Dolphins sign Baker to extension | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign Baker to extension

This is not an overpay by any means. Cap is exploding next year by all reports. For comparison Deion Jones signed a 4 year 57 million dollar contract with 34 guaranteed in 2019. Baker was going to get this contract, and probably more if he hit free agency next year.

Baker's arrived guys. He had 112 tackles last year, 7 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 7 more tackles in the backfield, and 11 QB hits. Oh and coverage? He let up 6.1 yards per attempt. A 25 year old linebacker with that kind of production going to get more than 13 million a year in next year's free agency.

He's also clearly gambling on himself with this contract. It expires when he is 28. Enough time left in his career to sign one more mega deal.

Hmmm that’s a lot of money for Baker IMO. He’s a great complimentary LB in a good LB core unfortunately that’s not ours

What if they gave him top 5 TE money?
I'd be saying the same thing people are saying about Baker...

Something to the effect of we over paid for 700 yds and spotty blocking....

Right...let's complain about what's in the other guys wallet and say if they're worth it or not!
Dude, why do you get so emotional and confrontational. Like Mach2 said, this is a discussion board. People have opinions. Get over yourself. Not everyone thinks like you or me or anyone else for that matter. Nothing wrong with that...

Ya I just looked at all LBs...not that it would be wrong to look at the difference between O/I. If you just count OLBs, he's 17th with the new contract. Still fair IMO.

McKinney's 10th for ILBs.
Good to know man, thanks, I'll look that up too but I believe you. That's means it's not as bad as it initially sounded.

With annual salaries being pure fluid, I look at averages. All about consistency. I believe he's worth 10.3M per year for four years, that's how I look at it.

Salaries, from year to year, impact the cap differently across the whole team, and they get moved around ALL the time, but what always rings true is the average.
But what happens when you're dealing with trying to compare the extensions of guys that are currently making very different amounts in 2021?

If the Steelers payed TJ Watt a 3 year ~30 mill extension right now, he would end up with the same 4 year "combined deal" you are saying Baker has. Makes more sense to just simply look at the extension they eventually get.

We both agree salaries are extremely fluid. That's not relevant to how logical this approach is.

But whatever, we are just debating semantics

Hmmm that’s a lot of money for Baker IMO. He’s a great complimentary LB in a good LB core unfortunately that’s not ours
I guess there's a couple ways to look at it.

My opinion, Baker has a bit of a unique skillset. He's faster/quicker and can cover more ground latterally than most LBs, a better tackler than most safeties in traffic, has utility as a weak side (or up the middle) pass rusher, and has improved in pass coverage.

All of those things point to being one of the keys to this defensive scheme.

So the real question is, how much would it cost to replace him with another known quantity player of similar ability?

Now does that make him under contract for 4 years? If it’s four years under contract it’s technically 10 mil a year

Just goes to show how tight lipped this front office is. The media has absolutely no idea what is going on in Miami.
The media is Pissed off about it so make shiat up about Tua and arm to get back at FO

Primary school crap

Like FO made a mistake not drafting something we won’t kno in a partial season

Last edited:
I think if we signed him as a few agent for that money we would be happy. He is a good player who knows the system. The contract avgs around 10 mils per yr.

Dude, why do you get so emotional and confrontational. Like Mach2 said, this is a discussion board. People have opinions. Get over yourself. Not everyone thinks like you or me or anyone else for that matter. Nothing wrong with that...

Why are you so much in his wallet? He worked his butt off and he and the Dolphins are happy with each other.

Back
Top Bottom