simply speed rushing outside.

The MMS training should be right on point for him as his hand use is terrible ... or to quote one of my favorite NBA personalities, Charles Barkley, "turrrible." The MMS stuff really exposes the hand strength and placement issues and forces speed guys to engage the physical hand fighting stuff that they need. In some respects Jordan reminds me of a raw version of Clay Matthews rookie season with great quickness and speed but not as willing to use his hands as he should be. In college, this was a big issue for Matthews. But, now he can play physically and prevent OT's from over setting outside and floating too lightly on their feet trying to prevent the speed move outside or the quick move back inside. This makes him much more effective.

Jordan is narrow and light. My biggest concern before we drafted him is that he simply doesn't have the power and leverage in the run defense that the freak Jason Taylor displayed. But, if he rocks up to 265 of muscle improving his leg and arm strength, he can improve enough to compete for a starting spot and surely enough to rotate in for Wake and Vernon.

Glad to hear he is doing the right things and has a good attitude. Wake and JT are good mentors to have.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

IMO, besides some strength stuff the thing that he and heck Wake really need to learn and master that JT was superb with is Hand-Play. I can't even begin to state, How good JT was with his Hand-Combat. It's something that Jordan is severely lacking and surprisingly after all this time so is Wake!

Dion with his freakish athleticism already has NFL tackles half beat. He really just needs to learn how to take advantage of that and us it against them...Cam Wake is in a similar boat to me! For all that Cam Wake is and has already accomplished he could easily be so much better.

as for the gm thing and power sounds like too many chiefs not enough indians...the gm shouldn't have to report to 3 different facets...god dang you either trust the guy you hire and let him do his job or you don't....til you find one you do you don't make the hire...but having all these people over him micromanaging him etc is only gonna turn people off...

Aldom Smith separates himself with his hands. There are plenty of edge rushers with Smith's burst off the ball (we have two on our roster who get off the ball better than Smith). Smith gets leverage, and if he catches you leaning, you're getting tossed to the side or trucked. Smith's arms are also about an inch and a half longer than Jordan's. A lot of Smith's ability is just talent. You're not going to go from having subpar hands to having the best hands in the league. If he can get just pretty good in that area, it'd go a long way.

I'd like to see Jordan play more LB. He can move in space, and his height can be disruptive.

That's what I meant by being a freak.

To me Alson Smith is the best pass rusher in the NFL, nobody is even close even my old high school teammate Robert Quinn. Jordan has the athletic ability to become a top pass rusher there's no doubting that..

I also agree with you playing LB, he should be like Von Miller 4-3 OLB

The biggest thing I believe he needs to work on is his hands. He's extremely limited with this right now and should have had more sacks this past season.

Looks like he's got the determination, so I hope he has his coach on speed dial and studies some of the pure pass rushers the league has had/has.

That's the point of the draft.

You build the team with talented players, you never draft need. He was the best player on Ireland's board and traded up to get him.

No I am sure that there were other guys available that we didn't have to give up other picks. Add to that it was an injured guy we got. So no I dont believe Jordan was or is best player at that time. Maybe a 2nd but he wasnt all that in college. And just because he has athletic ability doent justify Ireland taking him when and how he did, our only hope is he becomes a good player for ua and starts otherwose he is a big time bust.!

I still think 265 is too light for a guy of his size. If he was truly 260 lbs I'm not sure how much 5 extra pounds is going to do for him.

Five pounds is ALOT.

We arn't talking cheeseburgers and chocolate cake weight. This is clean muscle.

I know it seems insignificant, but to stack on 5 lbs of muscle, that is a strength and power increase ten fold.

Back
Top Bottom