dolphins have engaged talks with the raiders and browns | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

dolphins have engaged talks with the raiders and browns

Whoa.... A top 10 NFL tackle??? Easy now..

You can pick one up in the later rounds and not give up 2 extra picks... Especially how deep this draft is. A second round pick is basically a first.

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

He's not worth it.....

COMPLETELY agree with this.

Dallas traded for the Rams #6. Giving up their #14 and #45. I could see us trading our #12 and #52 for the #6 pick. Might have to throw in a 4th or 5th. Honestly no one seems worth trading for. Maybe Milliner or Fisher if either one falls to #6.

So, if Martin is suddenly a super awesome RT (which totally contradicts what those who have been against him at LT have been saying when defending the need to draft a T in the first), does that mean we don't need to waste first round picks on the goddamn offensive line after this year? Assuming, of course, we do it again this year. On the bright side, it should satisfy the line-play lovers so we don't have to hear the panicked "Jake Wrong is gone!" nonsense next year. Oh wait, we'll probably need to use a high pick on a guard, because apparently this staff is completely incapable of scouting offensive line talent where they should be picked later in the draft.

I also like how trading multiple picks and drafting for need is okay so long as it's for an OT, but if need lies in another position (say QB prior to last year), you go strictly BPA.

high pick offensive guard next year would not surprise me in the least...ha ha they need to get more athletic at the position...

high pick offensive guard next year would not surprise me in the least...ha ha they need to get more athletic at the position...

So they are utterly incompetent when it comes to scouting later line talent. Sounds right.

NOW is the time to get the tackle because now is when that tackle can make so much of a difference. Our WR corps is sick, our RBs decent if not better than that, our TE position is decent, our QB position is decent if not better than that (possibly excellent). Filling that OT hole convincingly is a pretty big necessity and getting that guy on a rookie contract is the best way to go. We should've gotten Matt Ryan when we got Jake Long, but that situation was almost the exact opposite of the situation we're now in.

Ireland has been trying his hardest to trade up for a top DE in the first round the past couple of years after drafting a glaring need in the first round. For sure if we are going to trade up it will be for a LOT or DE opposite of Wake. Unless it is a top 3 pick talent that drops to the 6th thru 10th pick I do not see trading is it worth it this year. Oakland sits at the number 3 draft spot and Cleveland at number 6. Soo my hope if we do this that would be that we give up a 3rd for Lane Johnson with Cleveland if we are going that route. Of course I would perfer myself we go the DE route with either Bjoern Werner of Fla State, or one of the OLB prospects with that first round pick and hope for OL help in the 2nd.
Look Martin, Gardner and even John Jerry can play LT to some degree and there will certainly be some ROT available later in the draft and FA later.
The conerback situation is much more dire IMO even with the signing of Grimes. If you spell it out we have at the CB position currently coming off a bad tendon, Marshall coming off a bad back/ plus never played that well last year, Patterson cut from 2 teams with reports he does not play hurt, Carroll whom primaiirly is a nickle and get nicked up and Wilson in a pinch who is more safty than corner. We need to settle that area down this draft but not with our first round pick.

So they are utterly incompetent when it comes to scouting later line talent. Sounds right.

Whoa now Ireland is picking for Philbin not Tony anymore and you can bet your dukes that Tony had input on his offensive lineman every year while here in the draft or FA. In fact last year was the first time since Tony left that we did not spend a tremendous amount of FA resourses and or first round pick on the OL. Martin played fine to for a 2nd round pick. Rumour around here with that Philbin had input on 2 of the draft picks Egnew and Cunningham last year for his team both of whom struggled the most as rookies.

NOW is the time to get the tackle because now is when that tackle can make so much of a difference. Our WR corps is sick, our RBs decent if not better than that, our TE position is decent, our QB position is decent if not better than that (possibly excellent). Filling that OT hole convincingly is a pretty big necessity and getting that guy on a rookie contract is the best way to go. We should've gotten Matt Ryan when we got Jake Long, but that situation was almost the exact opposite of the situation we're now in.
Wallace was a great pick up and certainly opens things up, but I wouldn't go that far. We could certainly use more upgrades there. As for RB, it's still an unknown at this point. We know Thomas sucks and that Miller has a lot of potential, but that's about it. TE was upgraded with Keller, but a 2 TE set would be amazing (Eifert, Ertz, etc.). We also need better pass rush opposite Wake and our secondary still has holes outside of Grimes and Jones. So, OT is not our only need. If one falls to us, I'm all for it. But trading up? No thanks.

Whoa now Ireland is picking for Philbin not Tony anymore and you can bet your dukes that Tony had input on his offensive lineman every year while here in the draft or FA. In fact last year was the first time since Tony left that we did not spend a tremendous amount of FA resourses and or first round pick on the OL. Martin played fine to for a 2nd round pick. Rumour around here with that Philbin had input on 2 of the draft picks Egnew and Cunningham last year for his team both of whom struggled the most as rookies.
Don't know what that has to do with our inability to improve our offensive line with anything but top picks. And if it is true that Martin was drafted as a RT in the second round, I expect a hell of a lot more. A second round RT should never be a project. 2nd round LT? Sure, I expect a little work being needed, but not RT.

And not sure where you are getting your rumors about Philbin's input. I'm sure he had plenty of input in all of the picks.

the oline should be set by now...should be looking at depth pretty much...but we did make a scheme switch with a lot of guys that weren't great fits for the new one...we need some athletes up front other than pouncey...

This is why i don't think OL at #12 is a bad move. Only Pouncy and Martin actually fit the new blocking scheme. i think we need a tackle and another guard as well. Both of the athletic WCO mold. Hoops can fill in the names for me. We finally got our QB so lets protect him and maybe get a running game going as well.

Well, Louis who we just signed fits the scheme. He's coming off injury but when he gets healthy you can pencil him at right guard. So that's Louis, Pouncy, and Martin. Samuda I feel can fit the scheme but don't know if he has the talent to become a starter but at worst he's depth. Really it's the left side of our line that needs upgrading. A LT and LG. we can get one of those in round 1. If we miss out on one of the tackles then hopefully we can get Cooper for our guard.

A good point was making in one of the twitter feeds on the side . It was that the times Tannehill struggled last year were mainly because of protection break downs not so much from lack of play makers.

i have not studied the film but that sounds right to me. I have hope for Martin but he was very mediocre if not bad at LT . Garner was our starter at RT and we all know he's just a back up. This definitely needs to be upgraded if we want Ryan to have a chance to succeed.

Back
Top Bottom