Draft needs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft needs

The fact he is not seen as a leader is the reason I think the Dolphins would not draft him. They have spend this entire season trying to instill leadership qualities in Rosen and I think they would probably go with Rosen over drafting Herbert if it comes down to it. I watched several games Herbert played this past season and I just wasn’t impressed. He has a strong arm but he seems lost if his primary receiver is not open.
I think this may be correct. Can you teach leadership?
The “lesser” QBs, where do they stand on the leadership scale?

Stafford is not the problem in Detroit. If the Lions opted to go QB and made Stafford available for pick 5 I’d be all over it. But that’s not going to happen.

If Tua is on the board at 5 he should be the pick.Miami can let him sit a year to heal and learn. I think the focus early will be defense. I’d rather build the OL with smart FA signings instead of several rookies. That said C would be a position I’d target day 2.

I think its the most important off season since JJs first year.

Stafford is not the problem in Detroit. If the Lions opted to go QB and made Stafford available for pick 5 I’d be all over it. But that’s not going to happen.

If Tua is on the board at 5 he should be the pick.Miami can let him sit a year to heal and learn. I think the focus early will be defense. I’d rather build the OL with smart FA signings instead of several rookies. That said C would be a position I’d target day 2.

You’d trade our Top 5 pick for a 31 year old QB that hasn’t won anything and currently is on IR for a back injury?

I think this may be correct. Can you teach leadership?
The “lesser” QBs, where do they stand on the leadership scale?
Teach? Maybe not, however, places like West Point or Annapolis would disagree.

Leadership is definitely something that can come as ppl mature.

Remember, a lot of these young men have really never been put in that position before, or even any position of real, consequential responsibility.

I gues what I'm saying is that, yes it is a valid concern/consideration, but without some personal interaction with the individual, it's impossible for me, as a fan, to say for sure.

You’d trade our Top 5 pick for a 31 year old QB that hasn’t won anything and currently is on IR for a back injury?
Absolutely. He’d thrive in this scheme. First time he’s missed time since 2011. Watched him lead a comeback and with a separated shoulder throw the winning TD. He’s tough, accurate, smart, leader, competitive, has what it takes to win. Give him a defense and running game and Miami turns it around immediately.

I watch every one of Detroit’s games because I have a hometown rooting interest. If you did it wouldn’t take long for you to to see what’s wrong in Detroit.

If Stafford was 26 instead of 31, I might be willing to listen to an offer...just listen.

As it stands, there's no way that trade should go through without Hong Kong like riots going on in the streets of Miami.

Which players in this draft have the best chance of being a top 5 players in the NFL at their respective position? For example, as much as everybody seems to be falling in love with Burrow, in 4 or 5 years do you see him as being a top 5 NFL qb? If he's a 10 thru 15 type of qb most fans are going to be calling for the team to at least start searching for his replacement.

Sometimes I think we get caught up in the fact that a player might be one of the top rookie prospects in a draft as his position but lose focus on the fact that his NFL ceiling might be just becoming a decent servicable starter. I think Chase Young has the best chance of being dominate at his position. I just don't know if he's a scheme fit for Miami.

As for the team needs, I would say standout players at any position. Miami actually has the making of some decent second and third teir players at several positions. Players that would make good backups, like Needham and some of the other secondary players.

One of the network games (MNF?) shows starters with the PFF rankings beneath,
(Before I go any further, I'm not a big fan of PFF, but their rankings aren't off by a gross amount (i.e., they don't rank Calhoun as 5th best). They seem to be as close as most other services.)End of digression.
I often watch those ranking. I'm always interested in how many players on even top teams rank as average (e.g., 14th of 32 or 35th of 64). That's my obsession. Too many seem to think a player is top 10 or 'serviceable' (no offense). There's a reason average players get big contracts. Average players are important pieces of every team.
Miami has a number of average starters that COULD be upgraded, but don't count on it. Some may be if the opportunity arises, but the focus will be on replacing below average (i.e., awful) players. No, I'm not saying target guys who may be average. Try to get future HOFrs, but if they turn out average, that's a good acquisition. "Average" does not mean the guy will be a "good backup."

Absolutely. He’d thrive in this scheme. First time he’s missed time since 2011. Watched him lead a comeback and with a separated shoulder throw the winning TD. He’s tough, accurate, smart, leader, competitive, has what it takes to win. Give him a defense and running game and Miami turns it around immediately.

I watch every one of Detroit’s games because I have a hometown rooting interest. If you did it wouldn’t take long for you to to see what’s wrong in Detroit.

Had you said a late 1st round pick then maybe...but you said a Top 5 pick.
For a 31 year old QB with back problems!

Did I miss something?? Who the heck is Allen?
Only Allen I know is

Marvin Allen

Dolphins assistant general manager.

Came over from the Bills national scout. Prior to that, Allen was the director of college scouting for the Kansas City Chiefs from 2012-16. Highly respected, 26-year veteran in NFL scouting, Allen also spent five years scouting for the Atlanta Falcons.

Had you said a late 1st round pick then maybe...but you said a Top 5 pick.
For a 31 year old QB with back problems!
As I grew up a fan of the woeful Lions, I follow them as well, and I agree with @MadDog 88 to a point. Stafford is a good QB, with a cannon of an arm, but he isn't "elite".

He also isn't the problem in Detroit, but he isn't the direction I want to go either. I dont want any "backside of thier career" guy, period.

As I grew up a fan of the woeful Lions, I follow them as well, and I agree with @MadDog 88 to a point. Stafford is a good QB, with a cannon of an arm, but he isn't "elite".

He also isn't the problem in Detroit, but he isn't the direction I want to go either. I dont want any "backside of thier career" guy, period.

Especially when you consider all the young pieces we have on the offensive side that are starting to come into their own. I want a young QB that can grow with them and help keep us in contention every year.

Back
Top Bottom