Don Shula has passed away (Dolphins will wear memorial patch) | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don Shula has passed away (Dolphins will wear memorial patch)

Was saddened to hear the news this morning. God comfort the family at this time of mourning. What an amazing career and life.

26 years and 2 losing seasons? I can assure you that list in NFL history is less then 3.

Can only think of bellichick and Marv Levy Hell I can't even name another coach that held onto their job 20 season's in the modern NFL lmao..
Chuck Noll and Tom Landry spit on u lol

Great coach, but even GREATER MAN!
God Bless this man for all he did and all he represented. RIP Coach Shula, you will be missed.

R.I.P GOAT. You’ll surely be missed by all.

I remember him on that scooter .
Also the Monday night against the Bengals , when the referee asked him to stop the crowd from cheering,so Boomer Esiason could take the snap ,
Coach Shula at midfield with his arms up imploring the crowd to stop with a big ol grin on his face.
Coach going to check on Pete Stoyanovich when the Bengal linebacker blindsided him as Bryan Cox went to fight the Bengal sideline.
But my most favorite memory was his smiling leaving the field September2 1984,
he had unleashed Marino on the Redskins and totally destroyed them ,maybe a little revenge for the super bowl loss prior.
Oh my that opening day the Redskins had no idea what had hit them.

Don Shula is not just the winningest coach. He’s the only coach to to take essentially three different cores of players to the super bowl. This is not BB riding Tom Brady or even Lombardi riding that core of Packer players. He was the best at taking whatever roster he had and finding a way to win. His record with backup quarterbacks was amazing. The minimal amount of losing seasons is remarkable.
This is one of the main arguments I’ve used when debating fans of other franchises. How long did Lombardi even coach? BB wasn’t successful in Cleveland w some pretty good QBs in Kosar and Testaverde. Not taking too much away from Bill but Shula having just 2 losing seasons in 33 years of coaching - and to put it in perspective they were 6-8 and 6-10 - going to 6 Superbowls with 4 different starting QBs - 2 of them backups - different styles teams across 2 franchises was just amazing.

21 playoff seasons in those 31 non-losing ones - and some of those no shows were w 10-4 teams - fewer playoff teams back then / I do think we go in ‘77 w that 10-4 club. I’m getting off topic.

The man had so much character and integrity to go along w the legendary competitive drive. I don’t know of one story of funny business involving Shula (I think there was an allegation he ran the sprinklers at the Orange Bowl to confound the Raiders before a game perhaps) that even sniffed of the crap BB has pulled there is no cloud that hands over Don Shula’s legacy. It’s as untarnished as humanly possible.

This hurts. I have loved this team since I was in elementary school. In the heart of Eagles and Steelers country. Don Shula IS the Dolphins to me and my friends who grew up in PA and still love the Dolphins.

Class, integrity, grit, determination and toughness. I’ll say more later, but this one’s personal.
There will never be another one like you, to take 4 entirely different Dolphin teams as well as the old school Colts and be a consistent playoff contender; 3 to championships.
Coming from humble beginnings to win in all phases of life and be a constant driving force to help others adopt the discipline and ethics you lived by. Your example drove me from humble beginnings. Coach Shula was a rust belt Hungarian winning with the hard discipline of the area in the glitz and glamor of Miami. At least it seemed glamorous on those cold Monday nights here when we heard “Live from the Orange Bowl in warm Miami”. Coach Shula was so innovative and gutsy he took a rust belt kid and turned him into a glimmering passing superstar. The antithesis of how he learned to win only 10 years earlier.
Rest in Heaven Coach Shula.

Not a fan of the acronym, GOAT. Don Shula was The BOAT, BEST OF ALL TIME, upon which So Fla and many, many players sailed for many, many years! Thank you for the best times ever, Coach! We love you!

Back
Top Bottom