Dolphins Should Pair Michael Thomas with Louis Delmas at Safety | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Should Pair Michael Thomas with Louis Delmas at Safety

Care to make a wager that Thomas doesn't beat out Jones for the safety job? Only plays I can rethink of him making were the pass break up and the pick. Other than that he didn't do anything in the remaining games. Does he deserve a shot? Sure. Will he win that kind of battle? Doubt it. Again just my opinion on him.

Were are you hearing that all td's are coming in Jones coverage area? I recall several last week coming in Grimes' area?

Grimes does get beat his fair share of times I can't lie. He had a streak of games with very few completions allowed which was great but he isn't a lockdown corner by any means. Glad we have him back though, no doubt. I don't think anything is wrong with Jones maybe he just had a bad year and to be honest he wasn't terrible. I would like to see more Michael Thomas though and I'm very happy and surprised we kept him I was hoping we would but it seemed unlikely.

I still feel like a big part of Jones' dropoff was going from good LB play to **** LB play last season.

Pretty terrible idea. I will acknowledge Jones has underperformed as of late though.

Jones is garbage. I don't know why people on here can't see that. He's pretty much been garbage his entire career. One mediocre season and everybody wanted to believe we had the next Ronnie Lott. The sooner we get rid of him the better

Jones is garbage. I don't know why people on here can't see that. He's pretty much been garbage his entire career. One mediocre season and everybody wanted to believe we had the next Ronnie Lott. The sooner we get rid of him the better

His ENTIRE CAREER? he's going into his 4th season. Give me a break, so many of you fans think the only thing that makes a good safety is the number of balls they intercept.

Saying he's garbage and always has been is completely ignorant.

I haven't seen any statistics to confirm this belief, but it seemed pretty clear that Miami played a lot more 2-deep last season. Jones plays his best football in the box. Not to bring up the terrible past, but Jones is kind of like a better version of Gibril Wilson. When he's playing close to the line of scrimmage, he can make plays. The deeper he plays, the more pedestrian he looks. In the first half against New Orleans (during the season the Saints won the SB and we gave up that big lead), Miami played Wilson in the box, and he made plays.

Thomas, FWIW, has the athleticism to play at a high level - the necessary physical tools (4.51, 10'04 broad, 38" vert). That doesn't mean he's going to beat out Jones, and it's an unlikely scenario, but if Miami knew they planned on playing Jones in more 2-deep looks, they should have never given him that contract.

Yes all 4 seasons he's been terrible. We've been desperate for a good safety for so long we vastly overrated this guy. He is bad. Last year was especially awful.

i think safety is going to end up being a high priority position by draft time next year...

If they really wanted him, he would have been on the active roster.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

San Fran. Has a loaded roster...they had just played in a Superbowl....They had hoped to hide Thomas on the practice squad.

One That Got Away

If they really wanted him, he would have been on the active roster.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You maybe right but...

According to a league source, the Dolphins signed Thomas, 24, off the practice squad, ending his two-year, practice-squad tenure with the 49ers. This season, the Niners reportedly increased Thomas’ weekly practice-squad salary from $6,000 to nearly $9,000, presumably as an incentive to reject offers from teams hoping to sign him to their 53-man roster. Niners Nation first reported the transaction.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/12/10/one-that-got-away-dolphins-sign-s-thomas-off-practice-squad/

I dont know about Thomas, but we definitely need to find a long term answer at both safety positions. I've never been a fan of Reshad Jones and its only a matter of time before Delmas' knee buckles.

There are no "long-term answers" at any position in the NFL anymore. Long was supposed to be a "long-term answer". How many other "long-term answers" have come and gone.

The league has changed and you can only count on anyone for more than a couple of years...

I haven't seen any statistics to confirm this belief, but it seemed pretty clear that Miami played a lot more 2-deep last season. Jones plays his best football in the box. Not to bring up the terrible past, but Jones is kind of like a better version of Gibril Wilson. When he's playing close to the line of scrimmage, he can make plays. The deeper he plays, the more pedestrian he looks. In the first half against New Orleans (during the season the Saints won the SB and we gave up that big lead), Miami played Wilson in the box, and he made plays.

Thomas, FWIW, has the athleticism to play at a high level - the necessary physical tools (4.51, 10'04 broad, 38" vert). That doesn't mean he's going to beat out Jones, and it's an unlikely scenario, but if Miami knew they planned on playing Jones in more 2-deep looks, they should have never given him that contract.

This. In fact, if anything, Clemons was playing more the SS role at times, coming up into the box where his poor angles and tackling technique saw him make the run defense even more porous. I don't know why Coyle thinks Jones is a deep safety, but the signing of Delmas doesn't suggest he'll be back patrolling the box any time soon.

I wouldn't absolve him though. There was a distinct lack of hustle from Jones last season.

i didn't see anywhere near as much 2 deep in 2013 as i saw in 2012...hell we lived in 2 deep that year

Back
Top Bottom