DeVonta Smith Declines to be weighed or measured at Senior Bowl | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DeVonta Smith Declines to be weighed or measured at Senior Bowl

He remind me of
Gin jr..fast..he is not going be number 1 wr in NFL.
Is this sarcasm? Absolutely nothing a like at all.
Ginn was a track guy playing WR. He was shorter, a bad route runner and wouldn't go over the middle of the field at all. Heck he would run OB 5 yards before just to avoid contact.

Heck lets just look at some football numbers.
Ginn: 37gp 135rec 1943yrd 14.4ypc (career)
Smith: 13gp 117rec 1856yrd 15.9ypc( last year)

Yep so comparable.

I could care less as far as selecting him I can see he is light - but based on what I see he is a player I like who tips the scales in our O

I like a trade down for Smith Chase or even for Sewell

Need a team to bite on a QB first
I don’t see his size as a durability issue. I doubt it’s any easier to tear his ACL than it is for someone who outweighs him by 20 or 30 pounds. His bones won’t break any easier. He’s not playing offensive line, I mean before they changed the rules and added illegal contact, then I could see the issue would be can he get off the LOS, but with the Rule changes he’ll probably be just fine.

Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith has spoken to former Alabama teammate Tua Tagovailoa about reuniting in the NFL.

"We have talked about how it would be nice to run it back again," Smith said Tuesday on NFL Network (via the Palm Beach Post's Joe Schad).

The Miami Dolphins are on the board with the No. 3 pick in the 2021 draft and could use a true No. 1 receiver to pair with Tagovailoa. Head coach Brian Flores spoke highly of Smith when talking to reporters Tuesday:

Smith obviously has a strong rapport with Tagovailoa already. They arrived at Alabama as part of the 2017 recruiting class and spent three seasons together with the Crimson Tide.

Based on his college resume, Smith is likely to be one of the first receivers off the board.

He had to share the spotlight with Calvin Ridley, Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs III through his first three years. As the top wideout in 2020, he caught 117 passes for 1,856 yards and 23 touchdowns in 13 games. The Louisiana native was simply unguardable.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. projected him to land with the New York Jets at No. 2. LSU's Ja'Marr Chase went to the Dolphins with the next pick.

None of this is to say Smith is the clear choice for the Dolphins. Flores, general manager Chris Grier and the rest of the staff will do as much evaluating as they can, and they could reasonably value somebody else over the Alabama star.

But taking Smith would make plenty of sense for Miami.

DeVonta Smith: Dolphins' Tua Tagovailoa and I Have Talked ...bleacherreport.com › Miami Dolphins

Last edited:
Ginn was a build up speed guy who ran a limited route tree and avoided contact like the plague

not a comp
One of the worst picks ever for Mia. He literally ran 3 plays at OSU go route, WR screen, and reverse to WR. Even the announcers where shocked by the pick. They tried to maybe sell it as the Devin Hester effect that Mia thought he would get 5+ return tds per year.

One of the worst picks ever for Mia. He literally ran 3 plays at OSU go route, WR screen, and reverse to WR. Even the announcers where shocked by the pick. They tried to maybe sell it as the Devin Hester effect that Mia thought he would get 5+ return tds per year.

returns in a wr eval shouldn’t add value. Classic example

grade should come from the wr play unless returns is all the guy gives you in which case down grade. Dime a dozen stuff

I think if you're Smitty, you're more interested in teams that are interested in you for what you've put on tape for the past 4 years. They understand your makeup as a person and a competitor. You should already know what I'm made of and know my background. You've spoken to all my coaches. From Saban to Sarkisian to Brian Daboll to my S&C coaches to my high school coach at Amite. You know what I am and what I've done.

If you're drafting for size, you're looking in the wrong place. If you're more interested in 10 pounds then we're probably not a good fit for each other and I probably don't want to play for you anyway. During the draft process, certain players can weed out teams too. It goes both ways. People don't realize that.

I think if you're Smitty, you're more interested in teams that are interested in you for what you've put on tape for the past 4 years. They understand your makeup as a person and a competitor. You should already know what I'm made of and know my background. You've spoken to all my coaches. From Saban to Sarkisian to Brian Daboll to my S&C coaches to my high school coach at Amite. You know what I am and what I've done.

If you're drafting for size, you're looking in the wrong place. If you're more interested in 10 pounds then we're probably not a good fit for each other and I probably don't want to play for you anyway. During the draft process, certain players can weed out teams too. It goes both ways. People don't realize that.

agreed. Exactly. If you want me to add weight to play for you then we probably aren’t a good fit

agreed all the way

I am all for an all Alabama first 2 rounds.
Smith, Najee, Leatherwood and Creed.

Instant upgrade of the offense. All of them familiar with Tua. I have said it like 50 times hoping I can speak it into existence.

Back
Top Bottom