Dolphins pegged for three of the worst trades of last decade | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins pegged for three of the worst trades of last decade

Based on statistics you may be right, but if you watched the Fins that year you saw how valuable Welker was. He was the reliable, go-to guy when a 1st down was needed. Kind of like a guy we traded later named Greg Camarillo. If the Vikes ever start throwing the ball his way, that one will be our new worst trade of the past 10 years.

But that's the thing. The type of production Welker assembled in Miami was nothing special and easily replaced by a guy they claimed off waivers in Camarillo and then later by a guy they signed as a UDFA in Bess. People look back on the Welker trade and rate it poorly because a) Welker was a fan favorite b) he went on to do bigger and better things and c) we wasted the picks we got for him.

No, I never suggested that we should have franchised Welker. That would have been going too far. He didn't want to be here, and we got the best deal we could. But he was a very good player here.
The poison pill the pats put in the contract, had the wording if he played 4 games a year in the state of Florida. That he would be paid the average of the top 5 WR's in the NFL. So in essence making him a franchise player every year of the contract.

I'm not the biggest Welker fan out there . . . but all the "he would be a nobody" bullcrap needs to stop. Welker is a dynamite slot WR, and there is a reason New England gave up a 2nd to get him. All that, he plays in a system crap can just stop.

Agreed. I thought he was worth keeping for sure.

Yeah I remember that--I thought the Pats backed away from that after realizing they'd be starting an arms race, and other GMs basically have since agreed that whoever poison pills will get poison-pilled back in the future, effectively ending the practice. That's why they ended up giving us a 2nd after all instead of some lower pick.

Back
Top Bottom