Dolphins pegged for three of the worst trades of last decade | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins pegged for three of the worst trades of last decade

Welker is still a little slot receiver that nobody knows about if he doesnt go to the Patriots with Brady and Moss, and ESPN on his side considering B.S.PN is OBSESSED with the Patriots

The deal for Ricky was insane. I can't see Miami doing something like that now or ever again. They gave up way too many draft picks. But the Welker trade hurt the more because they screwed up and he got away from them. Welker was clearly a great player. They guy was a beast. He was all over the field in Miami. We still don't have an electric player like him. They tendered him too low and the Patriots took him away from us. That was awful. It still stings. But the truth is that Miami has been struggling for years to properly evaluate talent. They seem to buy the BIG TALK and overlook the ACTIONS.

I wouldnt consider the williams trade one of the worse. I would consider giving up a 2nd for Feeley worse than that. If you want to consider overall worth, Reggie Howard, Gibril Wilson, were far worse than giving up 2 firsts for Ricky.

All in all, thr Dolphins are at the bottom of the list for wasting value on trades and FA signings. I have to assume they are one of the top 3 worst for player transactions in all of football over the past 20 years.

Brandon Marshall should be on there IMO.

What ******* gets stabbed by his wife. Sheesh what a *****
so marshall needs to be here because he got stabbed by his wife....you sound so smart right now..........NOT!!!!!

Yeah and when we traded for Lamar Gordon if I had a nickel from every finheavener who loved that trade and another Penney for every, "Spielman does it again" thread that was started I could retire. Guy got a lot of credit for trading a 3rd round pick for a no name RB.

I love this site to death, but I will never care how the site views trades. This board loved trading an all-pro CB (Surtain) for a 2nd (IMO good move as we needed to get younger and he wasn't going to resign with us), but hated trading Lorenzo Booker for a 3rd round pick.

I knew Welker would be on that list and its such an easy criticism. The reality is that Welker only became the receiving machine he was because he plays in that system, with that QB, and (previously had) Moss on the other side drawing all the attention.

I've been pretty critical of this team and its moves recently, but a 2 and a 7 is solid compensation for a guy of his abilities...whom we replaced 2 years later with Davone Bess, every bit the slot WR that Welker is. The Cameron regime didnt do much right, but I applaud this move.

I knew Welker would be on that list and its such an easy criticism. The reality is that Welker only became the receiving machine he was because he plays in that system, with that QB, and (previously had) Moss on the other side drawing all the attention.

I've been pretty critical of this team and its moves recently, but a 2 and a 7 is solid compensation for a guy of his abilities...whom we replaced 2 years later with Davone Bess, every bit the slot WR that Welker is. The Cameron regime didnt do much right, but I applaud this move.

I thought the Welker trade was a steal for Miami at the time and i still think it was a really good trade for you.

While I don't blame the FO for the Welker trade given the situation, I disagree with those of you who say that Welker would not have performed at a high level if he stayed here. What do you think of Bess? Welker would have been at least as good if he had stayed here, and probably a whole lot better. He had a very good season his last year here, became the go-to guy on third down, and seemed on his way to becoming a Pro Bowler. Sure, he's benefited from having one of the most accurate QB's of all time throwing to him, but he would have been an increasingly big asset here.

I'm not the biggest Welker fan out there . . . but all the "he would be a nobody" bullcrap needs to stop. Welker is a dynamite slot WR, and there is a reason New England gave up a 2nd to get him. All that, he plays in a system crap can just stop.

BTW, we had much worse trades more than 10 years ago, despite the general view that personnel was being run by geniuses. We traded Joe Theisman, for very little I believe. If we had Theisman as our QB in the 1983 Super Bowl, instead of playing against him, we would have walked away with it. Of course, we then would never have picked Dan Marino, so there's 2 sides to everything. We also traded the rights to burner WR Anthony Carter for a scrub LB. Carter went on to star for the Vikings. If Marino had Duper, Clayton and Carter to throw to he would have been unstoppable, other teams did not have enough fast DB's to cover all 3. I don't know what Shula was thinking with that one.

The Ricky trade doesn't belong on here. He gave us some great years, and overall many years/games of service.

In fact I don't even know that i'd put the Welker trade on there, because it's a hindsight trade. Dolphins fans assumed that he was a nice player at the time, We were sad to see him go, but i think we were happy to get that much of a haul for a guy who had done very little in his NFL career at that point. Nobody knew he was going to become one of the best WR's in football. We knew we were getting two draft picks, one of which was a 2nd rounder, for a guy that we signed after he got cut from San Diego - Giving up nothing for. We profited on that trade.

AJ Feeley, that's a dreadful trade. Culpepper, also a dreadful trade (again with hindsight, but he was damaged goods). Even Adawale Ogunleye for Marty Booker, i mean Booker never really did anything here and Adawale had been a pro-bowl DE.

The Ricky trade doesn't belong on here. He gave us some great years, and overall many years/games of service.

In fact I don't even know that i'd put the Welker trade on there, because it's a hindsight trade. Dolphins fans assumed that he was a nice player at the time, We were sad to see him go, but i think we were happy to get that much of a haul for a guy who had done very little in his NFL career at that point. Nobody knew he was going to become one of the best WR's in football. We knew we were getting two draft picks, one of which was a 2nd rounder, for a guy that we signed after he got cut from San Diego - Giving up nothing for. We profited on that trade.

AJ Feeley, that's a dreadful trade. Culpepper, also a dreadful trade (again with hindsight, but he was damaged goods). Even Adawale Ogunleye for Marty Booker, i mean Booker never really did anything here and Adawale had been a pro-bowl DE.

The reason the Ricky trade was bad was b/c he was thought to be the missing piece to finnaly getting beyond the div rd and since the Dolphins made the trade for him they have made the postseason just once in 9 years(made it 5 straight years before the trade). Ricky had one phenomenal season in 2002 but no other seasons worthy of giving up 2 1st rd picks.

Back
Top Bottom