Draft needs | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft needs

not sure where you got this idea 1st round pick in 2018 was OT, same with Solder. They also have taken DTs, Wr, Rb, and Lbs over the their last 10 drafts. It might be more accurate to say they don’t value 1st round picks since they also trade out of the first quite often, but thats not accurate either. The pats seek value especially more picks.

The 4th or 5th pick is not the same as a mid 20s pick. See my post for clarification that I would expect an OL with our 1c pick which projects in that range. The point of my post is not that I expect us to draft like NE. I expect us to evaluate and value players like NE which is where most of our coaching staff is from. Tua at our 1a pick is going to be more and more likely as the draft approaches and he gets medical clearance. Not sure Ross lets another guy he considers a franchise QB slip past us like Lamar Jackson (if Tua is healthy of course).

Disagree a little. Yeah, fans will take all the elite talent they can get. But, on average, teams have 3-4 All Pros. That's it. Not ELITE! Just All Pro. Yet, some take those 3-4 Al Pros to the playoffs every year. Some finish below .500. You know what the league calls most of those who don't make All Pro? AVERAGE. Miami's first order of business is getting rid on bottom 10 players. Top teams don't have any. It's those bottom 10 starters who put a team in "bad shape."

An interesting concept in that you build from the bottom instead of adding to the top.

I feel a combination of weeding out the weakest links, which would be where most of our effort is currently needed, and augmenting that with the addition of some very good players, if and when they are available to us, is the way to go.

This approach could be restated by saying we use the back of the draft and UDFA's to build from the bottom and we use the top of the draft and veteran free agents to "spice up" the team (augment) some of the more critical positions found on NFL teams, such as QB's and LB's (play callers).

It's like making a meal, get the material for the main course, add spice & stuff to augment the flavor and cook it properly (training camp, coaching and game planning) to get a good result. Actually game planning is more akin to matching the meal to the people its being served to. I think you'll agree that steak wouldn't satisfy a bunch of vegetarians.

I think you’ve missed my point entirely. The NE system has never prioritized OL. They rely on excellent position coaching to groom cheap FA cast offs and day 2 picks. I don’t think Flores and his staff are going to value an OL player at pick 1a as much as a pass rusher, boundary CB or coverage safety. That’s just my opinion based on how Flores has handled this season. That being said, I think picks 1c, 2a and 2b could end up being 2 OL.
I am not saying u right or wrong but
U really think being cheap on oline is going work...our oline is worst than last yr oline???

I am not saying u right or wrong but
U really think being cheap on oline is going work...our oline is worst than last yr oline???

I’d target Joe Thuney in FA, draft an OT in round 1 and target Creed Humphrey (C) at the start of round 2. I know our OL is hot garbage. I just accept that I have no control over what the FO and coaching staff will do.

I think it’s quite hard to guess how we will approach the draft when our team has more holes than set positions. If we draft with a Patriots mentality there is a very low chance we go OL with pick 1a; they simply don’t value them that high. I think a trade down from #4 or #5 and taking Epenesa from Iowa would address a massive need for us.
Do you know their GM, or something?

I’d target Joe Thuney in FA, draft an OT in round 1 and target Creed Humphrey (C) at the start of round 2. I know our OL is hot garbage. I just accept that I have no control over what the FO and coaching staff will do.
Me too so dont take it personal. Just kill time at work

Need a Veteran bell cow on the oline. Hoops hope your wrong on that trade up but Tua is our target hell or highwater imo soo.

Need a Veteran bell cow on the oline. Hoops hope your wrong on that trade up but Tua is our target hell or highwater imo soo.
I dont see what yall see in Tua.. that guy would get kill behind the dolphins line. Dolphins need qb like murry. Who can ran and throw on go.

I've said since day 1. Sign one of the Guards this year. Overpay if necessary. Get a guy that can play every down for the next four or five years. This will solidify the interior of our line and allow us to concentrate on drafting Tackles who might become stars.
Dieter might make it, but UDFAs like Calhoun? Unlikely.

Everything but maybe wait until after the draft to pickup another receiver

The 4th or 5th pick is not the same as a mid 20s pick. See my post for clarification that I would expect an OL with our 1c pick which projects in that range. The point of my post is not that I expect us to draft like NE. I expect us to evaluate and value players like NE which is where most of our coaching staff is from. Tua at our 1a pick is going to be more and more likely as the draft approaches and he gets medical clearance. Not sure Ross lets another guy he considers a franchise QB slip past us like Lamar Jackson (if Tua is healthy of course).

I guess I don’t see how the pats don’t value OL. 2 of their last 9 1st rounders have been OL. Pats never draft top 5 so I don’t know how you could say they would never take an OL that high so we won’t either. If Ross is doing our draft we’re in trouble. Lamar is a time bomb. He got hit more than any other QB this year, only a matter of time til it catches up to him.

Back
Top Bottom