Dolphins sign Baker to extension | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign Baker to extension

I appreciate how Grier/Flo are rebuilding this team.

Smart to extend players like Baker that are about to hit their prime.

If Baker is worth 13 a year than I guess Leonard will want 18 a year. We will see Leonard has to be over the moon when he saw this

Byron Jones was considered one of the best CB’s in the entire league when they signed him to that contract. While Baker is a decent LB, he is probably rated no better than an average LB in the league at this time.

Hopefully he will develop into a top tier LB but only time will tell.
If you read the post I was responding to I was simply responding to another poster that pointed out how much salaries increase over time. That will be especially true with the expected cap jump in 2022.

My only point was that even though his salary is 7th for LBers right now, who knows how far it will fall by the time it starts and where it will be going into the 2nd year.

That was the point of me bringing up how quickly Jones fell from 1st to 5th.

Really? What LB have we had that knocked your socks off the last 10 years?
I gotta say we haven't had good LB's in a while ... and that definitely includes Baker who blows his assignment a lot and is very weak against the run. Maybe the best LB we've had in recent times was Kyle Van Noy in that hybrid OLB/DE role. But yes, our LB corps has been the worst part of our team most years for the better part of a decade.

I believe they can keep Gesicki if they really want him. This signing doesn't affect that IMO.
Well I'm not sure we have the money to sign all the FA's coming up, and we really need to prioritize Ogbah, so it was coming down to a decision between Baker and Gesicki. We drafted a replacement for Gesicki, and now we've given Baker a bloated extension ... that all really seems like we're giving up on re-signing Gesicki. IMHO, that is a huge mistake. :(

I gotta say we haven't had good LB's in a while ... and that definitely includes Baker who blows his assignment a lot and is very weak against the run. Maybe the best LB we've had in recent times was Kyle Van Noy in that hybrid OLB/DE role. But yes, our LB corps has been the worst part of our team most years for the better part of a decade.
The good news is the LB position in the upcoming 2022 draft seems pretty stocked, if Miami choses to go that route?

Well I'm not sure we have the money to sign all the FA's coming up, and we really need to prioritize Ogbah, so it was coming down to a decision between Baker and Gesicki. We drafted a replacement for Gesicki, and now we've given Baker a bloated extension ... that all really seems like we're giving up on re-signing Gesicki. IMHO, that is a huge mistake. :(
I believe there is enough cap to re-sign both Ogbah and Gesicki, if Miami wants to.

This right here makes your opinion of Baker invalid. Van Noy was more lost and had more missed assignments than Baker. And there aren’t that many LBs who can chase down mini goat for a 20+ yard sack. But I guess that was scheme driven.

Absolutely.........horrible contract.

Way too much money, like 50% overpaid guaranteed type too much money.
You just don't understand the value he provides to this defense.

Especially if McKinney comes in and provides the thump in the middle on 1st and 2nd.

He had 7 sacks last season and is an ace cover guy with terrific range.

I could see 10+ sacks, 4+ turnovers, 100+ tackles as the leader of this defense this year.

That would be a fine ROI for me...

I've been following Euro and swimming Olympic trials and other stuff. I heard we resigned Baker and my immediate thought was...yeah, Flores has too high of an opinion of him.

I thought that was the extent of it. We'll keep the guy who runs well and makes an occasional splash play, while totally worthless amidst physicality. Then I saw the contract numbers and was stunned. Granted I'm not a salary cap guy but I would have estimated Baker's value as half that much.

I'm more aligned with Slimm's view that you're in trouble when Jerome Baker is viewed as a star as opposed to maybe the 5th or 6th guy on your defense. It's a self regulating move.

Back
Top Bottom