Do we draft more offensive lineman? Or go through free agency? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do we draft more offensive lineman? Or go through free agency?

I’ll take Scherff and Armstead off the bat. Then I’ll also add a couple guys in the first four rounds. And keep adding them as often as possible throughout the draft and trade options. I want six or seven guys brought in. Don’t have to keep them all but I want bodies in camp
This would be a homerun to me. Then back up the Brinks truck for a veteran o-line coach who knows what he’s doing. I’ll take an o-line next year of:

Armstead – Eichenberg – Deiter – Schreff – Hunt

I think Eich + Hunt are salvageable with good coaching and a veteran to their left. Also open to adding a plug-and-play center in the draft if one is available and we don’t think Deiter is up to snuff. To me, Deiter seems to have good rapport with Tua and holds up well in pass protection, although he leaves something to desire in the run game.

This would be a homerun to me. Then back up the Brinks truck for a veteran o-line coach who knows what he’s doing. I’ll take an o-line next year of:

Armstead – Eichenberg – Deiter – Schreff – Hunt

I think Eich + Hunt are salvageable with good coaching and a veteran to their left. Also open to adding a plug-and-play center in the draft if one is available and we don’t think Deiter is up to snuff. To me, Deiter seems to have good rapport with Tua and holds up well in pass protection, although he leaves something to desire in the run game.
I'm not a fan of Armstead but I could live with this. Our OL would at least be passable.

Go get yourself a starting OT and OC in free agency.

Use the first 2 picks in the draft towards playmakers to continue to help Tua grow.

1) John Metchie III WR (we loose fuller, Williams, and Wilson, possibly cut Parker too)

2) Kenneth Walker III RB (elusive, power runner we need to help give Tua a 1-2 punch with gaskins). Tired of seeing us pass on top RB prospects!!

The real upside to drafting players is their contract value... At this point, the problem on the OL isnt cost, its quality. They'd be much better served to go the FA way with players who's output can be predicted better. The draft isnt the place to fix urgent problems.

Definitely FA. We have no luck drafting lineman. All we need is FA LT and Center. Then we can take shots on the 2nd or 3rd round. I think we should get Tua and RB and and best LB available with our 1st and 2nd round. Just my opinion

I’ll take Scherff and Armstead off the bat. Then I’ll also add a couple guys in the first four rounds. And keep adding them as often as possible throughout the draft and trade options. I want six or seven guys brought in. Don’t have to keep them all but I want bodies in camp
Scherff wants ALOT of money though. Like crippling amount. I think for him he would settle for a contract with a team capable of going all the way. It would still be a lot, but there's no reason for him not to absolutely take WFT over the coals. We may have a perfect opportunity with $$$ and promise for him, but it's gonna be costly. Don't think you can get both those players you suggested and keep Gman and Ogbah, not sure if you wanted them or not.

Scherff wants ALOT of money though. Like crippling amount. I think for him he would settle for a contract with a team capable of going all the way. It would still be a lot, but there's no reason for him not to absolutely take WFT over the coals. We may have a perfect opportunity with $$$ and promise for him, but it's gonna be costly. Don't think you can get both those players you suggested and keep Gman and Ogbah, not sure if you wanted them or not.
You’re absolutely correct. I love me some Gesicki. He’s probably my favorite Phin (Waddle and Holland are up there for me too now) and would expect to have to pay up for him. Pretty much Goedert’s contract maybe plus or minus a bit. I’m agnostic on Ogbah though. I love what he’s done but I’m not sure if he will request the money I fear. I’m guessing he will want somewhere around $15mil per. But I’m worried he may want somewhere north of 18-20mil per

Side note: if we lose Gesicki, I think it will be a tragedy for our locker room. He is glue to that offense. Not even for what he does on the field, but for his leadership and overall cohesion

Last edited:
Hopefully they will bring in a quality offensive line coach. I just don’t know if a top tier OL coach wants to come to Miami considering Flores hired 4 offensive line coaches in 2 years.

I would like to see them add 2 veteran offensive line starters in free agency and also use a 2nd round pick on a young offensive lineman or RB.

In the first round they need to take the best WR on the board when they pick. Other than Waddle, they really don’t have any WR’s on the present roster who will be with the Dolphins beyond next year unless Bowden can win a role as a 5th or 6th WR next year.

Hopefully they will bring in a quality offensive line coach. I just don’t know if a top tier OL coach wants to come to Miami considering Flores hired 4 offensive line coaches in 2 years.

I would like to see them add 2 veteran offensive line starters in free agency and also use a 2nd round pick on a young offensive lineman or RB.

In the first round they need to take the best WR on the board when they pick. Other than Waddle, they really don’t have any WR’s on the present roster who will be with the Dolphins beyond next year unless Bowden can win a role as a 5th or 6th WR next year.
I really don’t see us getting rid of Parker based on his salary. At just around $5mil per year for the next two years, it’s hard to find anyone better. Even at only half a season, he’s easily more talented than any 4th of 5th WR you can find. I think we still grab guys to place ahead of him, but you don’t move away from him early. You just assume he won’t be there for half the games

I really don’t see us getting rid of Parker based on his salary. At just around $5mil per year for the next two years, it’s hard to find anyone better. Even at only half a season, he’s easily more talented than any 4th of 5th WR you can find. I think we still grab guys to place ahead of him, but you don’t move away from him early. You just assume he won’t be there for half the games
I like Parker when he is on the field but history clearly shows he just isn’t reliable because of constant hamstring issues. The Dolphins needs to draft or sign in free agency a #2 WR to play opposite Waddle and also develop a solid #3 WR over the next 2 years.

If Parker remains on the team and can contribute on a regular basis, great. I just wouldn’t count on him for more than 6-8 games a season based on his history history as a Miami Dolphin.

He’s who all the tackle needy teams are gonna want. Hope we can snag him

Yeah it’s a weak tackle class in FA, I’d make him my top priority. If not stack the interior and kick hunt back to RT (just not ideal I like him at RG)

The real upside to drafting players is their contract value... At this point, the problem on the OL isnt cost, its quality. They'd be much better served to go the FA way with players who's output can be predicted better. The draft isnt the place to fix urgent problems.
I agree. Fill the o-line with veterans who are competent, and then slowly work in draftees. If Grier and Flores had any brains, this is what they should have done to open this season! Starting four guys with little to no experience is why the offense struggles.

Back
Top Bottom