Evan Mathis released | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Evan Mathis released

Hasn't he been holding out for like the past 3 years wanting a contract? Apparently until recently he had a payrise offer on the table but turned it down because he wanted more than 6.5

Good player, dangerous age, poisonous contract. Pass.

He's wanted a new deal the past 2 seasons. It came out around the time of last year's offseason meetings in March that he was on the trade market. It was thought that he would hold out of OTAs/mini-camps last offseason but he showed up. It later came out, I don't recall exactly when, that it wasn't a matter of the Eagles actively shopping him themselves but them giving his agent permission to find a deal. Rosenhaus never did. I don't know if no team offered anything or the Eagles had said beforehand don't bother presenting anything to us unless we get x minimum. So he was with the team last year and he ended up missing 7 games due to injury. Apparently, in September of last year, our previous GM(Howie Roseman) offered Mathis and Rosenhaus a slightly re-worked deal that would have allowed him to make up to $1M more per year compared to his current contract through a combination of a small raise and incentives(Pro Bowl, All-Pro, etcetera). Mathis and his agent declined. This offseason Mathis has continued to want a raise and then held out of OTAs. Now a year older and coming off a year where he missed almost half the season, he all of a sudden decides he wants to take the deal that the Eagles offered him last year and is/was pissed when the Eagles/Kelly told him that that deal was offered before Kelly had personnel control and is off the table. The Eagles had to make a decision now. The mandatory mini-camp was coming up and Mathis would likely report to that to avoid being fined. Mathis could get hurt at the Eagles facility(or have a minor injury that he his agent embellished) and the Eagles would be on the hook for his entire salary even if they decided down the road that the well had already been poisoned and having Mathis back would be bad for team chemistry and wanted to release him.

I think that there is a low probability that Miami signs Mathis. If our coaches are not panicking with the OGs assembled, then we will sit pat. Lots of other teams, including Denver and the NY Giants have big holes to fill on the O-line. If it degenerates into a bidding war for a 34 year old seeking large guaranteed money, I expect that we will walk.
However, if the feedback from Philbin, Lazor and the O-line coach to Tannenbaum and Hickey is that we are too thin (and despite the encouraging words, they are not comfortable with Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner, Jamil Douglas and co), then we may enter the race for Mathis. However, be warned, this is fraught with the risk of seriously overpaying.

I have a feeling this will turn out bad, just like with La'el Collins. Someone is gonna get to him before us. :rolleyes2:

Imagine if we had landed Collins and pursued and signed Mathis. That's would be a top 5 line. A super bowl caliber line.

But I digress...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing that worries me is that so many teams will be wanting his services and are just as good (if not better) fits than us

I honestly don't think we will sign him

If he wants top 5 guard money what does that equal out to on a yearly basis?

image.jpg

Eagles beat writer, take it for what's it worth but makes too much sense and we got cap room for it not to happen. My guess is he's a fin by weeks end

We can hope! Sounds like he put himself into a bad spot though. He's not gonna get $5 million a year from anyone. Maybe we can grab him for like 2.5 million. I like douglas and Turners chances though. I think Douglas being in between Albert and Pouncey would be just fine except against the obvious stars. Turner hopefully learned a lot last year because there's a lot riding on him playing well this year. With that in mind we'd be dumb not to bring in a veteran like Mathis if we can get him for less than 4/year. Do we really want another 2013? I don't know about you guys but I can't handle watching our games when our line just gets manhandled all game long. It's painful to watch!

It makes sense on a lot of levels....

*Dolphins have a dire need for guard
*Drew Rosenhaus is his agent. He is based in Miami and has a strong relationship with the Dolphins
*He was on the Dolphins practice squad before, is familiar with the area
*He is familiar with Lazor from Philadelphia and has been playing in a similar system

If the Dolphins can get the money right, I'm confident they can land him.

No way can i see 2.5 mil annually doing it...if that was the case miami should be all in...i think you are talking about around 6 mil per here especially if you are gonna get him on a short 2 year deal which imo would be ideal...although i think even that would cost you 8 mil guaranteed over those terms...

If he gets 4 and 25 from someone it wouldnt shock me with 11 or 12 guaranteed...depends on what teams think the shelf life is...if you can get a 2 year out a 4 year pact isnt the worst idea...

That 34 next to his age doesnt help you feel great about getting many more years out of him though

I'm told OG Evan Mathis and his agent @RosenhausSports are planning UFA visits but wish to keep the process under wraps for now.@ArmandoSalguero @RosenhausSports

No way can i see 2.5 mil annually doing it...if that was the case miami should be all in...

That 34 next to his age doesnt help you feel great about getting many more years out of him though

Some team may pay up dont see it being Miami though. If we wanted him we could have made it work earlier think he is out of our price range.

Just a feeling on my part, but I have the feeling they are willing to over pay for him. At this point I can't fault them for that. LG is such a need.

Back
Top Bottom