Drafting Mallett Would Be A Huge Mistake....HUGE! | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting Mallett Would Be A Huge Mistake....HUGE!

This thread is the first I've seen where someone thinks we're going to navigate to a WCO under this regime.

Just think about last off season....
Who did they try and go after to replace Tony? It was Jim Harbaugh and what type of offense will he run? A WCO.....
Ricky Williams just recently on the radio said Miami seems to be going in a different direction offensively where they will not run the ball like they have before….

The owner wants to see a more up tempo style offense and the WCO is the answer. That is why I do not think they are looking seriously at ANY QB who is not mobile.

I admit I am reading between the lines.....and time will tell... 8 days and counting.

This thread is the first I've seen where someone thinks we're going to navigate to a WCO under this regime.

They claim they are going to a similar offense of New England. Well if you look at that offense it's a cross between the WCO and the spread. The WCO has evolved so much there are so many different versions. Philly and GB run a WCO that throws the ball down the field, which isn't the traditional offense. Was and Hou run one that throws the ball down the field, but is more run heavy. NE and KC run a hybrid of the WCO and spread. Clev and Seat probably run the closest to a traditional WCO, but I would imagine San Fran will as well. The only thing all of those really have in common is they set up the run with the pass instead of setting up the pass with the run. They spread the field and create running lanes.

I do not hate Mallett I just do not think in our Division where we have two of the top Defensive minds in the game we would be foolish enough to put a Statute at the QB position.....

Call me crazy!

If they draft him I will wish him well, but I also wish Henne well too.....

And here lies the problem. You keep calling Mallett a statue. Have you ever seen him play? I'm guessing no since he moves fairly well within the pocket, enough that it makes you look foolish to keep referring to him as a statue.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/ryan-mallett-runs-5-37-forty-time-at-pro-day/

Ryan Mallett runs 5.37 forty time at Pro Day

Posted by Evan Silva on March 8, 2011, 1:24 PM EDT
ryanmallettpic-1.jpg

Quarterback Ryan Mallett ran a 5.37 forty-yard dash time at the Arkansas Razorbacks’ Pro Day on Tuesday.
Mallett was the only quarterback to not run at last week’s Scouting Combine, and we now know why.
He’s lineman-slow.
While forty times and similar measurables have no known correlation to NFL success, Mallett’s Pro Day performance confirms the belief that he’s a below-average athlete. Mallett’s other measurables from Tuesday: 26-inch vertical and 8-foot, 7 1/4-inch broad jump at 6-foot-7 and 247 pounds.
He’s lost six pounds since the Combine.
Among the quarterbacks timed in Indianapolis, Mallett’s forty would’ve ranked 18th of 18. His broad jump would’ve ranked 16th of the 17 signal callers to participate in that measurement, and his vertical would rank 16th of 17 as well.

What part of slow don't you understand?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/ryan-mallett-runs-5-37-forty-time-at-pro-day/

Ryan Mallett runs 5.37 forty time at Pro Day

Posted by Evan Silva on March 8, 2011, 1:24 PM EDT
ryanmallettpic-1.jpg

Quarterback Ryan Mallett ran a 5.37 forty-yard dash time at the Arkansas Razorbacks’ Pro Day on Tuesday.
Mallett was the only quarterback to not run at last week’s Scouting Combine, and we now know why.
He’s lineman-slow.
While forty times and similar measurables have no known correlation to NFL success, Mallett’s Pro Day performance confirms the belief that he’s a below-average athlete. Mallett’s other measurables from Tuesday: 26-inch vertical and 8-foot, 7 1/4-inch broad jump at 6-foot-7 and 247 pounds.
He’s lost six pounds since the Combine.
Among the quarterbacks timed in Indianapolis, Mallett’s forty would’ve ranked 18th of 18. His broad jump would’ve ranked 16th of the 17 signal callers to participate in that measurement, and his vertical would rank 16th of 17 as well.

What part of slow don't you understand?

:lol:

This is why no one is taking you seriously. You don't understand the difference between speed and elusiveness...

You are twisted on that one.....he's a 6'-7" and runs a 5.37- 40 and can't out run an offensive lineman and you think he’s elusive? You fail to understand he’s coming to the BIG BOY level and he will not be able to avoid the rush that‘s coming his way like he did against amateur players in College….

Among the quarterbacks timed in Indianapolis, Mallett’s forty would’ve ranked 18th of 18.

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

"He’s lineman-slow"

Do i want a quarterback who can run fast or throw the ball.............
Last i checked the best quarterbacks of the past decade, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have a few things in common..... and being fleet of foot isn't what makes a good quarterback

Tell Aaron Rodgers and Mike Vick that....

And Mike Vick used to be(and i believe still is) one of the most sacked quarterbacks in the NFL. Why you might ask? Because speed means absolutely nothing. Vick(and Vince Young, and others) first instinct is to run around, which frustrates his offensive lineman to no end because protection breaks down completely once he starts getting cute. The minute a quarterback breaks the pocket on anything but a designed play, its open season. The Eagles can, at the very least, get a high second round pick for Kolb. Why are they considering keeping him? Because Vick gets injured. Alot. Why does this amazingly fast qb get injured all the time? Because he gets hit all the time.
Steve Young figured this out. It took awhile(relatively), but he became a hall of fame quarterback when he learned to stick in the pocket and get the ball to his playmakers. Randall Cummingham had his best year when he left the Eagles and learned to stay in the pocket(admittedly Randy Moss and Cris Carter helped the transition...by alot).

This video's starts out with "Dan Marino might be the worlds slowest quarterback...but he was not the slowest mammal..."

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801f9781/Top-Ten-Mobile-QBs-Dan-Marino

They then go on to debate if Marino was mobile or not. Fran Tarkenton said "You certainly cannot call Dan Marino a mobile quarterback". Immediately before Fran, a sports writer states "Dan Marino is a brilliantly mobile quarterback". Marino was put on the list because he had the ability to move around in the pocket when he felt pressure. Those who have done actual research on Mallett(and posted the proof, not used your excuse of "its not my style to back up my posts with evidence") show he to has the ability to feel pressure in the pocket and get rid of the ball. With that ability, being "super duper fast" matters for absolutely nothing. Aaron Rodgers knows this, as he mainly uses his feet to set up the pass. That being said, when he does run he usually trucks it for the first down then slides or gets out of bounds. Even the slowest quarterbacks in the NFL do that. Peyton Manning has made it a science to run, then begin to slide well short of the first down so he can't be touched but can get the extra yards. Unbelievably cheap, but effective.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...ful-NFL-rules-The-sliding-one-?urn=nfl-282167

Your posts are getting more and more amusing. I personally love how you used Mel Kiper as a source of validation. You know, the guy who said Jake Long would never be a left tackle and only a good right tackle. This of course is when he's not getting busted helping agent friends of his pay off college players. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html

So lets see: you refused to answer my own questions earlier in the thread about what would happen to Henne in 2011(answer: even if we draft a qb he would still be on the team most likely as the starter, and could keep the job if he played well). Unlike your "nemesis", you dont like to post evidence backing your claims. You WILL post rumors and innuendos whenever the slightest anti-Mallett thing comes out. And you will pull a Brett Favre, retiring from this forum only to rush back. Its not like you were doing your credibility any favors before hand, but the utter bias of your posts is outstanding. The fact that you have attacked and labelled someone who does his research so well he(and others) is getting national attention because of it just adds to the fun.
I think im starting to understand why so many people watch reality television. Watching the self-destruction of othes can, at times, be thoroughly amusing. The sheer amount of provably false information you are posting is going to make this an absolutely gem to bump later in the year. And yes, that statement is still very valid even if Mallett doesn't work out.

"but the utter bias of your posts is outstanding."

Pot meet Kettle......

There are enough reports on Mallett to send up a red flag for any smart GM. He SHOULD not be a first round pick not only for Miami, but for any Team IMO.

If you want me to do research and provide some data like the "unbalanced One" then pay me and I will.

Other than that I am content with sticking with my opinion because at the end of all of your & the “Unbalanced Ones” long drawn out post that I refuse to read and skip to the end...(Like a boring book) It is no more than what I produced "An Opinion"

They claim they are going to a similar offense of New England. Well if you look at that offense it's a cross between the WCO and the spread. The WCO has evolved so much there are so many different versions. Philly and GB run a WCO that throws the ball down the field, which isn't the traditional offense. Was and Hou run one that throws the ball down the field, but is more run heavy. NE and KC run a hybrid of the WCO and spread. Clev and Seat probably run the closest to a traditional WCO, but I would imagine San Fran will as well. The only thing all of those really have in common is they set up the run with the pass instead of setting up the pass with the run. They spread the field and create running lanes.

you're referring to the Walsh version of the WCO. the original version is the Don Coryell/Ernie Zampese version, which was a couple of years earlier. THAT offense relied on a power run game and a deep passing attack, much like what Houston is using today.

you're referring to the Walsh version of the WCO. the original version is the Don Coryell/Ernie Zampese version, which was a couple of years earlier. THAT offense relied on a power run game and a deep passing attack, much like what Houston is using today.

You're right, I should have said the version most people think of when they think WCO which would be Walsh's system. Short passing and YAC.

Back
Top Bottom