Don't Let Tua Injury Distract From Fact Coach McDaniel Was Awful vs Bengals | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't Let Tua Injury Distract From Fact Coach McDaniel Was Awful vs Bengals

Only thing I believe Coach needs to adjust is his aggressiveness on 4th downs like the opposing teams against us.
Think about this... Cincy went for it twice last night and didn't make it either time yet they still won the game. Let that sink in about the importance of fgs

Hard to win and motivate guys when Teddy is under center and missing throw after throw

For those complaining about McDaniel's play calling it still was much better than Cinci's playcalling. Their fans were going nuts over the 15 runs up the middle for 2-3 yards every time. No throws to Chase, none to Boyd until late, few on 1st down.
It was bad on both sides but thats not what determines the outcome.
The bad line blocking on the blocked FG, missed XP and no TDs in the redzone cost the Fins a chance to win.

Maybe it was the prime time night game, maybe the pressure and hype of being 3-0? Maybe the negative press of what really was the Tua injury last week vs Buffalo weighing on him, or maybe he's just a rookie coach and things finally caught up with him as they usually do in this league for inexperienced young head coaches.

IMO, McDaniel was out of it right from the coin toss! I'm sorry, but it is a WEAK/POOR decision to DEFER when you win the coin toss. You need to start quick and clean as the saying goes, march down and score some points on your opponent. Especially when you are in their building, it is good to get things going on offense right off the bat and dictate the game. Also, your D was still exhausted from the battle with Buffalo, so why throw them on the field right away? You need to minimize that. So that's a fail in itself by coach.

His game plan was off as well from the start. It got better, but then the Tua injury affected him too emotionally. He's got to be tougher and stronger emotionally to carry on and be strong about it. Next man up, that's it. Save emotions for after game. You have to adjust and figure things out quickly. He simply did not do this and the team played discombobulated just like McDaniel was. This was a LEADERSHIP MOMENT for him and he failed miserably at it.

Settling for short FG's is always a recipe for disaster. When you see your team making 20-27 yd FG's that shows lack of balls/guts going for it on 4th and short for the TD. (inside the 5 or 10 yd line) You are that close, you got to go for the TD, you may never get back to that spot. Twice, he settled for FG's when everyone knew they needed a TD. Bill Belichek, Sean McDermott, those guys go for it in those spots. That's a successful coach move.

Yes it's 1 game and this game was set up for the Dolphins to lose no matter what. The Tua injury and everything surrounding it sting bad. We'll see what McDaniel is made off now, with the 10 day break (much needed). I am hopeful he comes out of it ok and builds off of this. It is almost like it was NEEDED sadly enough. Do we go up from here or is this the beginning of the disaster?

"Awful" is too strong and I have complaints about Mcd. By far, every time Mia gets a posession, it's a run on 1D. That HAS to stop. I complained a week or 2 ago at the absence of RPO, rollouts, designed runs. Edge guys for BUF and CIN were crashing in on running plays. Mcd didn't seem to care. Time outs seem to be associated with the play getting to the QB slowly.
I get he's a new play-caller, but 4 games in and I still see the same habits.

Once Tua went out, I'll give you that he played with his tail between his legs (outside of the Teddy to Edmonds shuffle pass brilliance). Running on second and long felt so out of the ordinary for him - and I was getting as frustrated as any other fan was watching it when we didn't have the luxury of doing so against the Bengals. To me, that's more of a testament to McD's lack of faith in Teddy. When you feel the need to fall back on a pretty abysmal run game to salvage a winnable game against a mediocre opponent, then you've got to reassess who you've got leading the helm. Teddy is not that guy, but he might have to be against a few even lower quality opponents until (if?) Tua is ready to return

I have a bad feeling that the team was trying to accommodate hills revenge motives a little more than they should have. If Tua wasn't trying to extend that play he would've never got hit like that. BTW, still confused why nobody mentioned the ferocity of the hit. The league has rules now about grabbing the neck or collar and tackling from behind but power slamming a player head first is totally okay.
I have more of a feeling that Waddle was less than 100%, which forced us to rely more on Hill and Sherfield.

Maybe it was the prime time night game, maybe the pressure and hype of being 3-0? Maybe the negative press of what really was the Tua injury last week vs Buffalo weighing on him, or maybe he's just a rookie coach and things finally caught up with him as they usually do in this league for inexperienced young head coaches.

IMO, McDaniel was out of it right from the coin toss! I'm sorry, but it is a WEAK/POOR decision to DEFER when you win the coin toss. You need to start quick and clean as the saying goes, march down and score some points on your opponent. Especially when you are in their building, it is good to get things going on offense right off the bat and dictate the game. Also, your D was still exhausted from the battle with Buffalo, so why throw them on the field right away? You need to minimize that. So that's a fail in itself by coach.

His game plan was off as well from the start. It got better, but then the Tua injury affected him too emotionally. He's got to be tougher and stronger emotionally to carry on and be strong about it. Next man up, that's it. Save emotions for after game. You have to adjust and figure things out quickly. He simply did not do this and the team played discombobulated just like McDaniel was. This was a LEADERSHIP MOMENT for him and he failed miserably at it.

Settling for short FG's is always a recipe for disaster. When you see your team making 20-27 yd FG's that shows lack of balls/guts going for it on 4th and short for the TD. (inside the 5 or 10 yd line) You are that close, you got to go for the TD, you may never get back to that spot. Twice, he settled for FG's when everyone knew they needed a TD. Bill Belichek, Sean McDermott, those guys go for it in those spots. That's a successful coach move.

Yes it's 1 game and this game was set up for the Dolphins to lose no matter what. The Tua injury and everything surrounding it sting bad. We'll see what McDaniel is made off now, with the 10 day break (much needed). I am hopeful he comes out of it ok and builds off of this. It is almost like it was NEEDED sadly enough. Do we go up from here or is this the beginning of the disaster?
Welcome to the Forum Flores

I dont understand how else you think that guy was able to tackle Tua? He was being blocked and was able to get an arm around Tua's waste as he, the tackler, was going to the ground.
Tua, as so too often, was off-balance and ill-prepared for contact.
How many goddamn times are you going to say the stupid phrase “ill-prepared for contact”?

Good call. Being up 9-7 on the road as best-case there, vs sustaining a potential TD drive was dumb.
52 yards is makeable but the reward was far from validating the risk of handing Cincy great field position.

If that is your view on a 4th and 1 than you would never gamble. I gamble 4th and 1 every time. The risk is missing the kick which we did and they got even better field position

Once Tua went out, I'll give you that he played with his tail between his legs (outside of the Teddy to Edmonds shuffle pass brilliance). Running on second and long felt so out of the ordinary for him - and I was getting as frustrated as any other fan was watching it when we didn't have the luxury of doing so against the Bengals. To me, that's more of a testament to McD's lack of faith in Teddy. When you feel the need to fall back on a pretty abysmal run game to salvage a winnable game against a mediocre opponent, then you've got to reassess who you've got leading the helm. Teddy is not that guy, but he might have to be against a few even lower quality opponents until (if?) Tua is ready to return
Totally agree-You said it best!

Sheesh. With respect I disagree w everything stated. By the way I love deferring. Shula always did it. BB always does it. He coached a fine game - we were in position to win at the end. I’m sure the INT wasn’t the execution he had in mind

Sheesh. With respect I disagree w everything stated. By the way I love deferring. Shula always did it. BB always does it. He coached a fine game - we were in position to win at the end. I’m sure the INT wasn’t the execution he had in mind
All day and every day...deferring and getting the ball to start the second half is the same as playing at home and getting last bat in baseball.

Pretty much disagree with every point made in the original post. For starters everyone defers when the win the toss. Secondly rather have a a fresher d on the first possession of the the game vs the first possession of the second half. The only possible argument to not defer is you have a really strong game plan offensively. But this team has shown so far they are a much better offensive and defensive team in the 2nd half.

All tho,i will admitt,deferring to get the ball to start the second half works a hell of a lot better,if you don't allow the opposing offense to score on the opening drive for 4 straight games.

Back
Top Bottom