Dolphins And Jets In For Trey Flowers - Signed By Lions | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins And Jets In For Trey Flowers - Signed By Lions

Would love to have him but no way we can afford that. You don't rebuild with high priced free agents, even young ones. If we sign anyone at all this season for close to 17 mil I will have officially lost all hope in this franchise.

Would love to have him but no way we can afford that. You don't rebuild with high priced free agents, even young ones. If we sign anyone at all this season for close to 17 mil I will have officially lost all hope in this franchise.

That's not true at all, a rebuild is all about acquiring talent any means.

Plus it would kill any chance at a compensatory pick if James were to walk

Jets just traded for Osemele - still plenty of cash free though.. apparently Gase may think G play is important - NOW
They still have plenty of space but you'd think at some point all the money they've spent the last two years will catch up to them?
He is a good guard tho and as far as pick they didn't give up much.

No thank you

LT and X need to be extended. They are priorities. Not gonna pay someone else market value right now and make it that much tougher to get them extended

He certainly falls within the above average to just under elite category.
I'm not so sure about that.

Much like the Pats coordinators that leave, historically the "good" players that go elsewhere rarely find the same level of success.

Having said that, I hope Flores is the exception.

Did Flores say that or are you speaking for him?

I would say if he signs him it will speaks volumes about his opinion.

I have no problem with getting young premier talent... we may well have to trade up to get our QB and so this move would ease the pain of the cost of getting our QB.

IMO this is the essential "argument" for signing the dude. But (IMO) the signing would fundamentally violate
the prime directive Grier establish at his intro GM presser (and has subsequently reinforced).

I keep coming back to the fact -- this guy was a 4th rounder -- so let's see our new (and I believe dramatically) improved
scouting staff find us one of those rascals in the draft...

Jets just traded for Osemele - still plenty of cash free though.. apparently Gase may think G play is important - NOW
I doubt Gase is calling the shots with anything close to the say he had here. Not that the jets have been great decision makers in the past.

I don’t understand our interest in this guy
Because of the $?

It's clear that we have no top shelf pass rushers, and are desperately in need of one.

I don't think TF is the answer, but I can understand considering all possibilities.

I sincerely hope we do not land him. We've shown that when we do we let the guy go before year 4 most of the time, and that's probably exactly when we'll start being good … if at all. This just makes no sense if we're rebuilding. If we think we're reloading … then this is just another delusional group of decision makers, and I will be most disappointed.

That's not true at all, a rebuild is all about acquiring talent any means.

I just fundamentally disagree. The idea of a rebuild is you rely on acquiring cheap rookies to shape the core of your roster. You don't start targeting expensive free agents, no matter how tempting, until you have a cheap young base to build on.

There's absolutely nothing different about this move than us signing Suh a few years ago. This is what they supposedly told us we were not doing any longer.

I just fundamentally disagree. The idea of a rebuild is you rely on acquiring cheap rookies to shape the core of your roster. You don't start targeting expensive free agents, no matter how tempting, until you have a cheap young base to build on.

There's absolutely nothing different about this move than us signing Suh a few years ago. This is what they supposedly told us we were not doing any longer.

I mean the Suh contract was record breaking, the contract Flowers would be getting is pretty standard for a top UFA on the market.

Suh was all about Mike Tannenbaum getting the masses to perceive Miami as a destination they want to play for. The team was heading into season 4 with Joe Philbin and the team was coming off an 8-8 season and just signed their franchise QB to a big deal. They were ready to win, at least that was the message.

Flowers is about adding a very good player, hard working, perfect scheme fit to the already young core they are building on defense . . . .all while jettisoning the older guys you speak of. Adding a 25 year old who is a favorite of the head coach you just brought in . . .a guy who knows how vital the player would be for his defense . . . while getting rid of Branch, Wake, Hayes and Quinn . . . .sounds like a team building a foundation.

Rookies and UDFAs cant fill an entire roster. There are plenty of areas Miami will need those types.

I mean get these key players for your team and stop giving the Andre Branch’s and Mario Williams’ 9 million per season.

They keep projecting that Flowers might come here but I really doubt it. I'd like to think that Flores and company can make the defense better without breaking the bank. That defense made Flowers imo. Good player but 17mill is a lot for a team rebuilding. The jets do like making the splash so let them spend the money.
Agreed. He’s being talked up like gets 20 sacks per year. He was disruptive in their scheme - like every other guy in that spot from every other year. Hard pass.

Back
Top Bottom