Eli just got cheaper, and it's a risk to stay put | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eli just got cheaper, and it's a risk to stay put

Originally posted by Cranx

"All in" as in you're wanting to GIVE AWAY an actual first round pick, a Pro Bowl DB who's still one of the better players in the league at a position where quality is at a premium, and another player who's either going to return to Miami to maintain the most talented pass rushing tandem or get signed to another team for a 1st AND 3rd round picks. There was also talk of another conditional 3rd rounder that could turn into a first!?!?!? Essentially this would break down like this if everything went as proposed: THREE first round picks (assuming the conditional and Wally getting signed elsewhere), one third round pick, on top notch CB, and the loss of one of the best pass rushers in the game in exchange for a ROOKIE QB who may or may not turn into anything that's worth a pile of crap. Again, this is a stupid proposal. Deal with it.

BTW, you never did explain how Manning's price has magically dropped. I believe this notion to be a figment of your imagination but if you have something (facts or respected media reports, not your speculation and conjecture as those hold absolutely zero weight in this matter) to substantiate your claim, please, present it here so the title of this thread makes at least a tiny bit of sense.

Cranx, you obviously need to re-read his original post...and it should be self explanatory anyway if you have any common sense...

Quote of Graystreet:
Think of this...San Diego is a 50/50 chance to take a QB with the top pick. Word on the street is, they might trade down. IF Rivers impressed them, it would be VERY much in their best interest to trade down, and nab him later. They need a lot more on that team than a QB, starting wtih Defense.

With how impressive Rivers looked SD might try and snag him later in the draft and give up their #1 so they can take care of their DIRE needs and still hit their franchise QB, what Graystreet here is saying is that SD is MUCH more likely to trade their #1 because "it would be VERY much in their best interest to trade down, and nab a franchise QB later such as Rivers"

You all need to get off of Graystreets back

BTW if i didnt make myself clear Elis (In other words the #1 pick)'s price has dropped some because NOW SD is much more willing to make a trade as where before they couldnt pass a chance at hittin a franchise QB.

IMO, i think we should just cool our jets and not do anything but take care of cap and deals. The chatter will come from other teams and we will know more later. now is pure specultion.

Originally posted by Phinfan31

Cranx, you obviously need to re-read his original post...and it should be self explanatory anyway if you have any common sense...

Quote of Graystreet:
Think of this...San Diego is a 50/50 chance to take a QB with the top pick. Word on the street is, they might trade down. IF Rivers impressed them, it would be VERY much in their best interest to trade down, and nab him later. They need a lot more on that team than a QB, starting wtih Defense.

With how impressive Rivers looked SD might try and snag him later in the draft and give up their #1 so they can take care of their DIRE needs and still hit their franchise QB, what Graystreet here is saying is that SD is MUCH more likely to trade their #1 because "it would be VERY much in their best interest to trade down, and nab a franchise QB later such as Rivers"

Besides the fact that all the speculation above is just that, speculation, it was a bad idea. 50/50 is an incredibly psychic number and any "word on the street" at this point in the draft is as good as garbage. I don't think anyone misunderstood what he meant in his initial post. :huh:

Everybody has got their panties in a bunch over Rivers right now but the fact remains that all this will change at the Combine. For all we know Pickett may rise to the #2 spot :rolleyes: , wierder things have happened. :lol:

Relax phinfan, no one is on Greystreets back, he presented an idea that most didn't agree with. That's what happens on a forum, the exchanging of ideas, some are just more passionate about it than others..... :argue:

Interesting thread and speculation. My $0.02:

1) Because SD is interested in trading down, that does not necessarily lower the cost for them to actually trade down. So, I don't think the fact that they (might) want to trade down makes the first pick in the draft any cheaper...it simply makes it available.

2) I expect SD to draft a QB with this pick. I think they are disenchanted with Brees. The question will be who do they pick: Manning has been called 'the closest thing to a sure thing' by many beat writers and 'experts' due to his talent and pedigree. Before that, Roth....somthing or other (can't spell, no coffee yet) has been considered likely to go in advance of Manning.

Yes, they could trade down and hope to get Rivers, but if they didn't succeed...that would be a very bad thing.

3) I think the biggest issue with speculating at this point is what don't know what successes and/or failures have come via free agency. If we are to draft a QB in the first, we will almost certainly have to have signed a Vet QB (Brunell, Warner, etc) to run the team next year. Remember, while a lot of people have expressed confusion at the dolphins front office org chart...one person, WH, has indicated he wants to win NOW - and we know where is position is: at the top.

But its an intriguing speculation because to trade the RIGHTS to Ogun (assuming there is nothing in his contract preventing that) we'd have to pull the trigger at the start of FA. I don't like the idea of giving him away, it increases the chances he'll go to a team with multiple round one picks...like the Pats.

Graystreets idea may at first seem crazy...but, hindsight is 20/20. Should Eli be the next Marino (or better) then the idea would be great.

Having said that, probably not a smart idea to sell the farm just yet...lets wait and see where things go. The sad fact is that we have more needs then a QB. Most folks would hate to hear this, but we COULD win it all w/ dumbo, provided we had a rock solid O-line, great receivers and sterling coaching.

I just want Rivers........

Originally posted by Graythreat
Eli just got cheaper....

Their in the market for a top-tier DE. We can't trade O-gun, as he's not signed, but we CAN trade the RIGHTS to O-gun to them. They'll have the right to match any offer that another team proposes to O-gun. THis will ensure them either a great DE< or a first and third pick for O-gun.

I realize we are just having fun with different trade scenarios but trading the rights of a RFA is not the same as a rookie.

A RFA has to be tendered a qualifying offer and agree to trade his rights of first refusal and sign a waiver.

Appendix F of the CBA

WAIVER OF FREE AGENT RIGHTS

I, the undersigned, hereby state that I have agreed to a Right of First Refusal at the end of my NFL Player Contract, as set forth in the documents attached to this waiver. I understand that, in so doing, I am giving up rights I have to be completely free to sign with other teams at the end of my contract. I also understand that no NFL team is permitted to force me to renounce these rights, which are rights that I have under the NFLPA/NFL collective bargaining agreement and the settlement of the Reggie White class action suit against the NFL. In exchange for renouncing these rights, I understand that I will receive the following additional compensation, if any, from my team:

By:______________________________

WITNESSED BY:

Originally posted by Pigskin Pimp

Everybody has got their panties in a bunch over Rivers right now but the fact remains that all this will change at the Combine. For all we know Pickett may rise to the #2 spot :rolleyes: , wierder things have happened. :lol:

Too true. It happens every year. Players looked upon at the end of college season as sure fire top 10's plummet (JJJ, Randy Moss)while others not on the radar screen rise to top 5 picks (Edgerrin James). These players' forcasted draft positions are as volitile as internet stocks.

Originally posted by Phinfan31

Quote of Graystreet:

Actually, any notion of the Chargers taking Rivers is completely and 100% made up; there has been no such talk of that anywhere that I've heard or read. I live in SoCal, listen to San Diego sport's talk radio all the time (1090), and read a lot of the local info on the Chargers and, while there has been much talk about them trading down, there's been ZERO talk of them grabbing Rivers. Show me a single link anywhere where the author of the article is speculating that the Chargers will trade down to grab Rivers and I'll retract; you won't be able to however as one doesn't exist.

Originally posted by Cranx

Actually, any notion of the Chargers taking Rivers is completely and 100% made up; there has been no such talk of that anywhere that I've heard or read. I live in SoCal, listen to San Diego sport's talk radio all the time (1090), and read a lot of the local info on the Chargers and, while there has been much talk about them trading down, there's been ZERO talk of them grabbing Rivers. Show me a single link anywhere where the author of the article is speculating that the Chargers will trade down to grab Rivers and I'll retract; you won't be able to however as one doesn't exist.

So your saying you need people to hold your hand when it comes to speculating? EVERYONE is speculating at this point, and my point makes sense.

fact 1. They NEED defense

2. They have the #1 pick and there are rumors that they MIGHT trade down

Think outside the box for a minute, they MIGHT jump for a QB AND their defensive players. it doesn't take a genius to see what they need and want, and this would be a way to get BOTH. Am I a sports writer? nope, are you? nope. So while you sit here and attempt to rip apart my proposed trade because some blowhard hasn't speculated the same thing in the last week I'll continue to take your rants for what they are. A personal opinion from a dolphins fan that means absolutely bupkus, yet feels he has to sit on here and attempt to tear apart a hypothesis by myself AND ASK QUESTIONS THAT I ALREADY ANSWERED.

Either you didn't read my original post, or you have huge reading comprehension problems. I feel that I stated quite clearly why manning's value has dropped, if you can't understand why I feel it has, I suggestyou attend argumentation class at your local community college. Don't worry, it should be a first year class, and will teach you how to understand what I wrote. If the fact is you just don't agree with it (i suggest you look that word up while your in class, as you obviously think your not agreeing with me some how translates into you being right) then YOU deal with it.

Next, I have a real value chart that the NFL uses. According to it, my proposition we would be getting a GREAT deal. I put a lot more stock in that, than this hypertheticall "value chart" that you made up between doing whatever it is you do (thankfuly whatever it is you do has no affect on what the dolphins do, because your value system would put us in major trouble). 3 first round picks? Look, at a REAL value chart, and you will see we are giving TWO first round picks, and alow third as the assumption should be made that we will not get a top 10 pick for O-gun. 2 low picks, and a DB who's performance has OBVIOUSLY suffered in the past 2 years for the top pick in this draft would be a phenominal trade. Call it "stupid" if you want, just realize it's your own opinion backed up by your hyperthetical value chart.

You jump to a lot of conclusions for a guy that's trying to say I am jumping to conclusions. your assuming O-gun is signed from us for a 1st and 3rd round pick. In any realm of reason, those would have to be VERY high picks for it not to be "worth it" to us to use them to trade to the number one pick in the draft. And your jumping to the conclusion that Madison is worth a first round pick.

Once again, your reasoning is flawed. Tell me, who exactly would trade a #1 pick straight up for Madison? honestly, do a little bit of reasearch, and look at the values of players before you go spouting off what is worth what.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off Subject

Dickinson,

That has to be the funniest SNL skit I've ever seen! I love it when Jimmy Fallon starts laughing!!

Cranx who do you think you are? Seriously. You try and tear everyone elses threads down piece by piece, is this what you do for fun? I actually try and get something out of these message boards, like DOLPHINS INFO. I dont come on here to tear other peoples threads down. By the way you assume that NO ONE has speculated that the Chargers will trade down and perhaps grab Rivers...thats bull****, im sure some sports writer has speculated that they might trade down and take care of their dire needs plus get their franchise QB as well. It makes perfect sense for them to do that if theyd be happy with Rivers.

And dont demand for a link, im not going to spend my time searching for some sports writers speculation on this just so i can prove you wrong, I have better things to do but it makes perfect sense and like Graystreet said EVERYTHING IS SPECULATION right now, so whos to say that those sportswriters know all?? SO what if a sports writer hasnt speculated it, you know how often those guys are wrong? Id say probably 80% of the time their speculations dont even come close to the turn outs.

I think it would be wiser for miami to find a suitor for Adawale at number 8-10 pick. That would give miami another first round pick to trade their 20th overall and 8-10 overall for a first pick. I don't even see miami making any deals out anyways. Like always, miami settles for less.

Originally posted by Graythreat

So your saying you need people to hold your hand when it comes to speculating? EVERYONE is speculating at this point, and my point makes sense.

fact 1. They NEED defense

2. They have the #1 pick and there are rumors that they MIGHT trade down

Think outside the box for a minute, they MIGHT jump for a QB AND their defensive players. it doesn't take a genius to see what they need and want, and this would be a way to get BOTH. Am I a sports writer? nope, are you? nope. So while you sit here and attempt to rip apart my proposed trade because some blowhard hasn't speculated the same thing in the last week I'll continue to take your rants for what they are. A personal opinion from a dolphins fan that means absolutely bupkus, yet feels he has to sit on here and attempt to tear apart a hypothesis by myself AND ASK QUESTIONS THAT I ALREADY ANSWERED.

Either you didn't read my original post, or you have huge reading comprehension problems. I feel that I stated quite clearly why manning's value has dropped, if you can't understand why I feel it has, I suggestyou attend argumentation class at your local community college. Don't worry, it should be a first year class, and will teach you how to understand what I wrote. If the fact is you just don't agree with it (i suggest you look that word up while your in class, as you obviously think your not agreeing with me some how translates into you being right) then YOU deal with it.

You jump to a lot of conclusions for a guy that's trying to say I am jumping to conclusions. your assuming O-gun is signed from us for a 1st and 3rd round pick. In any realm of reason, those would have to be VERY high picks for it not to be "worth it" to us to use them to trade to the number one pick in the draft. And your jumping to the conclusion that Madison is worth a first round pick.

once again, your reasoning is flawed. Tell me, who exactly would trade a #1 pick straight up for Madison? honestly, do a little bit of reasearch, and look at the values of players before you go spouting off what is worth what.

Next, I have a real value chart that the NFL uses. According to my proposition, we would be getting a GREAT deal. I put a lot more stock in that, than this hypertheticall "value chart" that you whatever it is you do. 3 first round picks? Look, at a REAL value chart, and you will see we are giving TWO first round picks, and alow third as the assumption should be made that we will not get a top 10 pick for O-gun. 2 low picks, and a DB who's performance has OBVIOUSLY suffered in the past 2 years for the top pick in this draft would be a phenominal trade. Call it "stupid" if you want, just realize it's your own opinion backed up by your hyperthetical value chart.

First off, before you bagging on someone else for their lack of insight and intelligence you should ensure that you’re able to A) spell that which you’re trying to write and B) use your words in proper context; you did neither in several instances here (BTW, the word is “hypothetical†not “hypERtheticalâ€Â...the latter word does not even exist in the English language.) Enough of that however, on to the merits (or severe lack thereof) of your post:

You state that “word on the street†is that the Chargers are thinking of trading down to grab Rivers and, based upon the sound of things, the only street where you’re hearing these “words†is the one in front of your house from the crazed out crack-whore who hangs out in front of your building. Once again, there has been ZERO speculation anywhere in the national media or upon the San Diego sports talk circuit to suggest your assertion otherwise is anything but a figment of your own imagination. While it’s fine to speculate and opine about things such as this you might want to pass these notions off as your own next time and not try to legitimize them by making it sound as though you have heard this from some reputable third party source; you only make yourself out to be a liar in the end. Again, there has been much speculation that San Diego might trade down, but there has been absolutely NO talk of them doing so in hopes of grabbing Rivers.

On to your point about your possessing an NFL value chart, I just have one thing to say: Give me a break. Each team values players totally differently and, therefore, no such standardized chart exists. I’m sure you downloaded something off the internet that might help give you some idea as to how much players are worth but- and I’m quite confident in saying this- it DID NOT come from the NFL itself.

As far as reading comprehension goes, here would be another area one might say you are the pot calling the kettle black. If your reading comprehension skills were as honed as you seem to think they are, you would realize that I never gave Madison a first round value grade. In fact, I didn’t give him a coinciding draft valuation ever, at any point within my original argument. I simply stated that he’s still one of the better players at his position in the NFL and that it would not be a good idea to lose him in some half baked, overpriced trade.

As for the three third round picks, that’s what you proposed reading comprehension boy, not me. I am assuming the first and the third round picks because, as a high tender RFA, that is what he is technically worth. This is not some vague reasoning, this is stone cold, hard fact. The RFA tender which the ‘Fins will be giving to Ogunleye WILL NET THEM FIRST AND THIRD ROUND PICKS from any team that chooses to sign him. As well, YOU proposed a third round pick that could escalate to a first based upon some sort of performance enhancements (which you failed to lay out BTW.) In other words, along with the #20 pick in this year’s draft that you proposed be offered, there are a sum total of potentially THREE first round picks and a third round pick here. I’m not sure why this is so difficult for you to understand but apparently it’s harder for YOU to get than it is for most other posters here. It’s not that hard to figure out but it is, IN FACT, what YOU proposed.

Heck, I’m arguing reading comprehension skills with you when you haven’t even shown the ability to understand the very thing that YOU wrote and proposed; they teach that kind of stuff in Jr. High bro, never mind your local community college where you probably got your AA degree in woodwork or something equally as cerebral. Next time, before you jump headlong into an argument such as this, be sure you’re prepared to defend your position in a manner that will not make you look like a total little bus rider.

P.S. One more thing: you still never made any argument as to how grabbing Manning would be any cheaper. You state that SD would be interested in trading down but why would they all of a sudden, be willing to take less for the #1 overall spot than they would have previously? You never made an argument to support your HYPOTHESIS!
:judge:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom