Dolphins pegged for three of the worst trades of last decade | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins pegged for three of the worst trades of last decade

It's ridiculous to think about what the cost of Ricky Williams has been for two NFL teams (Saints, Dolphins).

Basically what you have is: (FOUR) 1st round picks, (ONE) 2nd round pick, (TWO) 3rd round picks, a 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round pick combined.

What does that say about him though?

What does that say about him though?

It says he's the most expensive pothead in league history in terms of draft picks...

In all seriousness, it says a young Ricky Williams was one of the most talented runners ever to lace up a pair of football cleats in the eyes of Mike Ditka and Dave Wannstedt... and I wouldn't disagree with 'em too much on that.

However, all Bill Polian had to do was spend (ONE) 1st round pick on him, but chose to pass and take Edge James instead. When you look at what teams like the Rams, Steelers, Jets, etc. gave up in terms of draft picks in exchange for guys like Marshall Faulk, Jerome Bettis, Curtis Martin, etc... it goes a long way to explaining why things work out the way they do...

Didn't we acquire Welker from San Diego for a 6th round pick and turn him over for a 2nd and a 7th? Sounds like a good deal, definitely not the worst of the decade. These trades have two sides to them you have to look at what you gave up to get the guy and what you got for him in return to have the whole picture.

Didn't we acquire Welker from San Diego for a 6th round pick and turn him over for a 2nd and a 7th? Sounds like a good deal, definitely not the worst of the decade. These trades have two sides to them you have to look at what you gave up to get the guy and what you got for him in return to have the whole picture.

we picked Welker off their PS. But Welker openly talked about while he was here he would always wish he was on the Patriots sideline when we played them. Plus, at the time we did have 2 decent WRs in Chambers and Booker. Welker just ended up fitting better in NE, and they offered him a poison pill contract that would have screwed us. I liked the deal at the time (much as I liked them trading some of our other vets and getting picks), it's too bad that Mueller and Cameron messed it up.

Ricky looks bad cause of all the picks, but for 2 years with us he WAS our offense.

Culpepper was bad. The Feeley trade should be in there.

The Welker thing doesn't bother me, he didn't want to be here and would probably have been a cancer. Dumbte, Feely etc where worse

What immediately came to my mind: Harrington (not sure if we traded for him), Feely, and Culpepper.

The Welker trade was fine, he's made to look much better than he is by Brady and company. He's a quality WR but he wouldn't be making pro bowls and be considered a top 15 WR if he was not playing in NE.

From what I understand we could have tendered Welker with a first which may have changed everything. I'm not sure how true that is but I've seen that arguement here a few times. In hindsight the Pats probably could have traded a first for Welker and whoever we got probably wouldn't have been half as productive anyway.

From what I understand we could have tendered Welker with a first which may have changed everything. I'm not sure how true that is but I've seen that arguement here a few times. In hindsight the Pats probably could have traded a first for Welker and whoever we got probably wouldn't have been half as productive anyway.

Yes we could of, which would have increased his pay as a Dolphin . . . in hindsight we should have tendered a first, but the guy clearly didn't want to be here so the hell with him.

The guy obviously missed the point on the Welker trade. If we didn't trade him we would've gotten the same 2nd round pick anyways. Instead we just added an extra pick that maybe we hit on. I guess you could count it as a mistake in the sense that we should've tendered him with a first rounder. With how much New England values their 2nd rounders, they probably would've made the same move even with a first round tender.

The Feely trade was the absolute worst. A 2nd round pick for an unknown. Speilman made a lot of bad trades during that time period. He traded Ogunleye for Booker and a 3rd. Than traded the 3rd for a runningback(Lamar Gordon if I remember correctly) and he gets hurt right away for us and never plays for us again. Terrible trades in that time frame.

Yeah and when we traded for Lamar Gordon if I had a nickel from every finheavener who loved that trade and another Penney for every, "Spielman does it again" thread that was started I could retire. Guy got a lot of credit for trading a 3rd round pick for a no name RB.

I still can't believe more people aren't talking about Daunte Culpepper.

Forget the Feeley trade, that was enough to puke in your mouth -- but we passed up one of the best QB's in the league, where we had to pay no draft picks, to get DAUNTE CULPEPPER FOR A SECOND ROUNDER.

Back
Top Bottom