DeVonta Smith Declines to be weighed or measured at Senior Bowl | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DeVonta Smith Declines to be weighed or measured at Senior Bowl

Kiper was just asked about having three WRs in his top 10 who do not have the mammoth size of past top 10 and top 5 WRs. Kiper basically said the game has changed, the rules have changed. The NFL is now a space game and smaller WRs are having huge and immediate impacts. IMO those that keep saying, "don't take a WR in the top 5" or "you need elite size/speed to go in the top 5" are behind the times.

I do think there's an argument that smaller players are less prone to tendon injuries. I haven't seen any specific studies related to size and tendon injuries, but I do recall articles in the past speculating that tendon injuries were increasing due to increased player size. I have, however, seen multiple studies looking at size and injuries in general. All have at least concluded that smaller players are not more prone to injuries. A few have found that smaller players have lower injury rates (IMO that's probably related to play style). Personally, whenever a poster or media member or whomever keeps saying that they are worried about Smith's durability b/c of his size, I think that either they are just ignorant of the facts or they just are the type that ignore facts that don't jive with what they want to believe.
yeah, it’s not an injury issue unless they play QB or linebacker or a position that gets hit or hits more IMHO. For a Running back or WR, it doesn’t seem like smaller guys who tend to be faster and more slippery get injured any more than their bigger counter parts.

Before they changed the rules for illegal contact, then the argument could’ve been made that the smaller guys weren’t strong enough to break away from the CB’s who could basically mug them and get open. But, that’s not the case anymore. So exactly what you are saying...

Nah, I don't think there is anything to it other than waiting for his pro day where he'll get weighed, run, catch, do pull ups. It will give him some time and all under his control. He didn't gain an ounce in the best collegiate system in the world after 3 years, I doubt if he's going to pack on 10 lbs in 2 months and not sure anybody cares. If Jets stick with Darnold they'd be fools to take Smith @2, of wait, it's the Jets so they may do it. He'll go high but at 170 lbs, no way #2
Johnny "Lam" Jones was picked at #2 by the Jets in the 1980 draft. Sims went 1st and I believe Munoz went 3rd.

Jets are gonna Jets so it could be Deja Vu for all we know.

I can only imagine what it would feel like for you to see Tua, Smith, and Harris all go to Miami. You might finally have to come around and join the fish. Drew Bress is done! New Orleans is done! Repent and we'll wlecome you with open arms. All is forgiven!
Dont forget Barzini, Tataglia, Stracci, Cuneo, and Moe Green

yeah drop 5 lbs or add 5 lbs absolutely. But you ain’t adding 20 lbs on that frame with that thin lower half and not scraping atblete in the process...

so it’s just to me a they want me to add weight to alleviate some frame concerns stuff. Just trying to check another box.

will it matter for what kind of pro he will be? I don’t see it

I could also challenge you to tell me how many of the most productive college receivers in the last 20 years were among the NFLs best after they got drafted. Here’s a hint, almost none..

I’m not as concerned about build as I am about overvaluing the draft position in general. 20 or later is where we should be finding our star WRs, and all the current best teams in the NFL are proof of it.
Depends at where they were productive at. Massive difference dominating in small conferences.

Now go look at WRs that are the most productive in the SEC. You will see if you can dominate as WR in the SEC (crap load of NFL talent DBs) that there is a high probability of success in the NFL. Also of note of the 16 WRs to break 1000 yards last season 6 of them are from the SEC.

Measurements at the Senior Bowl are notoriously bad for some reason. Knowing how critical it could be to where he gets drafted, color me not surprised that he passed on the opportunity.

Measurements at the Senior Bowl are notoriously bad for some reason. Knowing how critical it could be to where he gets drafted, color me not surprised that he passed on the opportunity.

the only thing I remember being off was like arm length. If I recall correctly zach martins arm length jumped like 2 inches between the senior bowl and the combine.

talk about a quality senior bowl showing. That dude didn’t lose a rep and had impeccable technique

Kiper was just asked about having three WRs in his top 10 who do not have the mammoth size of past top 10 and top 5 WRs. Kiper basically said the game has changed, the rules have changed. The NFL is now a space game and smaller WRs are having huge and immediate impacts. IMO those that keep saying, "don't take a WR in the top 5" or "you need elite size/speed to go in the top 5" are behind the times.

I do think there's an argument that smaller players are less prone to tendon injuries. I haven't seen any specific studies related to size and tendon injuries, but I do recall articles in the past speculating that tendon injuries were increasing due to increased player size. I have, however, seen multiple studies looking at size and injuries in general. All have at least concluded that smaller players are not more prone to injuries. A few have found that smaller players have lower injury rates (IMO that's probably related to play style). Personally, whenever a poster or media member or whomever keeps saying that they are worried about Smith's durability b/c of his size, I think that either they are just ignorant of the facts or they just are the type that ignore facts that don't jive with what they want to believe.
Im no doctor, but more speed and weight will inevitably put more stress on joints when changing direction imo... If thats a valid theory, then 6'1" 175 should be a good thing for a WR when it comes to non-contact related injuries... As far as contact ones, I have yet to read a study that can successfully predict them better than a monkey throwing darts...

Im no doctor, but more speed and weight will inevitably put more stress on joints when changing direction imo... If thats a valid theory, then 6'1" 175 should be a good thing for a WR when it comes to non-contact related injuries... As far as contact ones, I have yet to read a study that can successfully predict them better than a monkey throwing darts...
It's not that anybody is trying to predict contact injuries. It's more about seeing if history has shown any correlation between smaller size and increased injury. The fact is that there hasn't been a correlation. But some studies have found that smaller size is correlated with fewer injuries. My guess is that that's b/c smaller players are more likely to avoid contact and that less contact results in fewer injuries.

It's not that anybody is trying to predict contact injuries. It's more about seeing if history has shown any correlation between smaller size and increased injury. The fact is that there hasn't been a correlation. But some studies have found that smaller size is correlated with fewer injuries. My guess is that that's b/c smaller players are more likely to avoid contact and that less contact results in fewer injuries.
I was agreeing with you :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom