DeVonta Smith Declines to be weighed or measured at Senior Bowl | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DeVonta Smith Declines to be weighed or measured at Senior Bowl

I think Harris is doing the same thing. He wants to get picked at 18 which is the highest he could go. IU am ok with over drafting these 2 instead of losing out on them. Najee is the only power speed back in this draft. The rest of the RB's are under 6 foot and seem more like Myles Gaskin types.
I'm a big fan of Harris, and have been for a while. Travis Etienne is my RB1 and Najee Harris my RB2, but after those guys it's a bit of a drop off until Javonte Williams at RB3 for me. That having been said, I'm probably not pulling the trigger on any of them at #18, and probably looking to see what the board looks like in the second round. There are a bunch of top tier CB prospects like Tyson Campbell who may be available in the second round, as well as some good OL who should still be available in round 2. Also I'm looking at this safety class ... but not really sure about it yet. Lots of good-but-not-great prospects that might be beneficial.

When I go through and think about how the draft might look (extremely premature at this point), I keep finding positional value and good players throughout round 2 so that I might not pull the trigger on a RB in the range Harris and Etienne will be drafted. Lots more to figure out about this draft class ... and I really will miss the combine. On a positive note ... no worry about guys who time great and 'win' the underwear Olympics overshadowing guys who play fast and productive on the field.

It will be interesting to see how the RB's go on draft day. I do think the WR class will slide a bit because there are a lot of good prospects.

Quick, name the last receiver that had Smith's production and also had a big build.

These theoretical hoops to jump through to justify drafting a receiver that high are silly.

That who he remind me of fast guy coming out college..will he be like Ginn.. I dont know that either..Ginn last 13 yr.. it still good career.
But that is not even true at all. Ginn was 5'11 and fast guy sub 4.3. Smith is 6'1 and like a 4.4 to 4.5 guy. Both are thin that is about it. Smith can run routes has great hands and has dominated in college. Ginn did none of this he was hyped up because of his return skills and fast 40 time. Ginn was a hyped up Jakeem Grant.

Your basic theory is well they are both small and fast. It is like saying I think Dan Orlovsky reminds me of Dan Marino well they are both big and not mobile. Only difference is Marino was very good at throwing the football (same as Smith being able to run routes and create seperation) while Orlovsky was not good at throwing the football (same as Ginn not good at routes or creating seperation). You basically broke a position down too nothing but 2 things size and speed and left every thing else out that is need to play the position. Oh and the their size/speed is not even all that comparable either.

He also said that he would weight in at his Pro day. Nothing different than players waiting til their pro day to run the100 yd dash.

Exactly what I read and heard.

Lots of jumping to conclusions going on here.

Smith isn’t participating in the practices either. Clearly just wanted to shadow and get to know the Dolphins staff.

There’s nothing to be concerned about here. He’ll have his measureables done on his pro day.

But that is not even true at all. Ginn was 5'11 and fast guy sub 4.3. Smith is 6'1 and like a 4.4 to 4.5 guy. Both are thin that is about it. Smith can run routes has great hands and has dominated in college. Ginn did none of this he was hyped up because of his return skills and fast 40 time. Ginn was a hyped up Jakeem Grant.

Your basic theory is well they are both small and fast. It is like saying I think Dan Orlovsky reminds me of Dan Marino well they are both big and not mobile. Only difference is Marino was very good at throwing the football (same as Smith being able to run routes and create seperation) while Orlovsky was not good at throwing the football (same as Ginn not good at routes or creating seperation). You basically broke a position down too nothing but 2 things size and speed and left every thing else out that is need to play the position. Oh and the their size/speed is not even all that comparable either.
I think u over re acting.. time will tell how good smith is in nfl. Anyway talk to me in 3 to 4 yr. Most of bama received has been good in nfl..

Last edited:
Quick, name the last receiver that had Smith's production and also had a big build.

These theoretical hoops to jump through to justify drafting a receiver that high are silly.
No. What's "silly" is folks ignoring BASIC positional facts like height weight etc. Is a 5-6 QB OK?. Like no prob with that? At what point for a QB is it silly to be aware of height. Like drafting a kid and he shows up 5-6 and everyone is surprised! How about weight? You don't think a WRs weight is a LEGIT factor to consider. I say *&!@^$! with that crap! The kid is at the facility and REFUSES to get weighed! Like WTF is that about? He got silly and went on Jenny Craig for a few weeks just for fun? I'll tell you what -- that alone makes me question the kid psychologically. I don't need some head case stick man WR @ #3 when there are kids willing to show up and get measured FOR REAL. Just a counter point to consider!

I think u over re acting.. time will tell how good smith is in nfl.
It is not over reacting at all. In no way shape or form is Ginn and Smith comparable at all. Not even the same size or speed really. Smith has dominated at the highest level of college football at WR Ginn never came close to what Smith has done. Look if you want to say you don't think Smith will be a top WR in the NFL fine then state that and actually have reasoning behind it. Don't just come up with some guy MIA drafted high at WR and say they are comparable. Cause they don't play anything close to the same style of football. Guys that he does compare with as far as height/weight and WR skills are Isaac Bruce and Marvin Harrison. Not even saying he will be that good in the NFL but Smith did put up bigger numbers in college all while playing in the supposed best Defensive Conference in college football (SEC).

No. What's "silly" is folks ignoring BASIC positional facts like height weight etc. Is a 5-6 QB OK?. Like no prob with that? At what point for a QB is it silly to be aware of height. Like drafting a kid and he shows up 5-6 and everyone is surprised! How about weight? You don't think a WRs weight is a LEGIT factor to consider. I say *&!@^$! with that crap! The kid is at the facility and REFUSES to get weighed! Like WTF is that about? He got silly and went on Jenny Craig for a few weeks just for fun? I'll tell you what -- that alone makes me question the kid psychologically. I don't need some head case stick man WR @ #3 when there are kids willing to show up and get measured FOR REAL. Just a counter point to consider!

Yet you have no problem with players sitting out ENTIRE season just to work out and get ready for the draft?? Lmao

If you've never seen a player skip certain portion of combine to do it at their pro-day, you must not watch much football.

I have zero issues with him trying to bulk up if that's what he wants to do. He's a stud and produced at the highest level of competition...destroyed numerous CBs drafted in top 2 rounds...he has nothing left to prove, yet he's there.

It is not over reacting at all. In no way shape or form is Ginn and Smith comparable at all. Not even the same size or speed really. Smith has dominated at the highest level of college football at WR Ginn never came close to what Smith has done. Look if you want to say you don't think Smith will be a top WR in the NFL fine then state that and actually have reasoning behind it. Don't just come up with some guy MIA drafted high at WR and say they are comparable. Cause they don't play anything close to the same style of football. Guys that he does compare with as far as height/weight and WR skills are Isaac Bruce and Marvin Harrison. Not even saying he will be that good in the NFL but Smith did put up bigger numbers in college all while playing in the supposed best Defensive Conference in college football (SEC).
In 2 to 3 yr. we can revisited this but one thing I see defense playing 5 to 10 off on every play..so u not going know until he is playing w equal talent..I do like smith but bama is loaded.

Last edited:
In 2 to 3 yr. we can revisited this but one thing I see defense playing 5 to 10 off on every play..so u not going know until he is playing w equal talent..I do like smith but bama is loaded.
I get the wait and see in 2 or 3 years everyone can bust. But I was making the point that he is not anything like Ginn at all. Also if you say wait till we see him play with equal talent then what do we use to grade out a prospect? Just go with height/weight/speed? When does actual production on the football field come into play? I mean he just dominated the best conference in college football only thing better is the NFL.

I get the wait and see in 2 or 3 years everyone can bust. But I was making the point that he is not anything like Ginn at all. Also if you say wait till we see him play with equal talent then what do we use to grade out a prospect? Just go with height/weight/speed? When does actual production on the football field come into play? I mean he just dominated the best conference in college football only thing better is the NFL.
Yes u right about he being best players in 2020..he should be good in nfl... good conversation

This is either great for us or bad depending on where we value Smith. Being the first person to go to the senior bowl and decline to be weighed, is going to hurt his draft stock with many teams. If we want to get him at 18 this could very well help us as he may drop down the board. But if we value Chase and Waddle higher, it's going to push them up as those teams looking for a WR may be put off by this and push those two higher up their boards. I'm hoping for a Pitts and Smith round 1, don't really care which order, but this may very well help that transpire.

I saw an article today where Brett Favre thought Jax should take Smith at #1 instead of Lawrence. He must have been drunk.

Back
Top Bottom