Every Ryan Tannehill throw Preseason Week 2 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Every Ryan Tannehill throw Preseason Week 2

Probably been posted multiple times, but Tunsil looked great in those clips. Really happy with his PassPro, considering he is still brand new to the league. Dallas Thomas was not terrible either. He had a vicious pancake, but he still is not near the level of Tunsil.

There was one pass play Tunsil is helping on a double team, but checking over to tackle to see if he needs help, liked seeing that. I saw that Thomas pancake, I pity the poor SOB on the other end of it, good stuff

The really sad thing is that finding an OG shouldn't be so terribly hard. Connor McGovern will be a quality starting OG by 2017, if not sooner, and Denver grabbed him in the 5th RD. At this point, it looks like the RD 1 and 2 picks will have to address DE and LB, so OG will have to be addressed in FA or the 3rd or 4th RD.

Interesting, What about the other Guards that were taken? What about the previous years since in your opinion it should be so hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping for 19 weeks of the oranges trying to explain why we didn't just see a good performance by Tannehill. I have never seen a group of "fans" so intent on rooting against the starting QB.

Its really sad...you got people trying to say the qb stares down recievers and doesnt go thru progressions with no concept of pre snap reads dictating progressions and when the qb gets to his 3rd read even

And if its not that its adam gase has "rescued" the qb

And on and on it goes

The one thing i will say about gase is i think those footwork drills for pocket stuff that hes running are making an impact on the qb...

Ball placement no different than it has always been...guys still dropping the rock but if they are gonna drop it get it out of the system now before we play games that matter

That qb is the best player on this offense bar none

Of course all QB's have bad games, but the good QBs are great in most of their games. I am not one of those who ties W's and L's to QBs. As long as the O can score 24 points a game, then Tanny did his job. Unless we are down 4 and need a TD with 3 mins to go in the game and he fails then that counts as "He can't put the team on his back"

If you look at the great ones. They will have 2 or maybe 3 average games out of 16 each season.

Well that sure eliminates Luck!

Hey, the proof is in the tape and from what I saw Tanny looked pretty fricken good. That pass to Stills for the 2nd touchdown was gorgeous. Anyone who thinks that Tanny isn't progressing didn't watch the tape Give Tanny a consistently clean pocket and look out AFC East.

Until my dying day I will maintain that Tannehill is a very good qb who year after year has tried to make the best of a ****ty situation in Miami.

He threw 4-5 good td passes last night and the receivers/te only bothered to catch two of them. On the plus side, in pass pro Tunsil looks damn good at LG. Tho we will be resetting yet again next year when Tunsil moves to LT :bobdole:

No need for the hand over the face, dude (in your emoticon). If that's the kind of pass pro we get from Tunsil (when he eventually moves to) LT, we'll be in pretty good shape for quite a long time.

Well that sure eliminates Luck!

And Newton, and Wilson and Matt Ryan and Flacco, and just about everyone else.

Last season, Cam Newton had 7 out of 16 games in the regular season with a QB rating below 80. I'm not sure if some of the posters actually watch any football at all.

And Newton, and Wilson and Matt Ryan and Flacco, and just about everyone else.

Last season, Cam Newton had 7 out of 16 games in the regular season with a QB rating below 80. I'm not sure if some of the posters actually watch any football at all.

The problem is... some people think the QBs are the ones to make a team look good, when in reality it is the other way around a stark majority of the time. What is Cam Newton without that run game and top 5 defense? Wilson and his run game and defense? Hell, even the all time great QBs who have flourished had solid protection. I don't understand what makes that so hard to comprehend...

Digital's Analysis.

I hesitate to make this analysis since I am pro-Tannehill and this makes me look like too much of an optimist ... but here is my honest analysis of Tannehill's Dallas pre-season game, all 20 passing plays + 1 run (I am never in favor of called runs for the QB). Some were called back because of penalties, but these are all the throws on the OP's initial video.

1. Good throw. Behind scrimmage to Cameron. Puts the ball where the defenders cannot get it. A little high, but avoids the danger of a slower lofted throw.

2. TD throw - Stills runs out of bounds. Excellent throw. Play action roll-out to Stills. Perfect depth and away from the safety, hits Stills in stride. Ideally it's slightly more in-bounds, but Stills should have kept it in-bounds and scored.

3. Good throw. Landry short over the middle. Tannehill knows his receivers like the ball in their faces for a double-hands catch, and that's where he puts it. Slightly safer to put it in their gut and make them catch it lower where any muffed catch is an incompletion.

4. Bad decision. Deflected pass over the middle ends up complete to Landry. I like the time Tannehill has and his progressions. Poor decision to rifle the ball into tight coverage, and risky choice to throw to his receiver's face .... as evidenced by the deflection that could easily have been an INT.

5. TD throw - Cameron dropped. Perfect throw. Cameron quick slant into end zone. Cameron drops a perfect throw for an easy TD. Tannehill nailed it and Cameron has no excuse for not scoring the TD.

6. TD throw - Landry dropped. Perfect throw. Back shoulder throw to Landry in front corner of end zone. Not the easiest catch, but this is a TD for Aaron Rodgers 9 times out of 10. Perfect throw from Tannehill. Landry needs to make that catch, no excuse for not scoring the TD.

7. TD throw - DPI. Good throw. Back of the end zone to Stills. With the ball around the 7 yard line it appears Stills gets held up 16 yards past scrimmage in the back of the end zone. DPI happened and could have been called. Tannehill hit perfectly where Stills would have been without the DPI.

8. OK throw. Behind scrimmage throw to Landry. More practice is needed. Landry passively stands waiting for the pass, while Tannehill correctly leads him into space. While the pass looks right ... I'm calling this one chemistry because it is unclear how the coaches want this thrown.

9. Good throw. Short left to Landry. Landry doesn't come back to the football and the defender forces the non-catch. Incomplete, but really, Landry should attack the football and doesn't. Tough play, and if these are the type of incompletions we get, its OK.

10. OK throw. Left sideline to Landry. Tannehill stands in the pocket and makes a decent but not great throw just before getting drilled by a defender. Not a great throw, but it was a completion under pressure.

11. Bad throw. Batted down at the LOS attempted to hit the J-Train shallow middle. Not the first time Tannehill gets batted down ... something to watch and something for him to work on improving.

12. TD throw - TD Stills. Excellent throw. TD catch by Stills middle just in the end zone for 6 points. Simple throw and catch, but good protection leads to good progression and excellent pass. Bread and butter stuff.

13. Great throw. TE Jones short right curling in. Hit in stride for a simple pitch and catch. Moves the chains. Protection = production with Tannehill.

14. Great throw. WR screen behind the LOS to DeVante Parker. Easy throw, but it was inch-perfect hitting DVP in traffic and in stride. Can't throw it any better.

15. Great throw. Incomplete mid out left to Landry (???). Tannehill throws it exactly where his WR can get to it but the DB cannot. In the end it's a very hard catch and an incompletion, but the throw itself was excellent--safe and gave the WR a chance.

16. Good throw. Short for a 1st down to Landry. Safer throw to Landry's gut ... slightly behind him, but even if Landry has to go to ground to get it, this will be a 1st down. Safe, moves the chains. Excellent route by Landry.

17. Run. Tannehill runs and slides short of the 1st down. I am not in favor of a QB running. Therefore, I am not calling this "good" because he shouldn't be taking the risk IMHO. But, he slid at the right time and avoided a collision. (/soapbox STOP RUNNING! /endsoapbox).

18. Good throw. I. Pead long right sideline. OK, I wrote "I. Pead" to elicit a chuckle. Touch throw to a wide open RB. DVP needs to direct his guy one way or the other, and Pead had a chance to score.

19. TD throw - DVP dropped. Perfect throw. DVP just in end zone middle. Dropped TD that was delivered perfectly. Gotta catch those. If you are a contested catch WR ... that's where you eat.

20. TD throw - Landry dropped. Perfect throw. Landry fade back corner of end zone. Best play of the night for me. Tannehill gets great protection (again!), goes through his progressions, shuffles to buy more time, eventually sees Landry in the back corner. Tannehill glides back to buy more time from onrushing defender, lofts a perfect throw Landry in the back corner of the end zone Landry leaps to the ball ... and it floats through Landry's hands and bounces off his chest. Ummmmm .... not Landry's best moment.

21. TD throw - TD Stills. Perfect throw. Tannehill (with time again!!!!!) drops an inch-perfect toss just past the DB into Stills in the back of the end zone for 6 points. Beautiful route, pass and catch. THIS is how it's done.

It's preseason and it's only the Dallas defense. But, our OL gave Tannehill time, and with time Tannehill was extremely productive. He stood fast in the face of heavy hits. He whistled the ball into tight windows. He accurately delivered long throws. He spotted and delivered in the red zone. There definitely were some chemistry moments where it's clear the QB and WR need more practice time together. Obviously, our receivers need to catch the damn ball a LOT better. If Tannehill keeps up this level of performance, we can have a very good offense. But, as always, the X-Factor is the OL.

Tunsil looked impressive, even if it was only Dallas. Steen, Bushrod and Urbik all looked good when given chances. This was not much of a test, but our OL performed well. Let's hope the OL can build on this.

Just re-watched all of his throws. I have to laugh, maniacally, because we were told in the game thread that the throw to Stills that went for 55 was a throw Stills had to adjust to b/c it wasn't thrown as well as it could have been. I had seen the play live and didn't think much of it at the time. But I have to say that's the biggest crock of **** assessment of a play as I've ever heard.

So because Stills didn't stay in bounds and score the TD, which he should have, it's on Tannehill. Because Cameron couldn't make a TD catch that would've tied the game, Tannehill doesn't get credit for leading a scoring drive.

Another narrative on this site is that there's always at least one player who fails and that couldn't be more correct. Hell Landry dropped 2 TDs which just never happens.

It was a good throw and catch. Neither player deserves blame.

Digital's Analysis.

I hesitate to make this analysis since I am pro-Tannehill and this makes me look like too much of an optimist ... but here is my honest analysis of Tannehill's Dallas pre-season game, all 20 passing plays + 1 run (I am never in favor of called runs for the QB). Some were called back because of penalties, but these are all the throws on the OP's initial video.

1. Good throw. Behind scrimmage to Cameron. Puts the ball where the defenders cannot get it. A little high, but avoids the danger of a slower lofted throw.

2. TD throw - Stills runs out of bounds. Excellent throw. Play action roll-out to Stills. Perfect depth and away from the safety, hits Stills in stride. Ideally it's slightly more in-bounds, but Stills should have kept it in-bounds and scored.

3. Good throw. Landry short over the middle. Tannehill knows his receivers like the ball in their faces for a double-hands catch, and that's where he puts it. Slightly safer to put it in their gut and make them catch it lower where any muffed catch is an incompletion.

4. Bad decision. Deflected pass over the middle ends up complete to Landry. I like the time Tannehill has and his progressions. Poor decision to rifle the ball into tight coverage, and risky choice to throw to his receiver's face .... as evidenced by the deflection that could easily have been an INT.

5. TD throw - Cameron dropped. Perfect throw. Cameron quick slant into end zone. Cameron drops a perfect throw for an easy TD. Tannehill nailed it and Cameron has no excuse for not scoring the TD.

6. TD throw - Landry dropped. Perfect throw. Back shoulder throw to Landry in front corner of end zone. Not the easiest catch, but this is a TD for Aaron Rodgers 9 times out of 10. Perfect throw from Tannehill. Landry needs to make that catch, no excuse for not scoring the TD.

7. TD throw - DPI. Good throw. Back of the end zone to Stills. With the ball around the 7 yard line it appears Stills gets held up 16 yards past scrimmage in the back of the end zone. DPI happened and could have been called. Tannehill hit perfectly where Stills would have been without the DPI.

8. OK throw. Behind scrimmage throw to Landry. More practice is needed. Landry passively stands waiting for the pass, while Tannehill correctly leads him into space. While the pass looks right ... I'm calling this one chemistry because it is unclear how the coaches want this thrown.

9. Good throw. Short left to Landry. Landry doesn't come back to the football and the defender forces the non-catch. Incomplete, but really, Landry should attack the football and doesn't. Tough play, and if these are the type of incompletions we get, its OK.

10. OK throw. Left sideline to Landry. Tannehill stands in the pocket and makes a decent but not great throw just before getting drilled by a defender. Not a great throw, but it was a completion under pressure.

11. Bad throw. Batted down at the LOS attempted to hit the J-Train shallow middle. Not the first time Tannehill gets batted down ... something to watch and something for him to work on improving.

12. TD throw - TD Stills. Excellent throw. TD catch by Stills middle just in the end zone for 6 points. Simple throw and catch, but good protection leads to good progression and excellent pass. Bread and butter stuff.

13. Great throw. TE Jones short right curling in. Hit in stride for a simple pitch and catch. Moves the chains. Protection = production with Tannehill.

14. Great throw. WR screen behind the LOS to DeVante Parker. Easy throw, but it was inch-perfect hitting DVP in traffic and in stride. Can't throw it any better.

15. Great throw. Incomplete mid out left to Landry (???). Tannehill throws it exactly where his WR can get to it but the DB cannot. In the end it's a very hard catch and an incompletion, but the throw itself was excellent--safe and gave the WR a chance.

16. Good throw. Short for a 1st down to Landry. Safer throw to Landry's gut ... slightly behind him, but even if Landry has to go to ground to get it, this will be a 1st down. Safe, moves the chains. Excellent route by Landry.

17. Run. Tannehill runs and slides short of the 1st down. I am not in favor of a QB running. Therefore, I am not calling this "good" because he shouldn't be taking the risk IMHO. But, he slid at the right time and avoided a collision. (/soapbox STOP RUNNING! /endsoapbox).

18. Good throw. I. Pead long right sideline. OK, I wrote "I. Pead" to elicit a chuckle. Touch throw to a wide open RB. DVP needs to direct his guy one way or the other, and Pead had a chance to score.

19. TD throw - DVP dropped. Perfect throw. DVP just in end zone middle. Dropped TD that was delivered perfectly. Gotta catch those. If you are a contested catch WR ... that's where you eat.

20. TD throw - Landry dropped. Perfect throw. Landry fade back corner of end zone. Best play of the night for me. Tannehill gets great protection (again!), goes through his progressions, shuffles to buy more time, eventually sees Landry in the back corner. Tannehill glides back to buy more time from onrushing defender, lofts a perfect throw Landry in the back corner of the end zone Landry leaps to the ball ... and it floats through Landry's hands and bounces off his chest. Ummmmm .... not Landry's best moment.

21. TD throw - TD Stills. Perfect throw. Tannehill (with time again!!!!!) drops an inch-perfect toss just past the DB into Stills in the back of the end zone for 6 points. Beautiful route, pass and catch. THIS is how it's done.

It's preseason and it's only the Dallas defense. But, our OL gave Tannehill time, and with time Tannehill was extremely productive. He stood fast in the face of heavy hits. He whistled the ball into tight windows. He accurately delivered long throws. He spotted and delivered in the red zone. There definitely were some chemistry moments where it's clear the QB and WR need more practice time together. Obviously, our receivers need to catch the damn ball a LOT better. If Tannehill keeps up this level of performance, we can have a very good offense. But, as always, the X-Factor is the OL.

Tunsil looked impressive, even if it was only Dallas. Steen, Bushrod and Urbik all looked good when given chances. This was not much of a test, but our OL performed well. Let's hope the OL can build on this.

Good write-up. I saw pretty much what you did when I watched the replay. You can definitely see the drills in training camp starting to show improvement in RT's game already. Hopefully they continue to improve and they can help hide some of the defensive holes.

Digital's Analysis. . . . our OL gave Tannehill time, and with time Tannehill was extremely productive.
The bad news is ANY NFL QB should be good when given time. The question is, HOW good? The good news is, against Dallas, the anti-Tannehill crowd has almost nothing to cite as evidence, except reverting to previous years when Gase wasn't here and the OL sucked. FWIW, I watched a few games the last few days. ALL QBs made bad reads/throws. ALL QBs 'didn't see' open receivers. ALL QBs stared down an occasional receiver. How will Tannehill do THIS year? I don't know, but without a baseline, I can make Brady look VERY bad.

Back
Top Bottom