Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special

Still don't think he is the type of QB this regime is looking for, but I do like Mallet. Hell I have been saying the top 4 being gone by the 12th pick for the longest, I really don't think we have any decision to make on Mallet because somebody will pull the trigger before we do. We are going to be left with Christian Ponder at 15, and if we get cute and trade down, we are going to lose out on him as well.

After reading your Draft Winds articles this year, I get the impression based off your research that you would be comfortable taking at least 4 QB's at number #15.(assuming you like Gabbert). Would it be fair to say that this is actually a really good/great QB class based off your scouting reports of Ponder, Newton, and now Mallett?

I ask this question becuase i hold TEDSLIMMS opionion in high regard. I have heard him say many times that Mallett is his only 1st round grade QB in this draft. I know all scouts are different but what are the chances that all 4 of these QB's not making it to pick 15?

I went into this post season draft analysis thinking Newton, Gabbert, Locker and Mallett would go in round 1 but not really liking Mallett. I thought LAST year that Ponder would be a top 15 pick.

But subsequent to really working on the film and the research I think Gabbert, Newton, Mallett and Ponder are the 1st round QB's and that someone will take Locker and maybe Andy Dalton in R1 as well. I think Gabbert, Newton will go top 10 and that Mallett will go to the Vikings.

Mallett is ridiculously hard working. I've not encountered a player who will outwork him in this years draft. Maybe Rock Carmichael. So this stuff about him not working hard is lies.Turst me. I spent HOURS poring over articles, cuttings, emails to people, etc. Anything else is just a lie.

Was one of the most intriguing things I got out of this thread . . . probably the first time I have heard that in regards to Mallet. Very refreshing to say the least. Thanks.

First, another great article.

But, in regard to Mallett being the hardest working man in show business, shouldn't it be assumed that this is limited to the things he values, and that the things he values might not include everything he should? I mean this to say, he's gone from a bad athlete as a Junior to a horrendous athlete as a Senior. As Slimm noted a few weeks back, 5.37 is NO ONE'S optimal 40 time. Would a coach be able to convince him to work the **** out? Would he work as hard in this facet as he does in the film room, etc?

First, another great article.

But, in regard to Mallett being the hardest working man in show business, shouldn't it be assumed that this is limited to the things he values, and that the things he values might not include everything he should? I mean this to say, he's gone from a bad athlete as a Junior to a horrendous athlete as a Senior. As Slimm noted a few weeks back, 5.37 is NO ONE'S optimal 40 time. Would a coach be able to convince him to work the **** out? Would he work as hard in this facet as he does in the film room, etc?

First off, the things I've found suggest that he does actually work very hard on his conditioning and whatnot. Second, I'm just not sure where the idea comes from that he was a worse athlete in 2010 than 2009.

The 5.37 COULD show that he's not working hard at his conditioning. TedSlimmJr and I both brought that up in the wake of the 5.37 at his Pro Day, and it's a concern. What if you tell him to work harder at it, and he just gives you some response like "I already do" even though you know he doesn't? You worry about that. But the fact of the matter is, I've found more evidence that he works hard on it than evidence that he doesn't. He says the 5.37 was due to pulling a groin during the run and that he's run into the 5's and even broken into the 4.9's before (probably wind at his back, wearing gold shoes, etc). I'm not prepared to call him a liar. Based on his broad jump and vertical and his tape, I know what kind of athlete he is and I know who to compare him to, and I've not found anything yet to convince me he's not working on his conditioning.

Not questioning his conditioning as much as the work one does to become a more explosive athlete. To my eyes, his feet were quicker in '09.

Not questioning his conditioning as much as the work one does to become a more explosive athlete. To my eyes, his feet were quicker in '09.

I don't think I can agree with that. The escapability I saw from him against Alabama and Texas A&M, I don't think I would have seen that in 2009.

I went into this post season draft analysis thinking Newton, Gabbert, Locker and Mallett would go in round 1 but not really liking Mallett. I thought LAST year that Ponder would be a top 15 pick.

But subsequent to really working on the film and the research I think Gabbert, Newton, Mallett and Ponder are the 1st round QB's and that someone will take Locker and maybe Andy Dalton in R1 as well. I think Gabbert, Newton will go top 10 and that Mallett will go to the Vikings.

I feel very similarly about the draft this year. I could see Gabbert to the Panthers, Newton to the Bills, Mallett to the Vikings...the real question I have is how far up the board Ponder goes. I could very easily see the Dolphins getting cute, trading back, and the Jags picking Ponder right up in the next spot.

In my mind's eye I keep seeing Ireland being asked in the post draft presser, "What made you pass on Christian Ponder in the first round?" and his response being, "We saw this draft as being full of talent and felt it important to maximize the amount of players we picked up and gave a shot to. We also did not have Christian rated at the 15 spot". The truth will be that the team wanted to pick Ponder up in a trade down, but got cute, missed out, and will present it in another way.

Ireland would try and dance around it for obvious reasons, but he's not generally one to over-hype the players he does take. The press were obsessed with the idea that Phil Merling fell to #32 and the Dolphins were lucky to get him at that spot, and when they asked him about Merling, something like were you surprised he fell to #32, etc...Ireland was like "No, we had him rated right about where we took him."

the 09 stuff i've seen of mallett he looked leaner to me and a bit more athletic...the 2010 version kinda looked to me like he had carb loaded to gain some weight...maybe he hit the weight room...at any rate i'm more a fan of the 09 body version in the pros...

Thanks for the great work. Does it concern anyone that a while back Sparano was talking about watching film and saying a large number of big plays coming from mobile Qb extending plays. It makes me afraid that they are wanting a more mobile QB. Mobile is nice but It is just part of the picture, I think QB of all types can be winners. Roethlisberger is nothing like Brady but they are both winners. Manning,Brady,Rivers,Schaub,Flacco are all pretty immobile but I would take anyone of them.

You guys must have started something. Ryan Mccyrstal of Draftace.com. and Wes Bunting of National Football Post both have us taking Mallett at 15 in their latest Mocks.

Thanks for the great work. Does it concern anyone that a while back Sparano was talking about watching film and saying a large number of big plays coming from mobile Qb extending plays. It makes me afraid that they are wanting a more mobile QB. Mobile is nice but It is just part of the picture, I think QB of all types can be winners. Roethlisberger is nothing like Brady but they are both winners. Manning,Brady,Rivers,Schaub,Flacco are all pretty immobile but I would take anyone of them.

Yes that does bother me. That's primarily why even though I like Mallett a lot, I have not been pegging him for Miami. It's also one reason I consider Ponder a strong favorite for Miami.

However, recent developments have led me to the conclusion that Miami are engaging in some counter-intelligence with respect to Mallett. What the final aim is? I don't know. I'm not going to say it's some grand plan that they have hatched or anything like that. I'm just saying, the Dolphins doth protest too much, and part of that comes from someone "in the know" that I just had an email conversation with.

Just seen where Al Fronczak of Eastcoastsports.com now also has Mallett going to us a 15. In his his write up he says we will be trying to trade down but rumors of Mallett falling are false and character concerns are overblown. Our guys at Draft Winds were the first ones I had read saying character concerns were overblown, thanks for the hard work you seem to be ahead of the big time draft experts at times. PS not saying you are not big time.

Back
Top Bottom