Dolphins And Jets In For Trey Flowers - Signed By Lions | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins And Jets In For Trey Flowers - Signed By Lions

Yes... but a lot of that scheme is staying in your lane and letting others get the sack.... a great player is a great player... I have to assume Flores knows the value of Flowers!
Good point. And you’re likely right that Flores would know what Flowers brings. For me it’s not so much how good he is or not, but how much we’d have to spend. It didn’t work w Suh and when we got the guy he was the most disruptive DL in the league. He played well for us but I think the consensus was that he wasn’t worth the money. I sense the same thing in the making here, potentially.

We signed Suh to a $19 million AAV deal when the cap was $143 million.

It is not a valid comparison to put Flowers into the same conversation when the AAV/guarantees will be less, yet the cap is nearly 50 million more.

You're totally missing the point. It's not about the salary number compared to Suh. It's the general idea. No one is trying to draw the line at "record breaking contract." Suh was a vastly superior talent, of course he was going to demand more. The point is that we shouldn't be targeting high priced free agents. Whether you think 17 mil is fair for Flowers, that's certainly in the "high priced" category. You don't have to agree that we should avoid these moves, but the comparisson is valid.

Last edited:
You're totally missing the point. It's not about the salary number compared to Suh. It's the general idea. No one is trying to draw the line at "record breaking contract." Suh was a vastly superior talent, of course he was going to demand more. The point is that we shouldn't be targeting high priced free agents. Whether you think 17 mil is fair for Flowers, that's certainly in the "high priced" category. You don't have to agree that we should avoid these moves, but the comparisson is valid.

I disagree its valid, but its ok to disagree.

Suh was a mercenary type signing, Flowers would be coming to play for his defensive coordinator in the same scheme he has played his entire career, a scheme where it is widely known that he is the straw that makes it all come together, even if he hasn’t put up high end sack numbers.

Good point. And you’re likely right that Flores would know what Flowers brings. For me it’s not so much how good he is or not, but how much we’d have to spend. It didn’t work w Suh and when we got the guy he was the most disruptive DL in the league. He played well for us but I think the consensus was that he wasn’t worth the money. I sense the same thing in the making here, potentially.

It depends on where the money is....salaries are rising fast in the NFL what seemed crazy money 3 years ago is more the norm now.

Of course it’s all crazy money to me... but that’s not the point.

I have to trust them to know the pieces they need right now... and again...if they are considering a trade up for a QB this year or next... it could be way to make up for lost draft picks used to obtain that QB!

I disagree its valid, but its ok to disagree.

Suh was a mercenary type signing, Flowers would be coming to play for his defensive coordinator in the same scheme he has played his entire career, a scheme where it is widely known that he is the straw that makes it all come together, even if he hasn’t put up high end sack numbers.

Fair enough, agree to disagree. I don't think it's the same, I just think it's comparable philosophy wise.

Not elite but a good player, young, fits the system. Sounds a lot like OV.... And his free agent contract was vile

Meh.

Teams don’t win by spending big on FA. It’s all about the draft.

Paying 15 to 20 million a year to Flowers is a mistake.

Not elite but a good player, young, fits the system. Sounds a lot like OV.... And his free agent contract was vile

Very good to great player.

And while the similarities to OV cannot be ignored, the results of OV in NYG doesn’t mean that is what is destined for Flowers.

Again, there will be plenty of familiarity and less unknown than what Teams got with Suh and OV respectively.

Meh.

Teams don’t win by spending big on FA. It’s all about the draft.

Paying 15 to 20 million a year to Flowers is a mistake.

No, it's all about the qb.

Until Miami has an elite qb all these signings and draft picks are just nicer tires spinning in the same mud over and over again.

Reports that the Bills and the Jets are also pursuing Trey Flowers. He's going to get paid (big time). Time for Coach Flores to show some persuasion.

Allbright as a personality/QB guy is sort of a hack but he’s normally dead on and ahead when it comes to FA, trades and sometimes the draft

Back
Top Bottom