Did the defense actually play OK ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the defense actually play OK ?

Playing a division rival close on the stat sheet, but getting housed on the scoreboard.

We absolutely sucked all game. Our run defense is horrendous. They ran everywhere and anywhere any time they wanted.

We have no trenches on offense or defense.

Jerome Baker is an average linebacker at best.

Our GM sucks as evidenced by Chase Winovich balling on us while Michael Deiter struggled most of the game.

looks like Michelle had 21 for 85 and burkhead 5-21 ? That doesn't look too bad honestly when you consider the amount the offense "helped" them, was it truly that bad? I know we're all jaded and maybe I'm just being too positive this early in the season.
appreciate all the views/ information btw.

We got them in a few 3rd and long situations that we couldn't capitalize on. Those were very frustrating to see. But at least we hit Brady a few times.

To answer your question: No, the defense didn't play OK. But it wasn't as disastrous as it was last week either.

D wasn’t that good but can’t blame them for this game. If we had an offense we wouldn’t even bring up the D today

Game 1 - defense looked inept, offense looked bad but you could see signs of what they were trying to do
Game 2 - offense looked inept, defense looked okay through 2.5 quarters but were gassed after that.

I was impressed by a few of the defense, specifically Jenkins, his bull-rush through Shaq Mason (maybe the best RG in the NFL), was one of the highlights of the game. Overall, they performed about as well as our defense typically does against Brady. He picks apart our secondary because we can't put pressure on him and their play-calling choice of when to run vs pass always seems to completely catch us off-guard. We gave up too many 5-8 yd runs to their RBs because we weren't ready for a run.

If we can play a complete game on both sides of the ball, I'd say we could've been in this game until the 4th quarter against a team who will inevitably play for the Super Bowl this year. We had 4 INTs, 2 of which were Fitz being Fitz, the other 2 were bad luck.

It definitely sucks watching your team get the **** kicked out of them, but eventually all the fair-weather Pats fans will go through this **** after the Brady-Belichek era. It is just like the Warriors in the NBA. Casual fans nowadays only want to root for the dynasty team with the best players. It would be nice to not have a home game for us be a home game for the Pats though, Jesus Christ. You could hear the crowd chanting for Brady half the ****ing game.

Playing a division rival close on the stat sheet, but getting housed on the scoreboard.

When I checked my phone at work and saw 13-0 into the 3'rd quarter honestly I was shocked. Expected a lot worse. You can't really expect the defense to just keep playing 100% forever the entire game with the offense doing absolutely NOTHING and them looking up and seeing the clock tick away.

Pitt looked pretty bad vs that NE defense last week as well

They were better. The offense was abysmal and the defense eventually wore down from being on the field all day. They played inspired in the first half but they could only hang in there so long with the talent deficiencies at cb and the offense being so putrid.

People get obsessed with stats and numbers that mean nothing. The Pats scored 20 points in garbage time. 2 of the TDs were pick-6s, so that had literally nothing to do with the defense. If Brown doesn’t get away with an OPI on his TD grab in the 2nd we would have gone into the half 7-0 or 10-0 with our offense playing horrendous. At some point the defense just got worn down because the offense could do literally nothing to sustain a drive and move the ball. So to answer the question OP, the defense played exponentially better than they did last week.
Yep. The D was decent and if we were capable of playing any kind of complimentary football it would have been a very winnable game for a normal team.

It wasn't a terrible effort. The offense scarcely got past the 50 until the last drive of the game, and most of their drives were three and outs. Most teams are lucky if they hold NE under 30, and that's with an honest offensive contribution. Our offense contributed two pick 6's and one more really bad Fitz pick. It certainly wasn't a case like last week where Baltimore scored at will.

The downsides though were that we still had some members of the secondary completely fail to contribute again (Rowe) and had some brutal third and long conversions. Ironically, it seemed as if we were more successful stopping third and five than we were third and 18.

When I checked my phone at work and saw 13-0 into the 3'rd quarter honestly I was shocked. Expected a lot worse. You can't really expect the defense to just keep playing 100% forever the entire game with the offense doing absolutely NOTHING and them looking up and seeing the clock tick away.

Pitt looked pretty bad vs that NE defense last week as well
New England defense is allowed to get away with jamming WRs way after 5 yards.

The offense is sad. There’s literally and I mean literally no talent on that side of the ball with Wilson out.

And Wilson is a nice little player but not sold on him either. He needs big weapons around him to create space

The 2 pick 6s completely took the air out of this team. 1 was the fault of Fitz the other was all on Ballage. Fitztragic was a pick machine today. Rosen had 2 nice long balls that were dropped during mop up duty, and his pick was pretty badly forced because of the pressure coming at him on the goal line for the last play of the game to try and not get shutout.

Back
Top Bottom