Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special

So I said yards instead of TD's ................geesh.

:lol:

i will say this about Mallett. I went into the draft season thinking that Mallett was overrated. But this is what film study and research does for you. I would now happily take him at pick 15. I even went into this article thinking that I was on the fence. But researching him convinced me. He's the sort of player I'd want to play for.

and i really like that he thinks touchdown instead of check down...the balls going down the field for chunk yardage...none of this dink and dunk garbage where you have to have 15 play perfect drives to score...here comes the hammer...and the throws on fade routes into the end zone as he approaches or is in the red zone they couldn't be placed any better if on a string...over the outside shoulder where only the wr can make a play and tap the toes in...money... guys with that kind of cannon arm with that kind of touch are rare

anyways guys...thats another great piece...really appreciate your work

As usually, great work. I'm extremely impressed with the level of work you guys did concerning Mallet's supposed character concerns. Digging up high school information about him probably wasn't the most fun activity ever. Brilliant job.

i will say this about Mallett. I went into the draft season thinking that Mallett was overrated. But this is what film study and research does for you. I would know happily take him at pick 15. I even went into this article thinking that I was on the fence. But researching him convinced me. He's the sort of player I'd want to play for.

I could not agree more. I went into height of bowl season, January, thinking he is overrated. I went into it being convinced that some of the scramblers are better including Tyrod Taylor. Anf if CK remembers I was even high on Tolzien. But the more I watched the break down of Mallet's game the more clear it appeared that this guy is the real deal. I feel your exact sentiments.
I agree, any team that needs a pocket passer that breaks this guy down diligently will not be able to resist falling in love with Mallet.

this seems a bit odd to me...don't you recall me asking right after the ohio st bowl game and he had thrown the int against the dropping dlineman to seal the loss that would you take him at #15 and you said outright that he wasn't worth the pick??? you gave me a flat no when i said yes i would take him

i guess your study has changed your mind???

That's correct. But the study that changed my mind happened in...probably only a week after that, actually. If you recall that conversation I did say that he was very impressive in that bowl game on the whole and improved in some key areas, basically had the same game to me as Blaine Gabbert did against Iowa and I thought he had a great day and showed improvement as well. What changed my mind were really three things, one the deeper I looked the more I saw that he doesn't really have a prolific history of blowing chunks in big moments, it's just happened a few times. Two, when I saw what his stats were against the blitz through the first 10 games of the year, that was a HUGE red flag to me that I'm probably WAY off in my thinking that he doesn't handle pressure. You don't get those stats against the blitz without handling pressure like a champ. Three, I gotta be honest I'm watching an NFL playoffs that includes a dog killer/someone that got out of jail and still had the guy that rolled over on him to Federal prosecutors shot at his 30th birthday party, and then there's a rapist, and he was going to the Super Bowl. Again. At that point I threw my hands up and said you know what, Ryan Mallett's a first rounder just like Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert, absolutely 100% for sure, and I don't care what skeletons are in his closet.

i will say this about Mallett. I went into the draft season thinking that Mallett was overrated. But this is what film study and research does for you. I would now happily take him at pick 15. I even went into this article thinking that I was on the fence. But researching him convinced me. He's the sort of player I'd want to play for.

After reading your Draft Winds articles this year, I get the impression based off your research that you would be comfortable taking at least 4 QB's at number #15.(assuming you like Gabbert). Would it be fair to say that this is actually a really good/great QB class based off your scouting reports of Ponder, Newton, and now Mallett?

I ask this question becuase i hold TEDSLIMMS opionion in high regard. I have heard him say many times that Mallett is his only 1st round grade QB in this draft. I know all scouts are different but what are the chances that all 4 of these QB's not making it to pick 15?

I would say chances are good one of those 4 would be there. But without FA before the draft its so hard to tell. Do teams want to risk passing on a QB and take their chances in FA? That makes this years draft so hard to speculate because its new.

After reading your Draft Winds articles this year, I get the impression based off your research that you would be comfortable taking at least 4 QB's at number #15.(assuming you like Gabbert). Would it be fair to say that this is actually a really good/great QB class based off your scouting reports of Ponder, Newton, and now Mallett?

I ask this question becuase i hold TEDSLIMMS opionion in high regard. I have heard him say many times that Mallett is his only 1st round grade QB in this draft. I know all scouts are different but what are the chances that all 4 of these QB's not making it to pick 15?

That's really the bottom line. At first I thought there were only two 1st round caliber quarterbacks in this Draft. As I said above, I had some wrong ideas about Ryan Mallett's handling of pressure that became evident as I went along, and plus it helps you be more comfortable with a so-called "bad character" guy when you see a rapist and dog killer leading their teams in the playoffs, Super Bowl, getting congratulatory phone calls from President Obama, etc.

I still kind of had Christian Ponder in limbo because I loved him coming out of 2009, but was disappointed in his injury-riddled 2010. As we got on, I became more comfortable with him and have added him as a fourth guy I would be comfortable taking at #15.

I have been saying since 2009 that this 2011 quarterbacks class would be a good one. That hasn't changed for me. It's a unique class because of how varied it is, and how all of the guys come at you from different angles to where most people are guaranteed to love two of them and hate four of them, or something like that...but everyone loves a different two and hates a different four, if that makes sense. There are definitely six guys in this Draft with very good to elite starting talent, in the physical sense...whether it be a combination of size, athleticism and big arm (Newton, Gabbert, Kaepernick, Locker), or a guy like Mallett who combines elite size and elite arm talent, or a guy like Ponder who has as elite athletic ability as you're going to get outside of Michael Vick, to go along with a good arm and a lot of versatility to his game.

I mean you take the mile high view of this group, don't get caught up (yet) in the nitty gritty details, you don't often find a combination of six quarterbacks in a Draft class that present this way on the football field with these unique gifts. You have seven guys rated in the top three rounds right now by services like NFL Draft Scout, five of them (Gabbert, Newton, Mallett, Kaepernick, Locker) have HUGE arms...not just good arms but huge ones. Five of them won at least 10 games this year. Four of them are 6'5" or above. Five of them run better than a 4.63 in the 40 yard dash, and three of them run better than a 4.56. Seriously, you don't often see the kind of physical talent that the top of this quarterbacks class boasts.

not sure mallet will be there at #15

miami has to take him

he's got a freaking outstanding arm

Back
Top Bottom