Dolphins want Dontari Poe to visit - Update: signed for the Falcons | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins want Dontari Poe to visit - Update: signed for the Falcons

If there's one thing I don't like, it's that this board has lost its collective sense of humor since the early 2000's.

It used to be like Improv night at the Chuckle Hut.

Was Enduro every right though? About the time I joined I believe it was Larry Fitz. was coming here was his current scoop.

I think he actually called one or two things right. He's just the only guy I really remember who has come on here in my time here citing NEBULOUS SOURCES with a super scoop for us.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

If there's one thing I don't like, it's that this board has lost its collective sense of humor since the early 2000's.

It used to be like Improv night at the Chuckle Hut.

This board is a little bit less fun than when I started here in 2011, but then again, 2011 was fun. Suck for Luck, baby.

I like the player, worried about price.

For all of the talk of Suh making others better, we are going to pay a lot for a dt next to him. We just had to fix linebackers (and will have to invest a heavy pick to continue doing so).

Point being, Suh is fantastic but a DT is never worth freakin QB money. These guys are not true game changers.

Jesus, at some point, people are going to have to get over the amount Suh got paid, especially given the fact that it didn't hinder the team in any way. He's a top defensive player and he got paid like one. This is one of the worst defenses in the league, if not THE worst without him. The failure of the FO to properly build around him doesn't negate the positives he brings and the potential to still do so. Let it go already.

Didn't we already take most of the big lumps from the Suh contract? Isn't the cap rising at a ridiculous rate every year? The Suh contract is not a problem.

Didn't we already take most of the big lumps from the Suh contract? Isn't the cap rising at a ridiculous rate every year? The Suh contract is not a problem.

At this point it's the 16th largest cap hit in football entering the 2017-18 season. Behind Von Miller, Justin Houston and Josh Norman. 4th highest paid defensive player at this point isn't exactly destroying our cap room at this point in his contract. It's not that crazy.

The Chiefs seem to be doing fine paying 2 guys $39M. We should be able to manage $39.4M too.

Ask yourselves this. Does Dontari Poe make a bigger impact for $7.5M or Dion Jordan and Koa Misi for the same cap cost? I'm not saying I'd go that high with his contract, but if you cut Jordan and cut Misi's cap hit in half, Poe is essentially free. That's what I would do. I'd cut Jordan, give Misi a base of $2M with some incentives if he even makes it to TC and give Poe his 1/6.5M deal. If he doesn't take $6.5M since Logan took $6M then so be it. There's other DT's out there and I like Phillips.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, if Poe gets signed, it'll have less to do with TBum's persuasive salesmanship and Gase's vision - not that both won't be somewhat of a factor.

It'll be the opportunity to play with Suh and enhance his game as a result of that on either a 1 or 2 year deal.

LOL of course it will have to do less with TBaum. Broken record.

Is there really that big a difference in Suh's contract with Miami and Vernon's contract with the Giants? Given the choice between having two players like Vernon and Earl Mitchell combined or one Suh, I'd take Suh in a heartbeat.

Is there really that big a difference in Suh's contract with Miami and Vernon's contract with the Giants? Given the choice between having two players like Vernon and Earl Mitchell combined or one Suh, I'd take Suh in a heartbeat.

We'd be in some pretty solid shape had we addressed Vernon's contract before we let him get to FA. Hopefully a hard lesson learned for our successful future draft picks.

At this point it's the 16th largest cap hit in football entering the 2017-18 season. Behind Von Miller, Justin Houston and Josh Norman. 4th highest paid defensive player at this point isn't exactly destroying our cap room at this point in his contract. It's not that crazy.

The Chiefs seem to be doing fine paying 2 guys $39M. We should be able to manage $39.4M too.

Ask yourselves this. Does Dontari Poe make a bigger impact for $7.5M or Dion Jordan and Koa Misi for the same cap cost? I'm not saying I'd go that high with his contract, but if you cut Jordan and cut Misi's cap hit in half, Poe is essentially free. That's what I would do. I'd cut Jordan, give Misi a base of $2M with some incentives if he even makes it to TC and give Poe his 1/6.5M deal. If he doesn't take $6.5M since Logan took $6M then so be it. There's other DT's out there and I like Phillips.

I think at this point I'd rather vice versa.

I get this interest. We have a major investment in Suh. Maybe it's worth it to pay even more to maximize that initial investment

Well, his cap hits are:

2015 - 6
2016 - 12
2017 - 19
2018 - 26
2019 - 28
2020 - 23

So I believe that's a no. We are just getting started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get this interest. We have a major investment in Suh. Maybe it's worth it to pay even more to maximize that initial investment

I get that. But in lieu of questions about his consistency we spent a 2nd rd pick here with Phillips just a few years back. Are we really going to shelve his critical 3rd year of development for a possible one year rental?

I get that. But in lieu of questions about his consistency we spent a 2nd rd pick here with Phillips just a few years back. Are we really going to shelve his critical 3rd year of development for a possible one year rental?

I think this regime is ready to let Phillips go

I think this regime is ready to let Phillips go

That would be insane without see him thru properly in his 3rd year. But he's not going anywhere this year and I understand the concerns, but if you take a DT outside of the sure-fire top 10-15 then you must allow for their development. DT is one of the most difficult positions to settle into in the NFL.

A more decisive conclusion can be made after next season, but that would require him to have a good amount of snap counts under his belt for it to be made and not be had by another NT.

Back
Top Bottom