Dolphins Owner Stephen Ross Wasn't Exactly Blown Away By Team's Early-round Picks | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Owner Stephen Ross Wasn't Exactly Blown Away By Team's Early-round Picks

So a Boston Globe reporter who covers the patriots has a story on a division rival. that is inyeresting... I'm not buying it.

I'm reading this as he understands the stockpiling pick strategy and wants to be more like the smarter teams in the leavue.

The money issue is BS. He has never refused to spend his money even for foolish reasons.

I think he was watching to much ESPN and didn't agree with our selections based on their top 100. A lot of owners don't understand the actual scouting process to begin with. Only what they hear on the network television
Not sure if you recall or not, but one of our top Dolphins Beat Reporters a couple years back was a guy named Ben Volin. But the Dolphins nation is a smaller fan base and our papers simply do not pay anything close to what "major" papers do, so he left to join ... you guessed it ... the Boston Globe.

It was a huge step up for him, even if he now has to cover the Patriots. You will periodically see him saying very nice, respectful and knowledgeable bits about the Miami Dolphins. Usually it is woven into a piece on the AFC East or a larger article about the Patriots ... he has to pay the bills of course. But, yeah, he still has contacts here and still has a great respect and admiration for the Miami Dolphins, so you now see the Boston Globe with info on the Dolphins.

Most of the decent reporters leave. Same thing happened when Jeff Darlington left for the NFL Network. That's why we are constantly stuck with the Omar Kelly type guys who hate the Dolphins but cover us to generate click-bait ... because they're never offered better jobs.

Last edited:
Look, Ross doesn't know football, but he surely isn't the first clueless owner who wants to muck around. The good news is that he trusted his football people and we drafted Minkah Fitzpatrick. He's pouring mountains of money into the Dolphins, paying for the half-a-billion stadium upgrades out of his own pocket, and letting the football people in the front office make the football decisions. Not sure what more we can really ask of Ross?

Al Davis knew football, and he screwed up the Raiders drafts for years. Jerry Jones knew football, and he chased off the goose that laid the golden egg (Jimmy Johnson). Jerry Richardson knows football, and he refuses to even put his team's logo at the 50 yard line (Carolina has the NFL Shield) and is losing his team. Are you SURE you want an owner who knows football?

Then there are those owners who treat their franchises as their businesses rather than a play thing status symbol. Those who treat it like a business, end up cutting costs and flirting with the salary cap FLOOR, like Cleveland.

Or those owners who want to be a vocal part of their team's activities like Jim Irsay of Indianapolis or Dan Snyder of Washington.

No thanks!

I'm OK with a super-rich dude who writes the checks and lets the football people make the football decisions. And personally, what I've seen from Grier makes me comfortable with him leading that room of decision makers. We're finally not terrible at drafting ... let's not rock the boat NOW!!!!!

All I can say is, if we finish 7-9 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs again, Ross is not going to be happy camper and somebodies head will roll.

Maybe the FO are on a shorter leash than we thought?

Well maybe If Ross was against it, that's a good sign.

I just don't get this article. Ross wondering if we should trade back for more capital is WORLDS apart from being upset about the picks we got. Not a single quote from Ross suggests he felt anything close to what the title infers.

This reeks of Armando clickbait. He should be ashamed.

I think Ross wanted a QB. And if he did I think that means he isn't sold on Tannehill.
What you stated is not consistent with trading down. There was no potential RT replacement to be had by trading down - you'd have to trade up for that.

Last edited:
My guess would be that because Arizona jumped ahead of us this took trading down out of the equation.Maybe they could have called around but this I do not know.
Nothing wrong with Ross questioning this with a possibility off adding MORE talent to a team with not a lot.
I would also guess he is not happy with losing Landry and having to roll out with a questionable WR group.

Wouldn't have believe it unless I saw it in black and white. (Ross concerned about saving money) I love the fact that he has challenged his guys to think outside the box and make something happen, not just lay back and accept the way things are, however, he pays these guys to make those kinds of decisions which he allowed them to do......it was good to see him back down and let the process work.

Wife: Why the **** did you buy a brisket?? I told you chickens were on sale 2 for 1 this week!:wall

Me: Because I wanted to smoke a ****ing brisket!:mad:

Wife: This better be good!:rage

Me: Leave me alone I got this...:stop

When its all said and done...

giphy.gif

As I posted in VIP:

He may have thought since he is writing the checks that have more draft picks might increase the chances of success. I am not mad at him but I can definitely understand his concern of not getting the best return on his investment. This is one the reasons I thought this draft had a lot of internal pressure with it to have a very successful one.
I agree with this post. Looking at the impactful drafts if Jimmy Johnson and Bill Billicheat there are lots of trading going on. There is definitely safety in numbers. So Ross doesn't have to be a draft wizard to see trades pay dividends.
Now agree with the posts we had a solid draft and staying put especially in the first couple of rounds was smart. The Smyth pick in the 4th could have been traded back and he could have been picked later. Also Armstrong in the 6 th could have been picked up with one of our 7ths. Obviously we really wanted those guys so call that picky on my part but we could have had a couple more players imo.
Realize also this is like Roses 3rd coaching rodeo, where each current coach blames the prior coaches roster on his current teams performance. Like Ross I am tired of the bellyaching just win the darn games.
I thought we might have found a coach with Gase that could coach anothers teams players after year one. Not so, he is just another coach singing the same song.
Which brings me to explain why I really like that we did not draft a QB early this year. This is Gases team now, no more excuses about having the right players or coaches 'unless of course Ryan T gets hurt again this year.' So if RT stays healthy and we loose then we know Gase is not the man, so we move on yet again next year instead of waiting 3 years or for Gases rookie QB to develop just to learn Gase is not the guy.

Back
Top Bottom