Eli just got cheaper, and it's a risk to stay put | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eli just got cheaper, and it's a risk to stay put

Phinzone

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Eli just got cheaper....

The asking price for Eli just got cheaper....

First of all, I want to start off saying I'm a Rivers fan. Watched him for hte past 3 years, think he's a great QB. And I want him.

However, I am nervous about sitting at the 20 spot. While I don't think anyone will take him before us, I think it's entirely possible that Dalls, or GB will try to trade right in front of us to possibly nab him. And as it sits.

Now, we know we have the power to get the #1 pcik with O-gun from San Diego, but I think the price just got cheaper. Think of this...San Diego is a 50/50 chance to take a QB with the top pick. Word on the street is, they might trade down. IF Rivers impressed them, it would be VERY much in their best interest to trade down, and nab him later. They need a lot more on that team than a QB, starting wtih Defense. Here's what we should propose....

We should offer our late first, Madison,a nd the rights to O-gun to San Diego. This gives them exactly what they need.

Their in the market for a top-tier DE. We can't trade O-gun, as he's not signed, but we CAN trade the RIGHTS to O-gun to them. They'll have the right to match any offer that another team proposes to O-gun. THis will ensure them either a great DE< or a first and third pick for O-gun.

Next, they get our 20th pick.

Last but not least, they can have Madison. madison has said he will restructure. If we backload his contract, and cut his bonus (which is what will happen anyway) we can unload him to them for little cap hit. IF we needed to, we can then pursue law in the FA, but I think we have a decent Rotation for this season at DB. We'll need to pursue one soon after though.

I wouldn't give much more if anything more for this pick though. maybe a conditional pick that's thrid, possibly first rounder. THat would be great, as it would cost us two rounder if he turns out to be a franchise QB right off the bat (which won't happen).

I'm just trying to ensure that we get a future franchise QB. Rivers can be it, but consider this. Other teams that are on the edge of WANTING to draft a QB that are allready in the high rounds COULD trade up to San Diego's spot. They wouldn't pass on a chance at manning, when their on the fence. Then San Diego would trade down, and get multiple first round picks (or players to fill their gaps through the trade) AND Rivers with a lower pick. It's risky to sit on the 20th pick, we'll have people on teh fence that can swap with SD, and people looking to get ahead of us. I saw we pull the gun on this one.

Of these teams, I am talking about...I don't think any of these teams would take a QB at their current spot, but I think any of them would jump at the chance to snag Eli....

Washington, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Tampa Bay?. Washington is in position ot move up if they want, it would be a shame to have them snag Eli, Cards snag Ben, and have SD trade down and snag river lowers. Just a darn shame.

Not worth it to snag ELI, too much for someone who may not pan out.

I want Rivers real bad, but I dont propose moving up.

Originally posted by BruceDickinson
Not worth it to snag ELI, too much for someone who may not pan out.

I want Rivers real bad, but I dont propose moving up.

If he can be had for OG, Madison, and our first round pick, i think it'd be worht it. The conditional pick as well. The thing we'd lose out on at worst is 3rd round pick (if we did that) next year, and Madison. OG should be gone after this year. We can't resign him now, nor next year, and in not letting him leave for picks (or in a trade like this) he will walk away from us wihtout us getting ANYTHING in return. I don't propose we move up for Rivers either, that would be a FAR reach, but we'd be out Madison, and a conditional pick for next year. I'm cool with that.

Last but not least, they can have Madison. madison has said he will restructure. If we backload his contract, and cut his bonus (which is what will happen anyway) we can unload him to them for little cap hit. IF we needed to, we can then pursue law in the FA, but I think we have a decent Rotation for this season at DB. We'll need to pursue one soon after though.

That's completely false. If we restructure Madison's contract before (hypothetically of course) we trade/cut him the cap hit will be LARGER, not smaller. Restructuring adds to the bonus money that is prorated, not reduce it.

We should offer our late first, Madison,a nd the rights to O-gun to San Diego. This gives them exactly what they need

Madison, Ogun, and a 1st rounder is cheap? get real, that would be an awful deal. maybe a 1st and ogun rights, but don't throw in Madison.. (not to mention the dead weight would kill miami).

not to mention you haven't seen Manning in a pro style offense (which is what the senior bowl was). the combine didn't happen either...

ridiculous...

You can't trade Madison. First of all, you can't cut bonus money unless it is bonus money that hasn't been paid yet. Also, if we trade Madison, we will take a HUGE cap hit.

I dont like this Idea and disagree with it....We are giving up way too much.

Originally posted by Fisticuff

Madison, Ogun, and a 1st rounder is cheap? get real, that would be an awful deal. maybe a 1st and ogun rights, but don't throw in Madison.. (not to mention the dead weight would kill miami).

not to mention you haven't seen Manning in a pro style offense (which is what the senior bowl was). the combine didn't happen either...

ridiculous...

Do you honestly think that's a bad deal? Do you have any idea how the draft works? Look up the draft value chart, we would be luck if we could get that deal. That would be an AWESOME deal.

Late first rounder, a guy that's leaving ANYWAY, and a DB on the downward slope of his career and would be cut if he didnt' restructure. news flash, cuttin him would do the same thing as trading him. Though he said he's d restructure.

This off season, madison was either

1. Going to be cut

or

2. renegotiate his contract.

First of all, trading him would have the same result as cutting him. It would accelerate his bonuses, and we'd take the same him, thoguh we could do it after 6/1 and save some more, but was that going to happen?

Next, correct me if I'm wrong, but if we cut his bonus down, and offer him more in terms of his salary, he has less guranteed. THEY would have to pick up his higher salary, which really isn't that bad. Once again, I could be wrong.

Third, we have to get something with O-gun. We would be VERY lucky to get this trade. THere is NO WAY they would go just for the rights to O-gun, and a LATE first rounder.

If we had this deal we'd be fools to pass it up. This is a VERY talented draft.

Next, correct me if I'm wrong, but if we cut his bonus down, and offer him more in terms of his salary, he has less guranteed. THEY would have to pick up his higher salary, which really isn't that bad. Once again, I could be wrong.

You can't cut his bonus down because it's already been paid too him, that's why you can't convert bonus money into salary unless the bonus has yet to be paid (ala Zach's part of restructuring this year).

Originally posted by SMadison29

You can't cut his bonus down because it's already been paid too him, that's why you can't convert bonus money into salary unless the bonus has yet to be paid (ala Zach's part of restructuring this year).

alright, thanks for clearing that up.

But how does that change anything from the beginning of this off season? The word was he was getting cut, or had to restructure right? So if we were prepared to cut him and take that hit, it should be the same hit if we trade him right?

Originally posted by Graythreat

alright, thanks for clearing that up.

But how does that change anything from the beginning of this off season? The word was he was getting cut, or had to restructure right? So if we were prepared to cut him and take that hit, it should be the same hit if we trade him right?

Correct.

But I doubt we'll cut or trade him. He'll restructure like he said.

These were my fears exactly.....SD sees Rivers and feels it's a smart move to trade down, get extra picks and still have the franchise QB. BUT......I think the coach in SD would be flipping burgers if he p!ssed away the chance to pick up a QB who is fully expected to be better than his big brother.

I just dont think they will trade down.

Better scenario would be for us to get a higher #1 for O-gun and just use the higher pick to "reach" for Rivers, ensuring we get him. Of course this depends on if we get lucky enough to get a higher #1 for Ogun.

Regardless, I think Losman would be available at the #20 spot if Rivers is gone...and he could also be a franchise QB w/ a Brunnel to watch for a few years.

Man....do I want Rivers in aqua.

Originally posted by chambers84
Trade with Arizona then. They need a DE and a CB, and could easily trade down.

OK...I'm learning on the fly here....never been too knowledgeable on doing trades and such....but I think I'm with it so far in this thread.

Suppose we DO do this trade you're talking about with Arizona, this would give us the #3 overall pick. Now...would it, in this situation, if the goal is Rivers, be better to trade down a few times and garner some 2nd/3rd round picks? Or do you go ahead and take the overall talent at #3?

Originally posted by chambers84
Trade with Arizona then. They need a DE and a CB, and could easily trade down.

They also need a QB. SD is on the fence with Breese, They used a #1 on Leaf, and took Breese high last year as well. He has yet to prove hes a total bust.

Arizona has a young offense with huge potential, they need the QB and won't trade down, SD however, might be gunshy from Breese, they need a lot more than JUST a QB, which is all they'll get taking Manning high. But getting the defensive players might make them brave enough to take QB low (rivers).

Back
Top Bottom