Dolphins Owner Stephen Ross Wasn't Exactly Blown Away By Team's Early-round Picks | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Owner Stephen Ross Wasn't Exactly Blown Away By Team's Early-round Picks

I think this means this year is do or die for 17. If we don’t move forward, the draft next year will not be sit and hope for a player. We will get a new qb at any cost.

ANY time Ross gets involved in football decisions it is bad for the Dolphins.

This is exactly why T-bomb was able to worm his way into this organization.

Not just the fact that this happened, but the fact that ANYONE who gets paid by Ross would dare squeal this to the press basically says it all.
Ross now will pressure the staff because they didn't follow his suggestion.
He is ruining the season before it even begins.

More like the guy who leaked the info, if so, would be on the hook for the so called "ruining the season" label. If no one is playing devils advocate on picks that would not be a good thing. Such conversations are to be private with a united stance after leaving the room. Ross is not the bad guy in this. And for the record, since Ross did get involved in the discussion in the draft room, you say that is bad for the Dolphins, even though the team picked who they wanted? So you don't like the picks then? Or are you just tossing mud around at Ross. If I owned the team I'd be asking some questions as well.

Ross has no clue that was a terrible move. NFL is a passing league, and the Fitzpatrick addition was awesone. Get a clue Ross.

It seems odd that these stories are coming up. Ross hasn't really said much over the years about player acquisitions that I can remember.

Interesting, though, that the board (for the most part) seems pretty happy with the draft. I guess if this is true at least Ross listened to his football people.

It seems odd that these stories are coming up. Ross hasn't really said much over the years about player acquisitions that I can remember.

Interesting, though, that the board (for the most part) seems pretty happy with the draft. I guess if this is true at least Ross listened to his football people.
Listening to Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn on Sirius today that Mr. Ross now is questioning himself because he hired the executives running the draft.

What if the offer to trade down was so lopsided in favor of the Dolphins that Ross felt compelled to speak out?

What if the offer to trade down was so lopsided in favor of the Dolphins that Ross felt compelled to speak out?
Lopsided in our favor? You jest. Never been in that situation maybe no one knew what to do so they stayed pat.

We knew the Jets and Bills were taking the top two and three quarterbacks this year and we will be facing them for the next maybe ten years, not to mention Brady for another year or two, the smart chess move is to get a high quality guy to harass or foil them and Minkah, a top five or six guy, falling to us at eleven it made zero sense not to jump on that.

What a stupid article. First of all like someone else said we aren't getting the full story here and at the end of it them questioning why fans should be fired up about the picks is just idiotic. First of all we have our own opinions, and I don't think many of us actually believe that Ross knows more about football, or player evaluation, or hell even what's good for the team than any other casual fan. He certainly hasn't shown that he does.

So how does his hiring of Adam Gase fit in your paradigm?

Wouldn't have believe it unless I saw it in black and white. (Ross concerned about saving money) I love the fact that he has challenged his guys to think outside the box and make something happen, not just lay back and accept the way things are, however, he pays these guys to make those kinds of decisions which he allowed them to do......it was good to see him back down and let the process work.

No one will ever convince me Ross waited until Miami was on the clock before "imploring" for a trade down. If he were that passionate, he'd have made his opinion known before draft day ("hey, if all 4 QBs are gone when we're up, let's trade down"). I don't believe it was money and don't believe there was "imploring." Far more likely he expressed an opinion but was not so wedded to his position he considered pulling rank.

From what I gathered, Ross wanted his group to think strategically in the draft. This doesn't mean he doesn't like the picks (I didn't read that) or how the draft ended up, more more of the idea: "can we get more by trading back, is the level of player at 20 or wherever a too big of a drop-off." I'm just speculating, but you add another 2nd rounder you can not only address whatever position in round 1, but now you have a 2nd, 2nd round pick to address another area of need with a top 50 or so player.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but I don't mind him speaking up (his team) and just making sure that they are making the best possible decisions. I think it may be because he doesn't know as much about the players coming out and wanted the staff to convince that this is the best way to go. In the end, it is either going to work or it isn't...in one we win by going to the playoffs, the other we win by getting rid of Tannebaum.

Personally, and granted, my job is not on the line, I really like the picks we made, Minkah has the ability to have a significant impact on the defense, not just in the plays he makes personally, but is his ability to know the defense and make sure his teammates are doing their job. We saw far too often, players out of position or miscommunication on the back end and that area alone could be fixed just by his presence...if it means 10-20 less big plays a season, that could mean a win or two more. Gesicki has the ability to make DCs nervous, granted that impact may be a year off and we may get just some solid production, but at some point, he could be the guy teams have to scheme for and that bodes well for everyone on the offense.

Yes, both are the best case scenarios, but so is every projection teams have when they draft guys.

We knew the Jets and Bills were taking the top two and three quarterbacks this year and we will be facing them for the next maybe ten years, not to mention Brady for another year or two, the smart chess move is to get a high quality guy to harass or foil them and Minkah, a top five or six guy, falling to us at eleven it made zero sense not to jump on that.
The last draft to have that many successful qbs at the top of the draft was Rivers, Eli, and Big Ben. Again it’s rare and not all of the qbs drafted this year will be successful long term.

So how does his hiring of Adam Gase fit in your paradigm?
The jury is still out on Gase, but he was well regarded in the league and we all know he didn't make that decision on his own. The fact is that we really don't know how many "final" decisions he's made in regards to football operations but we do know that the team for the most part has been at or below average while he's been an owner.

Back
Top Bottom