Dolphins Defensive Line | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Defensive Line

James had the advantage of playing one position all year, most probably with a limited play book. Minka played 5 positions back there, none great but none badly. Apples and oranges. I see Wilkins playing DE because of his size and mobility. IMO a 3-4 DE needs to be able to set the edge, stalemate the Tackle, and push into the pocket. He's not really a NT because of his anchor.

Disagree. He's unspectacular but reliable. And this could be a format of defense that he thrives in. He's still only 27, too.
Fair enough. I kept an eye on him last year and it felt to me like he was blown out of the way too often, against the run. He seemed to lack that little extra burst too. He'd be a tick late on making plays at times. I'm not a professional scout so I will give him the benefit of the doubt this year. Everything is fresh now.

James had the advantage of playing one position all year, most probably with a limited play book. Minka played 5 positions back there, none great but none badly. Apples and oranges. I see Wilkins playing DE because of his size and mobility. IMO a 3-4 DE needs to be able to set the edge, stalemate the Tackle, and push into the pocket. He's not really a NT because of his anchor.

Wrong. Derwin lined up all over just like Minkah did.

Why does Derwin have to be so good too lol. Whatever, Minkah still dope.

Biggest hit for Grier so far: X
Biggest miss: Harris

I can live with that as long he improves over time, gotta give GM's time to grow.

I was gonna say...it's not like Minkah is garbage. Derwin James is fantastic, but let's also remember that he was being coached by Gus Freaking Bradley, while Minkah was being coached by the DC equivalent of Rich Kotite...and let's see how the rest of their careers play out.

Negative, Ghost Rider.

We had a chance at both Minkah and Derwin. Oliver was off the board before we picked.

Uhh yeah it is. Wilkins and Oliver’s careers will be compared. Both versatile front players probably gonna be asked to do similar things too although buffalos scheme may be more traditional I suppose.

Have to wait and see on that. Doesn’t matter if Oliver went first or not.

Now quinnen Williams yeah that doesn’t make a lot of sense as a comp

It’s possible Oliver doesn’t develop that hand use and under performs. I don’t think it’s likely but we’ll see. That hand use separates him and Aaron Donald on the interior

Last edited:
Uhh yeah it is. Wilkins and Oliver’s careers will be compared. Both versatile front players probably gonna be asked to do similar things too although buffalos scheme may be more traditional I suppose.

Have to wait and see on that. Doesn’t matter if Oliver went first or not.

Now quinnen Williams yeah that doesn’t make a lot of sense as a comp

Perhaps I’ve misunderstood your point.

I'm expecting our DE's to arrive in the 2020 draft or free agency. Until then, we're …. understaffed.

I believe Derwim James finished with one of the top-2 ratings against vs TE's. When you see his tape vs Travis Kelce (who most would consider the best receiving TE in the NFL), it's hard to imagine a lesser TE finding any success against him. This isn't new either. His ability to cover in Man was his best trait coming out (when factoring in the value of the trait). He's the best blitzing and pass-rushing Safety I've ever seen, and even though I was very high on him (Top 5), I still feel like I underrated him. He has the most unique skillset of any player in the 2018 Class. Sometimes high-profile guys fall further than expected, because their play doesn't match the hype, but it's rare to see a high-profile guy, who can do so many valuable things so well, fall the way James did. This is where it's worth pointing out that the bad teams draft early, and many of the same teams draft Top 15 every year - or almost every year.

Fitzpatrick is good, but if Miami bypassed James because of R. Jones, that'd make me worry some about Grier.

I believe Derwim James finished with one of the top-2 ratings against vs TE's. When you see his tape vs Travis Kelce (who most would consider the best receiving TE in the NFL), it's hard to imagine a lesser TE finding any success against him. This isn't new either. His ability to cover in Man was his best trait coming out (when factoring in the value of the trait). He's the best blitzing and pass-rushing Safety I've ever seen, and even though I was very high on him (Top 5), I still feel like I underrated him. He has the most unique skillset of any player in the 2018 Class. Sometimes high-profile guys fall further than expected, because their play doesn't match the hype, but it's rare to see a high-profile guy, who can do so many valuable things so well, fall the way James did. This is where it's worth pointing out that the bad teams draft early, and many of the same teams draft Top 15 every year - or almost every year.

Fitzpatrick is good, but if Miami bypassed James because of R. Jones, that'd make me worry some about Grier.

Both will be pro bowlers but I fully agree.

You do NOT pass on James because of Jones.

Also J, I'm think his lack of production and impact led to his drop too. He had the athletic gifts to go top 5. NFL teams do stupid things, but his lack of production might've been a reason.

Minkah on the other hand was a stud for a dynasty.

Also J, I'm think his lack of production and impact led to his drop too. He had the athletic gifts to go top 5. NFL teams do stupid things, but his lack of production might've been a reason.

Minkah on the other hand was a stud for a dynasty.

Plays like this are what caused him to fall and Minkah to go ahead of him. This is just piss poor technique, bad effort, and flat out don't give a s#^+. You better not put much of this on film if you're a safety. I promise you.

https://i.imgur.com/c17aClN.gif

But if you go back and read my draft threads about the two of 'em, I think his biggest problem was being on a staff that didn't know how to use him - and probably not being fully back to health from his knee injury.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom