Dolphins And Jets In For Trey Flowers - Signed By Lions | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins And Jets In For Trey Flowers - Signed By Lions

More than that . . . .a players contract status also plays a factor. Flowers playing on a 4th round rookie deal with no early extension allows him to command more on the market with their being more bidders and no compensation required. Its how OV got paid 3 years ago on a deal that was $17 million AAV.

Seeing Flowers command a similar deal is, dare I say, a bit reasonable. The guy came to work for 4 years on a $1 million dollar a year deal and never complained.

Meanwhile people prop guys like Reshad Jones and others on a pedastool when these dudes have 2 years left on their deal but no more guaranteed money.

But to your point, it really is about the guaranteed money. The AAV is a great talking point but the structure/guarantees make the deal.

Trey did his part and now he has earned the payday and would be a really great fit in our new defense and allow Miami not to overly focus on DE like they did with Charles Harris.
Every time I see a post that mentions Charles Harris I realize that I had forgotten Charles Harris was on the team. Is a pedastool a thing or is it pedastal? I think your word is also correct but you rarely see it - kind of like Charles Harris standing over the QB!

Every time I see a post that mentions Charles Harris I realize that I had forgotten Charles Harris was on the team. Is a pedastool a thing or is it pedastal? I think your word is also correct but you rarely see it - kind of like Charles Harris standing over the QB!

Your way is correct.

But people in my circle enunciate the way I spelled it so it pretty much auto corrects itself to that spelling. I don’t believe the way I have it spelled is an actual word but maybe it is, not sure.

I mean the Suh contract was record breaking, the contract Flowers would be getting is pretty standard for a top UFA on the market.

Suh was all about Mike Tannenbaum getting the masses to perceive Miami as a destination they want to play for. The team was heading into season 4 with Joe Philbin and the team was coming off an 8-8 season and just signed their franchise QB to a big deal. They were ready to win, at least that was the message.

Flowers is about adding a very good player, hard working, perfect scheme fit to the already young core they are building on defense . . . .all while jettisoning the older guys you speak of. Adding a 25 year old who is a favorite of the head coach you just brought in . . .a guy who knows how vital the player would be for his defense . . . while getting rid of Branch, Wake, Hayes and Quinn . . . .sounds like a team building a foundation.

Rookies and UDFAs cant fill an entire roster. There are plenty of areas Miami will need those types.

I mean get these key players for your team and stop giving the Andre Branch’s and Mario Williams’ 9 million per season.

But Suh was also a highly more sought after player than Flowers was. Not saying 17 mil isnt fair for Flowers, just we shouldnt be the team who gives it to him. Theres no point paying anyone that amount of money right now when we dont realistically plan on contending for a SB for the next couple years at least. We shouldnt be targeting top players at their position in FA during a rebuild. It doesnt have to be all rookies and UDFAs. Thats what Dwayne Allen type signings are for.

We spent what, 30 million last year for Wake/Branch/Quinn? You got to have some building blocks on both sides of the ball. But at the same time we have a top 15 pick in a draft where Dline is stacked so..

This is just silly to think the Dolphins will be signing him. If they get rid of Sitton, Kilgore, Quinn, Parker & Spence they will have about 56 million freed up. Then you have Tannehill’s contract which will have 13 million freed up with about the same in dead cap space unless they wait until after June 1st. If they cut him after June 1st, the the dead cap hit is about 7 million. So 56 million plus the 13 for Tannehill takes us to 69 million. They will want to sign resign James which will cost 10 million and extend Howard at possibly 15 million. Then 10 million for draft picks takes you to 35million. That leave approximately 34 million. You want to spend 17 million on Flowers leaving roughly 17 million for holes at QB, C, OG, Wr on offense and 2 more DE’s, lb’s who can cover, a starting boundary corner and at least 2 other corners and finally a centerfield FS. That is insanity in my eyes.

This is just silly to think the Dolphins will be signing him. If they get rid of Sitton, Kilgore, Quinn, Parker & Spence they will have about 56 million freed up. Then you have Tannehill’s contract which will have 13 million freed up with about the same in dead cap space unless they wait until after June 1st. If they cut him after June 1st, the the dead cap hit is about 7 million. So 56 million plus the 13 for Tannehill takes us to 69 million. They will want to sign resign James which will cost 10 million and extend Howard at possibly 15 million. Then 10 million for draft picks takes you to 35million. That leave approximately 34 million. You want to spend 17 million on Flowers leaving roughly 17 million for holes at QB, C, OG, Wr on offense and 2 more DE’s, lb’s who can cover, a starting boundary corner and at least 2 other corners and finally a centerfield FS. That is insanity in my eyes.

Salary cap doesnt quite work like that..

IMO this is the essential "argument" for signing the dude. But (IMO) the signing would fundamentally violate
the prime directive Grier establish at his intro GM presser (and has subsequently reinforced).

I keep coming back to the fact -- this guy was a 4th rounder -- so let's see our new (and I believe dramatically) improved
scouting staff find us one of those rascals in the draft...

That’s true... but what does it really matter What round a premier player comes in?

Does it matter Zach Thomas was a 5th rounder?...Tom Brady a 6th rounder?....Russell Wilson a 3rd rounder?.....Drew Brees a 2nd rounder?

If he’s 25... can fill the whole we would have drafted in round one....the coach knows him completely...and we get our quarterback?

I’m good!

I mean the Suh contract was record breaking, the contract Flowers would be getting is pretty standard for a top UFA on the market.

Suh was all about Mike Tannenbaum getting the masses to perceive Miami as a destination they want to play for. The team was heading into season 4 with Joe Philbin and the team was coming off an 8-8 season and just signed their franchise QB to a big deal. They were ready to win, at least that was the message.

Flowers is about adding a very good player, hard working, perfect scheme fit to the already young core they are building on defense . . . .all while jettisoning the older guys you speak of. Adding a 25 year old who is a favorite of the head coach you just brought in . . .a guy who knows how vital the player would be for his defense . . . while getting rid of Branch, Wake, Hayes and Quinn . . . .sounds like a team building a foundation.

Rookies and UDFAs cant fill an entire roster. There are plenty of areas Miami will need those types.

I mean get these key players for your team and stop giving the Andre Branch’s and Mario Williams’ 9 million per season.

And... the coach knows him intimately... probably the biggest factor!

Agreed. He’s being talked up like gets 20 sacks per year. He was disruptive in their scheme - like every other guy in that spot from every other year. Hard pass.

Yes... but a lot of that scheme is staying in your lane and letting others get the sack.... a great player is a great player... I have to assume Flores knows the value of Flowers!

I like Flowers - but I’m hopeful we pass. Couple reasons- the “Pats Way” isn’t to overspend on this type player.
Main reason- we are multiples seasons away from contention. Priority has to be 2020 high draft pickup, save capital, keep wins down. I’m managing the tank- Flowers doesn’t help the cause.

I don’t think we go there. Flores knows the scheme was a larger factor than Flowers talent. This will be a massive FA overpay for somebody.
He did praise Flowers as being one of his fav players on the team and the feeling was mutual. They gushed all over each other, don't be surprised..

Doesn't seem to match the rebuilding plan, but he's a good player and would solve one end spot. In a sense, it could come down to what happens with James. If Miami loses James, but signs Flowers it opens up the draft for an offensive lineman in round 1.

Back
Top Bottom