Evan Mathis released | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Evan Mathis released

This would be huge. Terrified of going into the season with the same crap at guard. Mathis would immediately make this a strong oline

Obviously the Dolphins will inquire but I'd be SHOCKED if they came away with him. He is going to want to get PAID and this team has a few problems on its hands:

1) The Dolphins don't have a ton of money lying around, and rolling what we do have over to next year may end up being the wisest move.

2) Dallas Thomas has photos of every coach on this team naked and doing horrible things to animals, hence why they have so much confidence in him.

Again, I can dream, but I predict he winds up elsewhere on a 2-3 year deal for higher than we expect.

Get him signed. Fins just made a large investment in Tannehill and now they need to do whatever it takes to protect that investment.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Are you guys dense?

He's 34 and wants longterm $. Were already over the cap next year, it's not going to happen.

The 33-year-old wanted a new deal that had performance-based incentives that would allow him to become the one of the top five-paid guards in the NFL, sources close to the situation said. He is currently around the 12th or 13th.

The Eagles offered such a contract last January, one that potentially would have increased his salary $1 million a year. But Mathis didn't accept the offer at the time and when his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, attempted to re-open negotiations this offseason, he was told that deal was no longer on the table, per sources.

Former general manager Howie Roseman was responsible for the initial offer. But Chip Kelly was given full control over football operations in January and Rosenhaus was told that the old offer had nothing to do with the new regime.

Details of the Sept. offer were reported on Tuesday and likely weren't looked upon favorably by Kelly and the Eagles. Two days later, Mathis is out and a free agent looking for a new team. Rosenhaus had permission to seek a trade that last two offseasons, but Kelly said during last month during the draft that the Eagles had never received any offers.

But teams were interested, including one that engaged in talks before the draft only to change their plans after the first round, sources said.

The Eagles have been practicing with 30-year-old Allen Barbre at Mathis' left guard spot this spring. Barbre was supposed to replace the released Todd Herremans at right guard. Matt Tobin, Andrew Gardner and Dennis Kelly have been rotating at right guard.

The Eagles likely balked at reworking Mathis' deal because of his age (he'll be 34 in November). He also missed seven games last season because of a knee sprain. But he returned for the final eight games and performed at a level that helped him earn his second straight Pro Bowl nod. Mathis didn't block perhaps as well as he had in his previous three seasons with the Eagles, though.

But he always been one of the more physically gifted players on the roster. Mathis signed a five-year, $25.5 million contract in March, 2012. He was slated to earn $5.5 million this season and $6 million next season. It remains to be seen if he'll get anywhere near those numbers on the open market, although teams like the Dolphins are in need of interior line help.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/307037271.html#eS3XoZDfa81j7Yyp.99

That said I would imagine the Eagles tried shopping him around at the $5.5 million price tag and found no takers so it may be a lesser market than expected if that is the case. Last year the Patriots were able to pawn off Logan Mankins and a $6.25 million salary to the Buccaneers, but may not have had any other takers besides Tampa, who was desperate for a lineman. The Eagles may have had better luck in the preseason to move him, but it would have been a messy situation to wait that long on a hope someone would bite when nobody had thus far.

Most teams in the NFL should be able to afford Mathis to play for them. Since he is closer to the end of his career, he would likely do a short term deal and teams could extend bonus prorations out over five years by using void provisions. I would guess if you have $2 million in cap room you can make the deal work. The only teams in the NFL that would really be hard pressed to make a move would be the Saints and Chiefs.
http://overthecap.com/eagles-release-evan-mathis/

Are you guys dense?

He's 34 and wants longterm $. Were already over the cap next year, it's not going to happen.

Seriously? Nobody would even sent them a late rounder for the 2/12 or whatever left on his deal. What he wants and what he gets are two very different things. Plus a handful of easy outs next year contractually to give us breathing room, plus the rollover.

I don't think they will make a run at him. If they were interested, they would have tried to trade a late pick for him, IMO.

this is a guy who was on big money (too big for us) and turned down a pay rise because he wanted more!

...but Mathis isn't a first round pick, so how would he help us?

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
There will be ample interest in Evan Mathis. His price-point will scare some teams off if it gets to high. MIA, NE, SEA all make sense

Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm
"Evan Mathis is the greatest guard ever."
--my Twitter feed, basically
(but not worth a 7th-rd pick?)

Dan Graziano ‏@DanGrazianoESPN
Because so many are asking: Yes, I think Giants will/should inquire on Evan Mathis. But my guess is others will offer more.

By the way, the Denver Broncos boards and fans are saying the exact same things that we're all saying over here. LOL! Except it's more like, "make it happen, Elway!" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom