Dolphins need to enroll Tua in judo classes. I am serious. He doesn't know how to properly fall. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins need to enroll Tua in judo classes. I am serious. He doesn't know how to properly fall.

I remember seeing this video of a prominent track and field athlete who was given that advice, after she had fallen twice and broken her arm:

The OP is right on but we actually should teach all of our QBs how to fall properly. Mandatory for anyone playing QB in Miami including practice squad. With our offensive lines we typically throw out we need this.

That was ridiculous. When you fall forwards you have much better control over how you fall. You can put your arms out. Why would you contort your body so you fall backwards?
I almost feel as if he's been taught to do that to either avoid hurting his shoulders or his surgically repaired hip....at the expense of his back and head?

I do realize this is an older thread but turns out it was prophetic...sort of;

To Tagovailoa's credit, he's putting in the effort to avoid injury, spending this offseason learning jiu-jitsu techniques to improve his ability to avoid injury when falling. It might sound extreme, but that's how important staying on the field is to Tagovailoa.

Look at this.

And remember when he hit his head on the turf several times in the first few weeks?

We need to teach Tua how to fall properly. Judo teaches you to tuck your chin in and slap the ground with your hands/arms to avoid hitting your head. It becomes second nature.

One time I was on a job site, and I was distracted (my own fault, rarely ever happens). Someone had borrowed one of our smaller ladders and replaced it with a 12 foot ladder. I wasn't paying attention (again, my fault) and I just forgot, and as I was going down the ladder, I thought I had reached the ground, but instead there was still 3 or so more ladder rungs to go. I fell backwards off the ladder, and my judo instincts kicked in and I tucked my chin into my chest, my arms winged out and slapped the ground and my back slammed into the ground but my head did not even graze the concrete floor. I was fine. No injury, not even a bruise on my back. Got right back up, laughed, and went back to work.

Tua needs to learn how to fall. I understand he has a helmet on, but I feel there can be things done to help teach him how to contort his body or avoid injury better. If you look at the tape, he becomes a ragdoll and allows the defender to do whatever they want with him. He should be countering their momentum for his benefit, so he can hit the ground in much safer ways.

I am serious, Mike McDaniels should have the Dolphins put him in Judo classes or something. Teach him the best mechanics of how to fall when a defender is tackling you at different angles.

This might prolong his career and avoid serious injury.

maybe he should take limbo lessons instead. there is some obvious talent

Look at this.

And remember when he hit his head on the turf several times in the first few weeks?

We need to teach Tua how to fall properly. Judo teaches you to tuck your chin in and slap the ground with your hands/arms to avoid hitting your head. It becomes second nature.

One time I was on a job site, and I was distracted (my own fault, rarely ever happens). Someone had borrowed one of our smaller ladders and replaced it with a 12 foot ladder. I wasn't paying attention (again, my fault) and I just forgot, and as I was going down the ladder, I thought I had reached the ground, but instead there was still 3 or so more ladder rungs to go. I fell backwards off the ladder, and my judo instincts kicked in and I tucked my chin into my chest, my arms winged out and slapped the ground and my back slammed into the ground but my head did not even graze the concrete floor. I was fine. No injury, not even a bruise on my back. Got right back up, laughed, and went back to work.

Tua needs to learn how to fall. I understand he has a helmet on, but I feel there can be things done to help teach him how to contort his body or avoid injury better. If you look at the tape, he becomes a ragdoll and allows the defender to do whatever they want with him. He should be countering their momentum for his benefit, so he can hit the ground in much safer ways.

I am serious, Mike McDaniels should have the Dolphins put him in Judo classes or something. Teach him the best mechanics of how to fall when a defender is tackling you at different angles.

Good call…now suggest he takes “feeling the pressure” and “throwing the ball away” lessons from Dan Marino and we might have something? 😉

Look at this.

FanSince93 - You are now the Oracle!

I humbly pass my wand to you… Use it well and without prejudice - keep the predictions coming!

💥🗝🧬🕰🖨✈️🎲🎹🏆🏄‍♂️🥌🏉🧂🥃🍯🍙🪐🌜🐾🕶🧳🎩🧛‍♂️🥷👩🏻👁🙏🏻🤖👺🗝

Here are your tools… Use them wisely and remember to keep the wand oiled occasionally with WD-40… Also this is the most important thing… When the next oracle reveals himself on the board please pass all these tools and the wand over to him or her!

I will now recede into the ether and wish you the best of fortune!

The Retired Oracle 🤠

It's because he's left-handed. If you reverse the image he falls beautifully. :lol:
Yes as a fellow left-hander I always say to people that I meet who also are gifted in that manner…you, me and Einstein!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom