Dt Is Huge Problem | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dt Is Huge Problem

twix2500

Active Roster
Reaction score
Last night was the second game where DTs were just getting over powered. At times you seen one guard handle 2 DTs. Then you add that you have two rookie LBers in McMillan and Baker you are trying to develop. How are you suppose to do that when your DTs are not handling their jobs in front of them. Its one thing to move on from Suh for a different strategy, but not having a plan to replace his position was horrible execution of roster moves. Should had at least got an veteran stop gap who can swallow up 2 OLmen.

Last night was the second game where DTs were just getting over powered. At times you seen one guard handle 2 DTs. Then you add that you have two rookie LBers in McMillan and Baker you are trying to develop. How are you suppose to do that when your DTs are not handling their jobs in front of them. Its one thing to move on from Suh for a different strategy, but not having a plan to replace his position was horrible execution of roster moves. Should had at least got an veteran stop gap who can swallow up 2 OLmen.
For example? Those guys are not available. Suh's contract made it nearly impossible to keep him, and it wasn't working anyway. I will take the wait and see approach on the tackle situation. This is a good time to develop the young guys IMO. More concerned with the linebackers at this point.

For example? Those guys are not available. Suh's contract made it nearly impossible to keep him, and it wasn't working anyway. I will take the wait and see approach on the tackle situation. This is a good time to develop the young guys IMO. More concerned with the linebackers at this point.

How was it not working? Maybe we didn't have the #1 defense or the #1 run defense but we also didn't have the worst run defense either which looks like where this is headed. Playing in the game is not the only way young can can develop. They can develop playing along side an All Pro DT and watch how he plays, and trains while working on themselves. Aaron Rogers developed just fine sitting on the bench until it was his turn to go or to a lesser degree Chad Pennington developed just fine after sitting on the bench for 2 years.

How was it not working? Maybe we didn't have the #1 defense or the #1 run defense but we also didn't have the worst run defense either which looks like where this is headed. Playing in the game is not the only way young can can develop. They can develop playing along side an All Pro DT and watch how he plays, and trains while working on themselves. Aaron Rogers developed just fine sitting on the bench until it was his turn to go or to a lesser degree Chad Pennington developed just fine after sitting on the bench for 2 years.
We weren't not the worst, but we were certainly not playoff caliber, and the resources required to keep Suh didn't justify the impact IMO.

Scheme scheme scheme
I'm not a fan of this wide nine either, but if players are out of position like they constantly are, scheme is irrelevant.

I know we are very young on D, but I lay a lot of this on the coaching.

Then why in the hairy **** did the Dolphins restructure that contract? People keep acting as if this was all guided by some invisible hand in a laissez-faire system of contract negotiations ... but it wasn't. Tbaum did that **** with his eyes wide open ... and everyone in that FO who agreed is complicit.

Not picking on you, I just want to stop reading how the fins had no choice in the matter because they were saddled by some insane contract parameters totally out of their control. It's just not true. There is no fault for the insanity of that extension except with fins brass.

And, of course, it would be better for the youngsters to learn from Suh instead of a guy who won't make it past his rookie contract with the team.

Then why in the hairy **** did the Dolphins restructure that contract? People keep acting as if this was all guided by some invisible hand in a laissez-faire system of contract negotiations ... but it wasn't. Tbaum did that **** with his eyes wide open ... and everyone in that FO who agreed is complicit.

Not picking on you, I just want to stop reading how the fins had no choice in the matter because they were saddled by some insane contract parameters totally out of their control. It's just not true. There is no fault for the insanity of that extension except with fins brass.

And, of course, it would be better for the youngsters to learn from Suh instead of a guy who won't make it past his rookie contract with the team.

I thought is was a dumb signing from the very beginning. Everyone could see that there was virtually no possibility that we could carry that salary til the conclusion.

As far as Such "teaching" the younger guys, that's not who he was.
I say that as a guy who followed his career in Detroit as well.

Reminds me a bit of when we got rid of Brandon Marshal knowing we would be left with Hartline, Bess and Gibson. Then signed that Legadu Nanee dude. Gonna be ugly.

I thought is was a dumb signing from the very beginning. Everyone could see that there was virtually no possibility that we could carry that salary til the conclusion.

I said it too and got blasted for it but they were almost over the hump with the crazy hits. Wasn't it falling to a reasonable cap hit range when they decided to extend him? That contract was just about to become manageable before they did that. And even if that was still too much and they wanted to move on, all of a sudden he has trade value if the extension isn't so ludicrous.

And I'm just going to assume you're not actually suggesting Phillips would be better to learn from than Suh. Unless Phillips is some world class motivator, who cares? Just observing how it's done has to be better than whatever scraps of nothing they're left with now.

Basically too late at this point to do anything. Again the board was somewhat split between the DT position is a problem and will let the young guys play develop and use Hayes etc.

Was hoping we would do more but here we are.

Someone else basically pointed it out but were not sure of CB2, LB big ? Inability to control the line of scrimmage. Im not sure how this D is supposed to be ‘good’.

Gotta score and keep ahead on the scoreboard I guess.

Yes, there absolutely was.

Just comes down to a poor front office. Bill Billicheat retools every 4 to 5 years changing the offensive or defensive scheme around to keep the rest of the league on their toes before they zeroe in on him. He churns out all pros and constantly is trading getting the upper hand. So it can be done. Thats part of my contrarian thinking about Gase when he takes the same path as the past upteen coaches we have had here needing to retool the roster to win only for us to falter and do it all over again. Hope I am wrong this is probably the season of the tale for Gase.

Reminds me a bit of when we got rid of Brandon Marshal knowing we would be left with Hartline, Bess and Gibson. Then signed that Legadu Nanee dude. Gonna be ugly.

Worse than that. They didn't even have Gibson. It was Hartline (who almost died that off-season), Bess, and... uh, Marlon Moore.

Watch Vincent Taylor and Jordan Phillips end up starting at DT (and doing a good job), with Akeem Spence and Davon Godchaux rotating in off the bench (and maybe Jamiyus Pittman). :D

Back
Top Bottom