Don't Let Tua Injury Distract From Fact Coach McDaniel Was Awful vs Bengals | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't Let Tua Injury Distract From Fact Coach McDaniel Was Awful vs Bengals

Considering how the team played on offense and defense, on the road against a good team, the fact it was short week, the emotional toll of the Tua incident and playing with a backup qb.I think the coaching staff needs to be given some credit for being in the contest down 5 on the Bengals 25 yardline with 3:30 remaining.

Last edited:
Maybe it was the prime time night game, maybe the pressure and hype of being 3-0? Maybe the negative press of what really was the Tua injury last week vs Buffalo weighing on him, or maybe he's just a rookie coach and things finally caught up with him as they usually do in this league for inexperienced young head coaches.

IMO, McDaniel was out of it right from the coin toss! I'm sorry, but it is a WEAK/POOR decision to DEFER when you win the coin toss. You need to start quick and clean as the saying goes, march down and score some points on your opponent. Especially when you are in their building, it is good to get things going on offense right off the bat and dictate the game. Also, your D was still exhausted from the battle with Buffalo, so why throw them on the field right away? You need to minimize that. So that's a fail in itself by coach.

His game plan was off as well from the start. It got better, but then the Tua injury affected him too emotionally. He's got to be tougher and stronger emotionally to carry on and be strong about it. Next man up, that's it. Save emotions for after game. You have to adjust and figure things out quickly. He simply did not do this and the team played discombobulated just like McDaniel was. This was a LEADERSHIP MOMENT for him and he failed miserably at it.

Settling for short FG's is always a recipe for disaster. When you see your team making 20-27 yd FG's that shows lack of balls/guts going for it on 4th and short for the TD. (inside the 5 or 10 yd line) You are that close, you got to go for the TD, you may never get back to that spot. Twice, he settled for FG's when everyone knew they needed a TD. Bill Belichek, Sean McDermott, those guys go for it in those spots. That's a successful coach move.

Yes it's 1 game and this game was set up for the Dolphins to lose no matter what. The Tua injury and everything surrounding it sting bad. We'll see what McDaniel is made off now, with the 10 day break (much needed). I am hopeful he comes out of it ok and builds off of this. It is almost like it was NEEDED sadly enough. Do we go up from here or is this the beginning of the disaster?
You really wasted your time with this one because every point of your points, quite frankly have no points.

I wasn't very happy with some of the playcalling yesterday. But most of the points made here are ludicrous. By the way, that thug who suplexed Tua will get fined and should have been flagged on the play. Once again I thought the refs were dicey at best in this game. Gesicki is terrible. Sure hope X gets better soon and have to think Byron Jones will be back for the Jets game. Was not helpful that Sanders missed a FG and an extra point in that game. Should have gone on 4 down a couple of times last night. The booth may have missed the call on that interception when the ball touched the ground. All things considered Bridgewater was pretty good but will need to get a lot better while Tua is out. Would love to have Skylar Thompson instead of Teddy but doubt that will happen. Need to get more bubble screens going with Mostert, Tyreek and Ingold has got to stop missing blocks. Did I mention Gesicki was terrible? Yeah, that guy needs to wake the **** up.

He should of played even more conservativeley than he did with Bridgewater, that INT was ridiculous..

Maybe it was the prime time night game, maybe the pressure and hype of being 3-0? Maybe the negative press of what really was the Tua injury last week vs Buffalo weighing on him, or maybe he's just a rookie coach and things finally caught up with him as they usually do in this league for inexperienced young head coaches.

IMO, McDaniel was out of it right from the coin toss! I'm sorry, but it is a WEAK/POOR decision to DEFER when you win the coin toss. You need to start quick and clean as the saying goes, march down and score some points on your opponent. Especially when you are in their building, it is good to get things going on offense right off the bat and dictate the game. Also, your D was still exhausted from the battle with Buffalo, so why throw them on the field right away? You need to minimize that. So that's a fail in itself by coach.

His game plan was off as well from the start. It got better, but then the Tua injury affected him too emotionally. He's got to be tougher and stronger emotionally to carry on and be strong about it. Next man up, that's it. Save emotions for after game. You have to adjust and figure things out quickly. He simply did not do this and the team played discombobulated just like McDaniel was. This was a LEADERSHIP MOMENT for him and he failed miserably at it.

Settling for short FG's is always a recipe for disaster. When you see your team making 20-27 yd FG's that shows lack of balls/guts going for it on 4th and short for the TD. (inside the 5 or 10 yd line) You are that close, you got to go for the TD, you may never get back to that spot. Twice, he settled for FG's when everyone knew they needed a TD. Bill Belichek, Sean McDermott, those guys go for it in those spots. That's a successful coach move.

Yes it's 1 game and this game was set up for the Dolphins to lose no matter what. The Tua injury and everything surrounding it sting bad. We'll see what McDaniel is made off now, with the 10 day break (much needed). I am hopeful he comes out of it ok and builds off of this. It is almost like it was NEEDED sadly enough. Do we go up from here or is this the beginning of the disaster?
Wasnt Teddy's first drive a TD drive?
If not the first, then the 2nd, on a series of very well-designed plays.
The 2nd half play calling was crap until what should've been a game-winning TD drive. Before the miscommunication-caused int, Miami was totally in charge and they couldve kept moving the chains with runs and safe, easy passed. We couldve scored a TD with under a minute on the clock. I dont even know why we were throwing a desired seam-route there. That drive was going great and we couldve stayed in positive down and distance all the way to a TD.

I disagree withbyou in regards to deferring. Its a strategy that has paid of in the past . I do agree that the play calling was questionable. Your assessment is harsh. The only thing i would call him on is on Tua playing. Its pretty clear that last week injury was more than just a back issue. He should not have played especially on a short week

I would say the biggest problem with McDaniel is his game management and wasting time outs. It's been a problem for a few games now and that has to get corrected. He has to get the plays in quicker.
Actually, in week one I was praising McD cuz we absolutely were Not wasting TOs. Late in the 4th we still had 3 TOs. Last week and yesterday weve had more problems with it. Our first half was Brutal last night. A drive that started on our 13 yard line wound up costing 2 TOs in 3 plays.
Dolphins O was very discombobulated, even with Tua in.

I wasn't very happy with some of the playcalling yesterday. But most of the points made here are ludicrous. By the way, that thug who suplexed Tua will get fined and should have been flagged on the play. Once again I thought the refs were dicey at best in this game. Gesicki is terrible. Sure hope X gets better soon and have to think Byron Jones will be back for the Jets game. Was not helpful that Sanders missed a FG and an extra point in that game. Should have gone on 4 down a couple of times last night. The booth may have missed the call on that interception when the ball touched the ground. All things considered Bridgewater was pretty good but will need to get a lot better while Tua is out. Would love to have Skylar Thompson instead of Teddy but doubt that will happen. Need to get more bubble screens going with Mostert, Tyreek and Ingold has got to stop missing blocks. Did I mention Gesicki was terrible? Yeah, that guy needs to wake the **** up.
Again I'm not sure what people want the coaches in the booth to do? You don't/can't challenge a called turnover. The refs automaticly reviews all turnovers and this one was confirmed.

As for Sanders, the extra point was need to b made. The field goal was 50+ and was blocked too. That's not all on him.

Last edited:
Considering how the team played one offense and defense, on the road against a good team, the fact it was short week and the emotional toll of the Tua incident. I think the coaching staff needs to be given some credit for being in the contest down 5 on the Bengals 25 yardline with 3:30 remaining.
That game was 100% Miami's favor in that moment. Moving the sticks, killing the clock, a great blend of run and pass to keep the defense guessing...and then a 'Read it' route into the teeth of the secondary?
What happens if the pass actually got to Gesicki? He probably runs it down to the 5 yard line and then we're scoring with at least 2 minutes left on the clock. If we dont get the 2 pt conversion we're only up 1 with Joe Burrow vs our **** secondary needing only a FG to beat us. So, even the Idea of that play call was bad!

MD wasnt awfull....We are just never going to win a game with bridwater....If tua is out for season put in the rookie and maybe he plays great maybe not.....But youll have an idea if you have to draft a qb in the first round in 2023. Bridgewater is just not a good backup.....Why waste your time with him when you can put in the rookie. Season is washed anyways if we have to rely on bridgewater.

Really, coin toss is what is bothering you. Lol

Again I'm not sure what people want the coaches in the booth to do? You don't/can't challenge a called turnover. The refs automaticly reviews all turnovers and this one was confirmed.
I dont think so. Even the TV crew totally accepted the initial call as TRUTH. There was 1 replay and the idea that it wasnt cleanly caught wasnt even raised.

I dont think so. Even the TV crew totally accepted the initial call as TRUTH. There was 1 replay and the idea that it wasnt cleanly caught wasnt even raised.
What do you mean you don't think so? You can't challenge a called turnover. It's the rule. What's not to think so?

From the beginning, the game had a weird vibe and went downhill after the injury. I didn't care if we won or lost. With that said OP we are going to have bad games and make bad decisions and McDaniel will get out coach as well it won't be the last. As for deferring, I love it, if we would have scored at the beginning of the second half you wouldn't have said what you said. I personally believe it's a momentum builder there's a good side and a bad side, I would hate to have the opposing team score at the end of the first half only to get the ball back in the second half and for the past few games, we have been a better team in the second half. This was an awful post! It's your opinion but it was pointless at least to me.

Back
Top Bottom