Draft needs | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft needs

How very, .... not thought out .... yes, I have it - REACTIONARY!

I didn't want Tannnehill any longer...Gase did.

I didn't want Cutler from the start...Gase did.

I don't want Stafford this season and beyond (age and salary)...Gase would.

I didn't want a passing based game with a QB who got worse the more he passed...Gase did.

I didn't want the Wide 9 to be our base defense...Gase did, or he didn't care one way or the other.

I want the opposite of Gase. There's nothing reactionary about it.

I think it’s quite hard to guess how we will approach the draft when our team has more holes than set positions. If we draft with a Patriots mentality there is a very low chance we go OL with pick 1a; they simply don’t value them that high. I think a trade down from #4 or #5 and taking Epenesa from Iowa would address a massive need for us.

I think it’s quite hard to guess how we will approach the draft when our team has more holes than set positions. If we draft with a Patriots mentality there is a very low chance we go OL with pick 1a; they simply don’t value them that high. I think a trade down from #4 or #5 and taking Epenesa from Iowa would address a massive need for us.
U got understand one thing. It easy to draft for best team in NFL than it is for one of worst roster in nfl. N.E can miss on player and still be in SB.. dolphins got hit on player to improve this roster.. our roster is in bad shape.. the only reason we won 4 game mostly because of Fitzpatrick....dolphins need elite talent...The main reason the N.E coaches fail in NFL. They trying be somebody they aint.. none of them coaches leave N.E is going be BB.

I think miami trades up with Washington or whoever has the #2 pick out of that group

I didn't want Tannnehill any longer...Gase did.

I didn't want Cutler from the start...Gase did.

I don't want Stafford this season and beyond (age and salary)...Gase would.

I didn't want a passing based game with a QB who got worse the more he passed...Gase did.

I didn't want the Wide 9 to be our base defense...Gase did, or he didn't care one way or the other.

I want the opposite of Gase. There's nothing reactionary about it.

RONG!

U got understand one thing. It easy to draft for best team in NFL than it is for one of worst roster in nfl. N.E can miss on player and still be in SB.. dolphins got hit on player to improve this roster.. our roster is in bad shape.. the only reason we won 4 game mostly because of Fitzpatrick....dolphins need elite talent...The main reason the N.E coaches fail in NFL. They trying be somebody they aint.. none of them coaches leave N.E is going be BB.

Disagree a little. Yeah, fans will take all the elite talent they can get. But, on average, teams have 3-4 All Pros. That's it. Not ELITE! Just All Pro. Yet, some take those 3-4 Al Pros to the playoffs every year. Some finish below .500. You know what the league calls most of those who don't make All Pro? AVERAGE. Miami's first order of business is getting rid on bottom 10 players. Top teams don't have any. It's those bottom 10 starters who put a team in "bad shape."

Disagree a little. Yeah, fans will take all the elite talent they can get. But, on average, teams have 3-4 All Pros. That's it. Not ELITE! Just All Pro. Yet, some take those 3-4 Al Pros to the playoffs every year. Some finish below .500. You know what the league calls most of those who don't make All Pro? AVERAGE. Miami's first order of business is getting rid on bottom 10 players. Top teams don't have any. It's those bottom 10 starters who put a team in "bad shape."

Precisely.

I think you’ve missed my point entirely. The NE system has never prioritized OL. They rely on excellent position coaching to groom cheap FA cast offs and day 2 picks. I don’t think Flores and his staff are going to value an OL player at pick 1a as much as a pass rusher, boundary CB or coverage safety. That’s just my opinion based on how Flores has handled this season. That being said, I think picks 1c, 2a and 2b could end up being 2 OL.

I think you’ve missed my point entirely. The NE system has never prioritized OL. They rely on excellent position coaching to groom cheap FA cast offs and day 2 picks. I don’t think Flores and his staff are going to value an OL player at pick 1a as much as a pass rusher, boundary CB or coverage safety. That’s just my opinion based on how Flores has handled this season. That being said, I think picks 1c, 2a and 2b could end up being 2 OL.
not sure where you got this idea 1st round pick in 2018 was OT, same with Solder. They also have taken DTs, Wr, Rb, and Lbs over the their last 10 drafts. It might be more accurate to say they don’t value 1st round picks since they also trade out of the first quite often, but thats not accurate either. The pats seek value especially more picks.

One thing to keep on mind when talking about what NE does or doesn't do on draft week is the fact they never draft high. I've said before NE doesn't draft Oline high but they actually don't draft any position high because they always have one of the last 3 or 4 picks of the first round....sometimes the last pick and at that point they look for value. Many times guards and sometimes DT's and safeties drop to the late 1st or early 2nd so those are the players they draft.

Here are the first picks for NE since 2012....not all of them have been in the first round because of trading.

2012- Chandler Jones-DE.......pick #21
2013-Jamie Collins-LB........pick #52
2014-Diminique Easley-DT.......pick #29
2015-Malcom Brown-DT.......pick #32
2016-Cyrus Jones- Corner.......pick #60
2017-Derek Rivers- DE.......pick #83
2018-Isiah Wynn- OT.......pick #23 Sonny Michel-RB.......pick #31
2019- N'keal Harris- WR........pick #32

So since 2012 the highest pick has been the 21st pick back in 2021

I'm just doing this for reference but also to show that it's hard to follow what they do because they always draft late while we're normally middle of the pack till this year where we'll have a top 5 pick to go along with the other 2 first rounders we have.

Not to be too much of a pedant, but there are really only 24 all-pro players, and 32 teams, so most teams are lucky to have 1.

Now if we are talking pro-bowl players... the above math begins to make more sense.

Back
Top Bottom