Don't Let Tua Injury Distract From Fact Coach McDaniel Was Awful vs Bengals | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't Let Tua Injury Distract From Fact Coach McDaniel Was Awful vs Bengals

Maybe it was the prime time night game, maybe the pressure and hype of being 3-0? Maybe the negative press of what really was the Tua injury last week vs Buffalo weighing on him, or maybe he's just a rookie coach and things finally caught up with him as they usually do in this league for inexperienced young head coaches.

IMO, McDaniel was out of it right from the coin toss! I'm sorry, but it is a WEAK/POOR decision to DEFER when you win the coin toss. You need to start quick and clean as the saying goes, march down and score some points on your opponent. Especially when you are in their building, it is good to get things going on offense right off the bat and dictate the game. Also, your D was still exhausted from the battle with Buffalo, so why throw them on the field right away? You need to minimize that. So that's a fail in itself by coach.

His game plan was off as well from the start. It got better, but then the Tua injury affected him too emotionally. He's got to be tougher and stronger emotionally to carry on and be strong about it. Next man up, that's it. Save emotions for after game. You have to adjust and figure things out quickly. He simply did not do this and the team played discombobulated just like McDaniel was. This was a LEADERSHIP MOMENT for him and he failed miserably at it.

Settling for short FG's is always a recipe for disaster. When you see your team making 20-27 yd FG's that shows lack of balls/guts going for it on 4th and short for the TD. (inside the 5 or 10 yd line) You are that close, you got to go for the TD, you may never get back to that spot. Twice, he settled for FG's when everyone knew they needed a TD. Bill Belichek, Sean McDermott, those guys go for it in those spots. That's a successful coach move.

Yes it's 1 game and this game was set up for the Dolphins to lose no matter what. The Tua injury and everything surrounding it sting bad. We'll see what McDaniel is made off now, with the 10 day break (much needed). I am hopeful he comes out of it ok and builds off of this. It is almost like it was NEEDED sadly enough. Do we go up from here or is this the beginning of the disaster?
I agree on ONE thing only....I'd have taken the ball first but other than that there's nothing wrong with our HC......3-1 against those 4 teams and the one loss on the road on Thursday night when half our players were all beat up?.....that's not on him.

Edmonds dropped a TD in red zone first drive. Teddy did what Teddy does in the red zone and held the ball too long. So thats two TDs we left on the field.

Maybe it was the prime time night game, maybe the pressure and hype of being 3-0? Maybe the negative press of what really was the Tua injury last week vs Buffalo weighing on him, or maybe he's just a rookie coach and things finally caught up with him as they usually do in this league for inexperienced young head coaches.

IMO, McDaniel was out of it right from the coin toss! I'm sorry, but it is a WEAK/POOR decision to DEFER when you win the coin toss. You need to start quick and clean as the saying goes, march down and score some points on your opponent. Especially when you are in their building, it is good to get things going on offense right off the bat and dictate the game. Also, your D was still exhausted from the battle with Buffalo, so why throw them on the field right away? You need to minimize that. So that's a fail in itself by coach.

His game plan was off as well from the start. It got better, but then the Tua injury affected him too emotionally. He's got to be tougher and stronger emotionally to carry on and be strong about it. Next man up, that's it. Save emotions for after game. You have to adjust and figure things out quickly. He simply did not do this and the team played discombobulated just like McDaniel was. This was a LEADERSHIP MOMENT for him and he failed miserably at it.

Settling for short FG's is always a recipe for disaster. When you see your team making 20-27 yd FG's that shows lack of balls/guts going for it on 4th and short for the TD. (inside the 5 or 10 yd line) You are that close, you got to go for the TD, you may never get back to that spot. Twice, he settled for FG's when everyone knew they needed a TD. Bill Belichek, Sean McDermott, those guys go for it in those spots. That's a successful coach move.

Yes it's 1 game and this game was set up for the Dolphins to lose no matter what. The Tua injury and everything surrounding it sting bad. We'll see what McDaniel is made off now, with the 10 day break (much needed). I am hopeful he comes out of it ok and builds off of this. It is almost like it was NEEDED sadly enough. Do we go up from here or is this the beginning of the disaster?
Op... why are you this quick to turn on someone? Are not even considering all of the injuries and short week? There were some mistakes but it's definitely not as bad as the picture your trying to paint

I am a big McDaniel fan, but I concur with some that I didn't like some of his play calling against the Bengals. The aggressive stuff consistently came off in the first three games but there were too many cases last night that just needed to get the first down. I also didn't like seeing Xavien Howard and Jaylen Waddle obviously banged up very early in the game. They clearly were not 100% and probably shouldn't have played. Not to mention Tua's health from the previous game. I'm still a big fan of our coach but his inclination to just roll the dice a bit too often scares me a bit, especially if it involves playing key players when not fully healthy.

I dont think so. Even the TV crew totally accepted the initial call as TRUTH. There was 1 replay and the idea that it wasnt cleanly caught wasnt even raised.
I'm sorry. While I know the rule is that all turnovers are automaticlly reviewed and the coaching staff can't call a challenge of a called turnover, I need to stop trying to get you or anybody else to understand that. I need to respect the fact that if you think there was something the coaches could have done than that's ok for you to think it and not my job to sway your opinion.

Let's see, how do I start? 1) it was a short week to prepare and heal up. 2) The team was subject to over 90 plays and what was the equivalent of 100° on the field. 3) give the culture break it's the first time he's ever experienced anything like this. I would say he's doing quite well overall. 4) what did you see last night? I thought we were competitive considering and the score does not show how competitive this game was. 5) the tackling was atrocious all night long which just proves how silly playing on four days rest really is. And finally almost everybody defers in this day and age. You just look silly trying to make that a negative.

From the beginning, the game had a weird vibe and went downhill after the injury. I didn't care if we won or lost. With that said OP we are going to have bad games and make bad decisions and McDaniel will get out coach as well it won't be the last. As for deferring, I love it, if we would have scored at the beginning of the second half you wouldn't have said what you said. I personally believe it's a momentum builder there's a good side and a bad side, I would hate to have the opposing team score at the end of the first half only to get the ball back in the second half and for the past few games, we have been a better team in the second half. This was an awful post! It's your opinion but it was pointless at least to me.
Dolphins were Perfectly Positioned to win the game. No Reason to even call the play that led to the game-sealing int.!

I am a big McDaniel fan, but I concur with some that I didn't like some of his play calling against the Bengals. The aggressive stuff consistently came off in the first three games but there were too many cases last night that just needed to get the first down. I also didn't like seeing Xavien Howard and Jaylen Waddle obviously banged up very early in the game. They clearly were not 100% and probably shouldn't have played. Not to mention Tua's health from the previous game. I'm still a big fan of our coach but his inclination to just roll the dice a bit too often scares me a bit, especially if it involves playing key players when not fully healthy.
I have a bad feeling that the team was trying to accommodate hills revenge motives a little more than they should have. If Tua wasn't trying to extend that play he would've never got hit like that. BTW, still confused why nobody mentioned the ferocity of the hit. The league has rules now about grabbing the neck or collar and tackling from behind but power slamming a player head first is totally okay.

I would say the biggest problem with McDaniel is his game management and wasting time outs. It's been a problem for a few games now and that has to get corrected. He has to get the plays in quicker.
And naturally you would expect that as he gets more experienced. Our team is good, but not Ellie yet. We need to fix the offense of line and build a little more depth (of course this can come from the players maturing under good coaching) one thing we really need on defense as an alpha type linebacker (Parsons)

Biggest blunder for me was after Teddy makes a great play right after Tua gets hurt. We have 4th and 1 and we elect the 53 yard field goal instead of the gamble

Also not sure why we didn't challenge that first down play I believe it was a Chase run. It left us with 3rd and literally 2 inches which we didn't make. I thought we easily had the first down

I have a bad feeling that the team was trying to accommodate hills revenge motives a little more than they should have. If Tua wasn't trying to extend that play he would've never got hit like that. BTW, still confused why nobody mentioned the ferocity of the hit. The league has rules now about grabbing the neck or collar and tackling from behind but power slamming a player head first is totally okay.
I dont understand how else you think that guy was able to tackle Tua? He was being blocked and was able to get an arm around Tua's waste as he, the tackler, was going to the ground.
Tua, as so too often, was off-balance and ill-prepared for contact.

What a load of crap........

Biggest blunder for me was after Teddy makes a great play right after Tua gets hurt. We have 4th and 1 and we elect the 53 yard field goal instead of the gamble

Also not sure why we didn't challenge that first down play I believe it was a Chase run. It left us with 3rd and literally 2 inches which we didn't make. I thought we easily had the first down
Good call. Being up 9-7 on the road as best-case there, vs sustaining a potential TD drive was dumb.
52 yards is makeable but the reward was far from validating the risk of handing Cincy great field position.

Up until last night Dolphins were perfect in the red zone. Last night they had problems. The dropped pass by Edmonds wasn’t the coaches fault obviously but trying to pound the run in a game when your O line was getting no push and couldn’t get off the D lineman was bad play calling IMO. You should be utilizing Your TE much more in those situations.

Back
Top Bottom