Dolphins had some ‘table slams’ during draft. We’ve got educated guesses of when, why | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins had some ‘table slams’ during draft. We’ve got educated guesses of when, why

We just went Miller, Ajayi, Drake. That's pretty solid run actually. The line drafting hasn't been as bad as advertised either....we just haven't had the coaching talent or longevity to develop guys, but a few of been shipped off and been just fine once gone.

Again, i think Grier has had to serve too many masters in the past. He now finally seems to be answering to himself and the coach he actually picked. Most fo the guys we grabbed have talent for days...

I mean Drake was a backup at Bama that could not carry a full load, was not a fan, never did a lot here. Ajayi was great value where we got him but he fell because of his bum knees, I mean is he out of the league? Miller? Eh, none of these guys had Pro Bowl potential. We didn't even attempt to keep Miller.
Look a great point is the coaching, not a Drake fan but seems to be doing nicely with a better scheme fit in Zona.

I mean Drake was a backup at Bama that could not carry a full load, was not a fan, never did a lot here. Ajayi was great value where we got him but he fell because of his bum knees, I mean is he out of the league? Miller? Eh, none of these guys had Pro Bowl potential. We didn't even attempt to keep Miller.
Look a great point is the coaching, not a Drake fan but seems to be doing nicely with a better scheme fit in Zona.
And Saquon Barkley was one the best RB prospects in a decade......Giants were worse than we were with the awful Ballage.

The other aspect to this, is that we are still in the rebuild. RBs don't need years to develop which is great because they suffer the most mileage depreciation of any position. Much rather the oline spend this season gelling, with Tua sitting, and then next offseason unleash Tua and RB 2021, with a line that has come together, before either start taking mileage damage.

Now your just embarrassing yourself. Might want to sit this out for awhile and regroup. I would have taken Swift at 30 but AFTER our other two 1st round picks. But hey the SB Champs took a RB in the 1st so their scouts must suck.

What a weird take, Hell I don't even know what your post means, so Dobbins being a steal falling down the board equates to great value. That is all I know, the rest? Did you take a halluciniginc?
I'm embarrassing myself because you have a love affair with Dobbins? Hardly.

There's a reason he fell. There's a reason he's not looked at as a RB in the mold of Gurley or Zeke, and somehow you've convinced yourself that this was some huge miss and that they'll pay for it by watching the end-of-second-round-All-Pro RB surpass Emmitt Smith's career rushing record.

I'm not the one that needs to sit out for awhile and regroup. There's nothing "special" about Dobbins outside of his college stats.

Don’t sour grape it with your response that the Saints don’t even need him and they are givengood draft grades lol. The Saints are in the playoffs every year because they can evaluate talent!!! They will be able to slide Ruiz over to right guard, no problem. I wanted both McCoy last year and Ruiz this year, but it didn’t happen. You should be upset with the Dolphins front office instead of bitching about the Saints lol. Our line has been terrible for so long and we had the opportunity to draft McCoy last year with our 42nd pick but instead we trade the pick to the Saints and they end up drafting Mccoy (Pro bowl in rookie year lol) . We package their pick at 48 along with our 4th for Rosen and at the time most everyone on this site thought that was such a steal by our front office. Rosen gets in 6 games with 3 starts and they decide he’s not the guy Lol. I don’t know about you but I would much rather have a perennial pro bowl center in McCoy than a career backup like Rosen. But as some posters on here said “ Rosen can really spin it”. Lol
Fair, but drafting a clear cut #1 at his position to then play him out of position is just dumb to me. Plus they just paid their LG Peat just got a huge contract (gotta start him). And their RG Warford just came off a pro bowl year..... So where is Ruiz going to slide to? You don't draft first round backup OL, it just doesn't make value sense to me. Saints already had an all star interior OL and OTs, can't see him starting unless someone gets injured or they trade someone

Last edited:
Come post this nonsense after our rebuild and we become a great team.

How many years have you been saying this chief?

One year....eventually....you will be right and can pat yourself on the back.

Fair, but drafting a clear cut #1 at his position to then play him out of position is just dumb to me. Plus they just paid their LG Peat just got a huge contract (gotta start him). And their RG Warford just came off a pro bowl year..... So where is Ruiz going to slide to? You don't draft first round backup OL, it just doesn't make value sense to me. Saints already had an all star interior OL and OTs, can't see him starting unless someone gets injured or they trade someone

BPA makes great value sense. Anyone who has watched the NFL for a number if years should know by now that there is no such thing as a non-need in this league. Unless you' re talking about franchise QBs,no matter what team, no matter what position, it can be a need next year. Whether due to injury, off field escapdes, sudden drop offs in performance: last years strength can be thisyear's weakness. And as draft picks very rarely hit the ground running, drafting for need is a bad way to fill holes.

I'm embarrassing myself because you have a love affair with Dobbins? Hardly.

There's a reason he fell. There's a reason he's not looked at as a RB in the mold of Gurley or Zeke, and somehow you've convinced yourself that this was some huge miss and that they'll pay for it by watching the end-of-second-round-All-Pro RB surpass Emmitt Smith's career rushing record.

I'm not the one that needs to sit out for awhile and regroup. There's nothing "special" about Dobbins outside of his college stats.

Since when did I say he was Gurley or Zeke? Never advocated for him other than he was great value dropping like he did. We disagree about how good he is, he was the strongest of the top tier prospects, has break away speed and other qualities that NO RB on our roster has.

Actually for draft value he doesn’t need to be Elliott he just needs to be better than Matt Brieda. You know the consolation prize. Dude your like the boxer that thinks he is winning a fight but has been beat to a pulp and wants more. Tell your corner to throw in the towel.

And Saquon Barkley was one the best RB prospects in a decade......Giants were worse than we were with the awful Ballage.

The other aspect to this, is that we are still in the rebuild. RBs don't need years to develop which is great because they suffer the most mileage depreciation of any position. Much rather the oline spend this season gelling, with Tua sitting, and then next offseason unleash Tua and RB 2021, with a line that has come together, before either start taking mileage damage.

I like you so maybe I am not explaining myself right. I would NEVER want Miami to draft a Barkley that high. I wanted the best RB in this draft at the END of the 1st. At that point we have two more prospects already in tow.
That was nice value and apparently the SB Champs thought so. I liked Swift and Taylor.
Truth be told if Tua is as good as we think he can be we won’t need a premier back. I mean NE never has a great back, KC didn’t but just upgraded. But hopefully we get some nice skill people to help our stud QB next year.

Tua
Jackson
Swift
Winfield
Hunt
That would have been the start of the draft for me.

BPA makes great value sense. Anyone who has watched the NFL for a number if years should know by now that there is no such thing as a non-need in this league. Unless you' re talking about franchise QBs,no matter what team, no matter what position, it can be a need next year. Whether due to injury, off field escapdes, sudden drop offs in performance: last years strength can be thisyear's weakness. And as draft picks very rarely hit the ground running, drafting for need is a bad way to fill holes.

Thank You!

How do you know what their BPA is if you have no idea what their board looks like

Obviously you can go to scouting sites, gurus, etc... and come up with consensus or you can follow our FO and do the opposite. In all seriousness people study this ALL year long. Hell Ted Slimm is putting up 2021 prospects NOW.

Weird pick? Unexpected perhaps. But I reckon he was their BPA. That's what successful franchises do. And the evidence backs them up on it:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-nfl-teams-should-sign-for-need-and-draft-for-value

Right. Sean Payton knows the value of inside OL strength (especially with a QB like Brees).

The consistent power teams invest on the LOS with smarts and don't mind using picks to

build on strength as opposed to chasing the chickens around in the yard!

That said if Ruiz would have been on the board for our pick I think there's a damn fine chance we grab him.

The offseason breeds way too many outhouse GM's. I love it when we get these 'newcomers' who come in knowing just how to fix everthing, and mostly just disagree with the orginazation and most of the board members just to get their post count up, apparently. Arguing after the fact is moot....

Back
Top Bottom