Dolphins trade for Aqib Talib | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins trade for Aqib Talib

Clearly it affects salary cap, if it didn't why did they (the rams) make the trade?

It doesn't affect MIAMI's salary cap. They were already well below threshold for this season. And since his contract expires at seasons end, it doesn't affect their cap going into next season.

Sure, it helped the Rams cap this season. But that's precisely why most are calling the trade a win-win. MIAMI gets a 5th rounder for using cap space they didn't use this season w/o compromising future plans.

So, again, it doesn't affect their cap in a negative way.

So why are Dolphins fans upset and worried over nothing? There's literally no downside for the organization.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the plan, but I wouldn't be against re-signing Talib to a cheap 1 year deal for 2020 and then drafting Surtain jr in the 2021 draft.

Flores is familiar with him. I think he can still play better than Lammons or Wiltz, lol. We might just end up keeping him to boot.

Grier IS killing it.

All we have left is hope the selections are good, which without Gase and Tannenbaum ruining picks and then add Flores has scout experience, which he must have been really good at to get promoted into ANY coaching capacity in NE, at all.

Then add not one but TWO experienced GMs who both were to a certain degree successful at it as scouts now, under Grier and I'm feeling pretty confident.

Not to mention, in our circumstance we can go BPA with any and every 2020 pick since the roster is so bare.

And then throw in at least 7-8 rookies will have a shot to start, again since the roster is so bare, that they all should at least develop even if they eventually only stick as back/up-role players.

Basically only thing that can ruin some of the individual picks is if the player gets scared, bets against himself and gets into an attitude were 'too much was expected too early'.

Avoid Dion Jordan, Johnathan Martin, type players without the mental make up to at least, try their hardest, let alone succeed.

That's actually a good way to look at it. I'm sure they have been stockpiling both picks and cash for just such opportunities, but I imagine they were hoping for more than a 5th. It's in line with what they did eating salary to facilitate trades this past year.

Was wondering down the same line.
Can any one give details on the amounts we wrote off for Tannehill, Quinn etc in money compared to the picks we received?

Can any one give details on the amounts we wrote off for Tannehill, Quinn etc in money compared to the picks we received?
Approximate numbers but Tannehill 7mil, Quinn 1mil, Talib 4mil, so 12 mil for a 4th, a 5th and a 6th.

What's funny is CBS have the Rams with an A for the trade but us a D

I guess they were like some posters here who had no clue why it was done just blast Grier.

I didn’t get it when the news first broke either... then I was ok this is. Salary dump for Rams but why did MIA take it... then when all the details came out it was a win win for everyone.

The fact of lack in confidence for Grier to draft well is a different argument from a trade execution. How can you argue against this from the MIA side?

Fine with this, aslong as its trading cap space for a pick and not actual interest in Talib as a player

The FO under Grier operates very differently than it did under TBum. That is a positive. Grier has proven he takes every opportunity to maximize value during transactions. Will he do a good job in the upcoming draft? That is the question that remains.

i just want to bump this 22 page thread of insanity lol... BUMP..

but so we are sitting at

1- Mia, Pitt, Hou
2. Mia, NO
3. Mia
4. Tenn....possibly comp James?
5. Balt......possibly comp Wake? 5 or 6 Ari
6. Mia, Dal
7. KC.........possibly comp Gore?

Maybe we can buy a big time draft pick at the start of the new NFL season

i just want to bump this 22 page thread of insanity lol... BUMP..

but so we are sitting at

1- Mia, Pitt, Hou
2. Mia, NO
3. Mia
4. Tenn....possibly comp James?
5. Balt......possibly comp Wake? 5 or 6 Ari
6. Mia, Dal
7. KC.........possibly comp Gore?

Maybe we can buy a big time draft pick at the start of the new NFL season
Comp picks would be for James and Bolden, nothing for Wake and Gore.

I read it in an article, but I can't recall the exact numbers. It seems like it was $4M for Tannehill (we received like a 4th rounder maybe???) and $5M for Quinn (we received like a 5th rounder maybe???), but those numbers could be way off. I recall reading it that whatever it was, the Talib numbers seemed to be roughly in line with what we received. Wish I had the actual figures, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom