Dolphins pegged for three of the worst trades of last decade | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins pegged for three of the worst trades of last decade

The Ricky trade doesn't belong on here. He gave us some great years, and overall many years/games of service.

In fact I don't even know that i'd put the Welker trade on there, because it's a hindsight trade. Dolphins fans assumed that he was a nice player at the time, We were sad to see him go, but i think we were happy to get that much of a haul for a guy who had done very little in his NFL career at that point. Nobody knew he was going to become one of the best WR's in football. We knew we were getting two draft picks, one of which was a 2nd rounder, for a guy that we signed after he got cut from San Diego - Giving up nothing for. We profited on that trade.

AJ Feeley, that's a dreadful trade. Culpepper, also a dreadful trade (again with hindsight, but he was damaged goods). Even Adawale Ogunleye for Marty Booker, i mean Booker never really did anything here and Adawale had been a pro-bowl DE.

Like the Welker trade, the Ogun trade has an asterisk - we traded him because we couldn't sign him. Also, he has never been as good since he left Miami, and I believe is now out of football. That was not a bad trade.

Feely was worse than Culpepper to me because there was hope that Culpepper could atleast halfway resemble his former self.

Feely never did anything. He came in for an injured McNabb for like 4 games and threw 5 tds to like 2 picks.

We gave up the same pick for both of them. Both of them invested our pick and our future. Hell atleast Harrington beat those bears in chicago who were 7-0 #1 in O, D, and ST in their house. Fiedler was the backup to Feeley and that season was worse for me than the 1-15.

Ross should trade the entire franchise for the Wal-Mart on NW 27th.

You can violently run Wal-Mart into the ground and still profit.

Yeah the Welker transaction was one in which we were caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't think we had too much of a choice on that and it sounded like Wes wanted to play in New England for more money, and we couldn't really match the offer...can't really blame him, but good riddance to him is all I can say.

Welker is a good receiver but is a huge benefactor of the QB who throws him the ball and the system he plays in. At the time and the production he had shown before that it was a great trade. In hindsight it looks worse. Culpepper could have worked out but again in hindsight in was bad. The Ricky trade was bad simply because no player is worth two first round draft picks. He has been productive for us but has done far more damage to the frachise with his repeated failed drug tests. AJ Feeley was one of the worst trades in the last ten years. He hardly had any experience and was gone quickly from our roster.

The Welker trade is not bad at all. At that point in his two seasons he had only caught 1 TD. He was a nice slot receiver and a decent KR/PR option. Here's the way I look at it....In Wes Welkers last season with Miami, he had 67 catches, 687 yds, and 1 td receiving, and was a middle of the road return man (only took one to the house). He wasn't anywhere near worth a 2nd and 7th rounder. When you think that people have rated Devin Hester's value (in his prime KR seasons of 06 and 07) at a late 1st round to an early 2nd round pick, you'll see that the Dolphins got great value for Welker as he was a very similar receiver for the Dolphins as Hester is to the Bears, and their return capabilities are nowhere close. Now, that's not to say that the Dolphins necessarily got VALUE with those picks, but the value of the picks was more than sufficient.

However, that draft was full of 2nd and 3rd round busts. Some names: #40 John Beck :rolleyes2:, #43 Drew Stanton, #48 Justin Durant, #50 Chris Henry, #54 Turk McBride, #58 Ikaika Alama-Francis, #64 Sabby Piscitelli, #65 Quinton Moses, it just goes on like that...In fact, the next picks in the draft to have any kind of significant impact are #86 Marshal Yanda, #92 Trent Edwards, and #108 Paul Soliai.

Re: Ricky costing basically 2 entire drafts, when you look at it like that it looks crazy, but the truth is that it is kind of misleading accounting: each time an asset changes hands of course someone will have to pay. Ditka surely overpaid but I think we overpaid somewhat: the first rounders were pretty low ( back when we used to make the playoffs )---the chance that 2 latter-round first rounders will bust is actually pretty high and I don't think you can claim ricky has been a bust.

The Welker trade is not bad at all. At that point in his two seasons he had only caught 1 TD. He was a nice slot receiver and a decent KR/PR option. Here's the way I look at it....In Wes Welkers last season with Miami, he had 67 catches, 687 yds, and 1 td receiving, and was a middle of the road return man (only took one to the house). He wasn't anywhere near worth a 2nd and 7th rounder. When you think that people have rated Devin Hester's value (in his prime KR seasons of 06 and 07) at a late 1st round to an early 2nd round pick, you'll see that the Dolphins got great value for Welker as he was a very similar receiver for the Dolphins as Hester is to the Bears, and their return capabilities are nowhere close. Now, that's not to say that the Dolphins necessarily got VALUE with those picks, but the value of the picks was more than sufficient.

However, that draft was full of 2nd and 3rd round busts. Some names: #40 John Beck :rolleyes2:, #43 Drew Stanton, #48 Justin Durant, #50 Chris Henry, #54 Turk McBride, #58 Ikaika Alama-Francis, #64 Sabby Piscitelli, #65 Quinton Moses, it just goes on like that...In fact, the next picks in the draft to have any kind of significant impact are #86 Marshal Yanda, #92 Trent Edwards, and #108 Paul Soliai.

Based on statistics you may be right, but if you watched the Fins that year you saw how valuable Welker was. He was the reliable, go-to guy when a 1st down was needed. Kind of like a guy we traded later named Greg Camarillo. If the Vikes ever start throwing the ball his way, that one will be our new worst trade of the past 10 years.

Based on statistics you may be right, but if you watched the Fins that year you saw how valuable Welker was. He was the reliable, go-to guy when a 1st down was needed. Kind of like a guy we traded later named Greg Camarillo. If the Vikes ever start throwing the ball his way, that one will be our new worst trade of the past 10 years.

eh... Camarillo was reliable for us for a few years, but after that acl tear he lost any athleticism he had left. Still has great hands, but he is not going to get much YAC anymore. His last year with us he was catch and go down.

So you would of given Welker a contract for the average of the 5 highest paid WR's. Of that time off what he did the year before. As for Cam he was a nice player, but its not for sure he would of even made the team last year.

eh... Camarillo was reliable for us for a few years, but after that acl tear he lost any athleticism he had left. Still has great hands, but he is not going to get much YAC anymore. His last year with us he was catch and go down.

You're right, he was catch and go down....after making the first down. Interestingly, the Vikes used him as a punt returner, which is a job that usually goes to a guy who's elusive. I assume they used him in that role because they knew he wouldn't drop it.

So you would of given Welker a contract for the average of the 5 highest paid WR's. Of that time off what he did the year before. As for Cam he was a nice player, but its not for sure he would of even made the team last year.

No, I never suggested that we should have franchised Welker. That would have been going too far. He didn't want to be here, and we got the best deal we could. But he was a very good player here.

Back
Top Bottom