Do you agree with the decision to keep Wanny and adding a GM? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you agree with the decision to keep Wanny and adding a GM?

Do you agree with the decision to keep Wanny and getting a GM?

• Yes

Votes: 44 53.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 47.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Da 'Fins

Actually, Dave did not draft Ogun (Jimmy did). And, you've listed Chambers and McMichael - but who is the "etc.?"

Is Donald Lee an up and comer? Who knows. He may be no better than he is. That's the way it often is.

Is Wade Smith going to be light years better (he needs to be)? He has been talked about glowingly from the coaches in the preseason - but the fact is, he has not really proven that he will EVER be a good LT. He may gain 15 lbs of muscle in the off-season and still not have the physical talent or the mental game to compete successfully as a LT in the NFL.

Really, you can point to Chambers and McMichael as the only solid choices.

Nevertheless, I agree that it's more his coaching than talent evaluation that is the problem.

That is my point exactly... I have no idea wether several players from that draft will excel or not... and neither does any one else. Why call it a blown draft when we do not yet know the full potential of the players that were taken in it?

According to my sources (www.miamidolphins.com), Wanny has been HC since January 16th 2000. Also according to the same site, O-gun was brought in as an undrafted FA on April 26th 2000... therefore making him a selection of Dave's first offseason as HC. He gets credit for that one.

The etc beside Chambers and McMichael refer to the up-and-commers that I mentioned... and some I didn't such as Tolver. Ricky might has well be added in there... as it cost us 2 1st rounders to pick him up... it's a bit unfair not to consider him, as we'll never know what dave could have done with those two picks. Also Travis Minor who is a VERY solid backup... and could probably start on many teams that don't have a Ricky Williams. Come to think of it, Leonard Henry would probably be a solid backup that could start for some teams if he didn't play for a team with such good depth at RB.

That's not a half-bad list considering how stacked we are on D, and the position we've put ourselves in regarding 1st round picks. Again I repeat... is the draft history of DW the best? No. But it is by no means the largest factor holding this team back, IMO. With our D, we SHOULD be able to scheme an O that would compliment it enough to win games... however we've won WAY too many games purely on the merits of the D... with no contribution from the O at all. It's plainly obvious to me that Dave's game planning and utilization of the talent he has on O is a critical chink in this team's armor. Correct me if I'm wrong (and it's entirely possible) but wasn't the 11-5 team put together by Wanny after JJ left done before he fired Kippy Brown and began to get extensivly involved with the O?

Looks like I would be part of the minority in bringing back DW...

I wanted the FO to change somethings, and they are doing that. They are bringing in someone that can gage talent better than DW...

Some of us still think this team is very talented (maybe were are being delusional).

Look at NE, if you think they have no talent and all their wins are based on just coaching, or luck (14 straight wins) you better stop smoking the illegal stuff. The players are executing their plays, thats because they also have talent and skills combined...

We cannot stop an opponent from scoring with two of our starters out. Our OL could not block Michael Jackson's MoonDance if their lives depended on it. Our replacements are not skilled or talented enough to execute their assignements. Hell, for the most part our starters are not consistantly executing to the extent of their talent, and don't tell me that it's the coaches fault, just his responsibility.

Maybe the coach should fire or paycut these individuals, and I hope the new GM will.

All the talent that we have, has never showed up to play at the same time. This is IMO is one area were this talented team should not be based on stats, but "SMOKE and MIRRORS."

Hopefully our new GM will see through this.

GOOO FIIINZ!

:cooldude:

The team has not had a good draft in a while. It needs an A draft to seat itself as one of the best for the next few years.

I don't think the players are totally responsible, but they are responsible for several losses. DW is responsible for 2-3 losses himself. That is a fair assessment.

I DO think a coach makes a difference.....and that is why we are 10-6 instead of worse. I do however also think the players make a difference as well, although some people seem to believe a player's skill or focus comes from the coach and not the player. I think DW did a good job (considering our O got thrown around every game) for getting us to 10-6....the players also need to take responsibility is all....and actually they are but some 'fans' won't accept this (even from the players) because they want a head on a platter to make themselves feel better. We are 10-6 and are a missed block and missed FG from being 12-4....not even counting other losses due to lack of 'motivation' or 'focus' from players (i.e. gee...we were supposed to play today?).

That's not good enough from a coach? That's not enough preperation or planning? Come on.....

Well... we put ourselves between a rock and a hard place... and it looks to me as though we're burrying our head in the sand instead of trying to get out of it. Here's a pickle for you....
Situation 1: We're uber talented, and just can't utilize that talent to field a solid playoff team.

Situation 2: We're no where near as talented as we think... we're just over estimating our talent.

Some say we shouldn't rebuild... I agree. I am of the Situation 1 camp... and to fix that problem you get a new HC, keep the same schemes and see if you can't get better production out of your players through better coaching and motivation. If situation 2 is true, as some people believe, 1st off why not rebuild if our current talent is over-rated? Second, it's the coaches fault for not realizing that the talent is over-rated and aquiring new talent.

To me, in Wayne H.'s eyes... situation 1 has to be true. Why would you care about "winning now" if you thought your players were over-rated rather than poorly coached? Also if you believe that.... why do you give the poor coach a 2 year extension... then hire someone to rate the players and keep the same person coaching them?

I think Miami is nowhere as talented as it believes it is. Sometimes I start to wonder about alot of players on this D and how they would do in other schemes.

Jaj... an "A" draft IMO would be rebuilding... Miami's "A" draft was aquiring Madison, Surtain, JT, ZT, Bowens in a relatively short timespan. Since then we've needed some personel to put us over the hump, and a HC to scheme to our players strengths.

I don't think we need a total rebuild, rather some tweaking (and I think we all know where). QB, O-line, WR primarily. I think you'll see the GM get rid of 1-2 big time $ makers on D to free up $ for the O and make do with cheaper, but almost equal talent on D. Hopefully that will help put us over the top :)

Yes, I think it is entirely likely that we loose a big name or 2 on the D... but that's kinda scarey to me. The D is the only unit constantly winning us games. If they throw the D for a loop with a cut or two and don't improve the Offense... we're SCREWED.

Originally posted by Jaj
I think Miami is nowhere as talented as it believes it is. Sometimes I start to wonder about alot of players on this D and how they would do in other schemes.

I agree ...

People can make excuses for the players saying they arent motivated, but it was those same players that were in just about every game we played. They also took up for Wanny at the end of season. Those same players were the ones dropping catchable passes all year, tipping passes on the money to Defenders, missing blocks, missing tackles. Isn't talent a part of all of those things? Pro's shouldnt need extrinsic motivation outside of their paycheck. The Head Coach isnt a cheer leader....

That said....if there was a better coach out there I'd certainly want to see a change. But I also feel the same about every other position on the team. I'd like some upgrades in the fans too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by phinphanphrommi
Jaj... an "A" draft IMO would be rebuilding... Miami's "A" draft was aquiring Madison, Surtain, JT, ZT, Bowens in a relatively short timespan. Since then we've needed some personel to put us over the hump, and a HC to scheme to our players strengths.

I also agree with Jaj, this teams D ranking in 01' was # 1. The last year as well as this year they have held a # 10 ranking.

While the Offense has bounced between a # 28 in 01' to a current # 24.

They have the talent to win some and not show up and loose others. It seems on D as well as on O when we get smacked we don't smack back...

Some of us sees this team as full of talent. Thats a laugh, when 2/3 of the money is on the defensive side.

On offense we have one great RB (probowl caliber), one good WR and one good TE. I consider the rest of the starters average at best. Neither the CC or McMike have proven consistency to be called great yet. They need more time for me to call it any better.

On ST, O. Mare has lost his 90% accuracy since 2001 and for the last 2 years he has been 76%. you have to hold your breath, if its a game winning FG.

We keep saying we are winning 11, 9, 10 games a season but it has not been enough to take us no where.

You can see it this way # 1- Our defense is not talented enough to get us anywhere in post season once we get there...or..

# 2- We need to take away some of our so called talented defense $$$ and add it to our talentless offense.

I would consider the # 2 option as the NE O ranking this year is # 5 and D is # 13.

I would consider the # 2 option as the KC O ranking this year is # 5 and D is # 30.

We need some more talent in our offense, I know defense win games but you need to score points to help your D.

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously someone corrupted the vote...

no one wanted to keep Wanne...

Jeez, this whole thing makes me sick...even the security guard at work is teasing me about this news.

Re: Obviously someone corrupted the vote...

Originally posted by RHoffman
no one wanted to keep Wanne...

Jeez, this whole thing makes me sick...even the security guard at work is teasing me about this news.

He has my vote...

All of you keep thinking rookies cannot contribute. Contribute does not mean start. It means you get guys who make plays for you, take over when the veteran is injured. The playoff teams had great drafts and their rookies while not starting the whole season contributed.

Back
Top Bottom