Dolphins / Hurricane Irma thread | Page 49 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins / Hurricane Irma thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this hurricane isn't like Hurricane Ike back in 2008. That came so far inland that we got 80 mph winds and thousands in Ohio without power for 2-3 weeks. I was so pissed, my job lost power and still wouldn't let me go home. Miami got worked over in Arizona that day. Could only hear about on the radio. What a terrible day that was.

Philly sounds great to me. Only three hours from me.

I'd hate for the fans who have tickets to lose out, but if the game is in Philly, I will DEFINITELY be there. I think the Dolphins will be well-represented. I don't like any of the options, but a decision needs to be made. Hate to lose a home game and hate to lose a bye, but we have to lose 1 of them. I haven't read all of the pages, but I was listening to NFL network on my way home, and apparently, even though Carolina and Atlanta are away this week, neither stadium is available for a football game.

I live in West Palm Beach, I'm hoping for it to get pushed more out east or down south more. If not my house just got upgraded this past year with hurricane protection windows, doors and garage door. Only thing I'm worried about is if it floods, there's no protection for that.

Seeking some advice.

I'm in east Fort Lauderdale. I live in a condo with concrete walls all around, a concrete roof and impact windows. My neighbors say they are staying here saying its just as safe as a shelter considering the construction. There is also a concrete stairwell that is like a bomb shelter. I live on the 4th floor, so not a flood risk. I was considering flying out to stay with family out of state, but the flights are all booked and price gouging is insane, so that's out of the question.

My options are:

1. Hunker down in my condo
2. Go to a shelter
3. Try to drive as far north as I can starting tomorrow

What would you do? Consider I also have a 1 year old child and a cat, which would make a shelter a supremely uncomfortable experience, as would a potential drive out.

My concerns about driving is that we'd run out of gas somewhere around Orlando and be unable to refuel, plus the insane traffic out as more evacuations are issued. I REALLY don't want to be stuck in the middle of the state in an unsafe structure with a massive hurricane still bearing down on us.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

The Marlins are on the road starting Thursday and will be taking their families with them. Should be an interesting time for them too.

Seeking some advice.

I'm in east Fort Lauderdale. I live in a condo with concrete walls all around, a concrete roof and impact windows. My neighbors say they are staying here saying its just as safe as a shelter considering the construction. There is also a concrete stairwell that is like a bomb shelter. I live on the 4th floor, so not a flood risk. I was considering flying out to stay with family out of state, but the flights are all booked and price gouging is insane, so that's out of the question.

My options are:

2. Go to a shelter

What would you do? Consider I also have a 1 year old child and a cat, which would make a shelter a supremely uncomfortable experience, as would a potential drive out.

My concerns about driving is that we'd run out of gas somewhere around Orlando and be unable to refuel, plus the insane traffic out as more evacuations are issued. I REALLY don't want to be stuck in the middle of the state in an unsafe structure with a massive hurricane still bearing down on us.

I'm putting up my shutters and staying in my first floor condo.

Seeking some advice.

My options are:

2. Go to a shelter

I have never lived in a hurricane prone area but I would get in the car and drive north!! tonight!!

Seeking some advice.

My options are:

2. Go to a shelter

I have never lived in a hurricane prone area but I would get in the car and drive north!! tonight!!

Seeking some advice.

My options are:

2. Go to a shelter

It's a personal decision and U wish ypu and fam all the luck possible. Just realize that your power will be out for a considerable time if storm hits like predicted and if you stay, food, water needs to be stickpiled as you will be homebound for say a week, maybe less. Especially supplies for the little one and cat.

If you can deal with the power loss and your windows are rated 150 plus you could wait it out imo. I am Sandy trained. I would keep a puece of plywood just in case a window blows so ypu have a back up plan. Hardest is the power outage which will be lengthy. Have led lights, batteries, candles for nighttime sanity. God speed bro

Seeking some advice.

My options are:

2. Go to a shelter

Leave. Its a no brainer.
Is it just you, kid and cat?
Any other adult?
The one year old is tough especially with driving, but even tomorrow you still have three full days to get out of dodge.
Storms not hitting until Sunday.
I dont understand why you would run out of fuel?
There are gas stations on the way.
If you have close family anywhere north of Orlando go their. At least if you are north of Orlando by sunday you will have a good idea where its going.
Shoot I would drive all night. I prefer it to driving in the day anyway.

Even if all goes well with your condo. You will potentially be without power and water. If something happens and you stay you are absolutely FUBAR.

It's a personal decision and U wish ypu and fam all the luck possible. Just realize that your power will be out for a considerable time if storm hits like predicted and if you stay, food, water needs to be stickpiled as you will be homebound for say a week, maybe less. Especially supplies for the little one and cat.

If you can deal with the power loss and your windows are rated 150 plus you could wait it out imo. I am Sandy trained. I would keep a puece of plywood just in case a window blows so ypu have a back up plan. Hardest is the power outage which will be lengthy. Have led lights, batteries, candles for nighttime sanity. God speed bro

Thanks for all the responses. I was here during Wilma (though at my mom's condo) and we were out of power for 2 weeks. It was miserable with the heat after the cold front disappeared. We stocked up OK but I think Im going to make another run tomorrow. The good thing is that our neighbors are all in the building with their own supplies and grills and stuff. I'm heavily leaning on staying. I really wished I could get a flight out, but the time to do that was yesterday.

Seeking some advice.

My options are:

2. Go to a shelter

The advice I give is you have to do what you are comfortable doing. Living in the Bahamas is slightly different as our driving options are limited on an island but my first priority is the safety of my family which includes 3 dogs and 3 cats and they are not being left anywhere by themselves. My house can and will take a hurricane as it was built for it and I'm extremely comfortable staying in it as we did last year with Hurricane Mathew.

If you stay at home prepare as if you will be stuck there for some time after the hurricane passes so get supplies to last, especially dry good that won't spoil. I have a generator which helps a lot.

The safety of the one year old is your priority and it sounds like your building is safe so I would strongly consider staying.

Watch it closely in the next few days and get prepared. Never wait too late to make a decision. Good luck and be safe whatever you decide.

Seeking some advice.

My options are:

2. Go to a shelter

I'd hang out there so long as you are adequately prepared/supplied for everyone to survive without leaving the building for a week or so. A lot of fatalities are caused by traffic jams that literally last for days and people get stuck in their cars as the storm follows them. Batten down the hatches and ride it out is generally the safest course of action unless you live in a trailer anywhere in the path or on the first or second floor East of I-95.

Leave. Its a no brainer.
Is it just you, kid and cat?
Any other adult?
The one year old is tough especially with driving, but even tomorrow you still have three full days to get out of dodge.
Storms not hitting until Sunday.
I dont understand why you would run out of fuel?
There are gas stations on the way.
If you have close family anywhere north of Orlando go their. At least if you are north of Orlando by sunday you will have a good idea where its going.
Shoot I would drive all night. I prefer it to driving in the day anyway.

Even if all goes well with your condo. You will potentially be without power and water. If something happens and you stay you are absolutely FUBAR.

I'm hearing Tampa and Orlando are already running out of gas. People are already travelling north. It might be doable, but still a risk. I just do not want to be in a situation where I'm riding out a cat 3 hurricane in a hotel room.

I have my wife with me also. So a wife, a baby and a cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom