Everyone is fawning over Deuce McAllister after our game with him...(merged) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Everyone is fawning over Deuce McAllister after our game with him...(merged)

Originally posted by inFINSible
hey 47....if they don't like you there....come here more often....I always enjoy your posts......even to the point that when I see you have posted, it's usually the first one I read.

why, thank you! :D

As I said before, this year I do have great interest in how the Dolphins do. The Dolphins have been my second favorite team for a long time. I do have some ties to Miami; every year after the Saints had no chance to go anywhere , I turned to the Dolphins because I wanted to see Marino win the SB; I am also a fan of Norv Turner, since I live in DC, and still think he got a raw deal not only from "The Danny", but from The Esquire as well ( Jack Kent Cooke); and obviously I am interested to see how RW does, since I also think he got a raw deal in N.O. and I want to see if he truly can be a dominant RB.

As far as the Saints go, they are my team, I root for them, but like I said before, I am not a homer and I do not think Randy Mueller walks on water, and blame Jim Haslett, not the "Ditka players", for the meltdown last year, for a myrad of reasons. Still, every Sunday I root for the Saints and I cheer and hope they score 70 points to zero, hope for playoff berth,division championship, NFC championship, and SB, just like any other fan of any other NFL team.
Unfortunately, objectivity is something not appreciated in the Deep South :D

Never even thought of that...if Deuce is such a "better fit" for that offense in New Orleans, why didn't they try to trade Ricky Williams last year when they drafted Deuce? I mean thats when everyone thought he was going to be traded and thats when the Miami coaches made a quick phone call over to them and said "Hey, are either Deuce or Ricky up for sale? We're buyin..." and then Haslett said no.

I mean, up to that point you couldn't necessarily call Ricky a BUST but he wouldn't be considered a top back in the league either cuz of the injuries...but he'd have shown enough flashes to be flaunted like a Fred Taylor type who runs for at least 100 yards everytime you put him on the field but might take an injury or two. Still he'd probably garner a first round pick...not a 1st and 2nd like we're giving but still getting rid of him would let the all-pro Deuce McAllister take reigns of the offense with his superb uncoverable catching ability, his refusal to fumble unlike Williams, his being LESS injury prone than William (laugh laugh laugh) etc...

Straw poll these people and I bet ya very few would say that the Saints would have done worst had Deuce been their tailback all year...and yet, Haslett can do no wrong.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Ricky's first 3 year numbers. 38 games. 814 rushes for 3129 yards for a 3.8 avg and 16 TD's. 132 receptions for 1092 yards for an 8.3 avg and 2 TD's.

Marshall Faulks first 3 year numbers. 45 games. 801 rushes for 2947 yards and a 3.7 avg and 29Td's. 164 receptions for 1425 yards for an 8.7 avg and 4 TD's.

Curtis Martin first 3 year numbers. 45 games. 958 rushes for 3799 yards and a 4.0 avg and 32 TD's. 117 receptions for 890 yards and a 7.6 avg and 5 TD's.

Notice one thing here, RW is a good back, Faulk and Martin are great backs. Reason = TD's. RW is not a big play maker.

Uh.. Ok, I'm gone for a day and the thread doubles in size...

VanDolPhan, I have not skipped over anything when someone brings up a "good point". When someone else replies to something when I was going to say the exact same thing, then why should I make that same reply?

Now I don't know about the last so many posts on this thread, because I haven't had a chance to read them all yet, so I may end up saying what someone already said.

You can compare Ricky's stats to Marshall and Curtis, but the fact remains that Ricky played on a very good offense the last two seasons and still did not post incredible numbers. He did in 2000 before he got injured, but last season was terrible. You can say that he put up close to 1800 total yards, but he is useless in the passing game. The Saints just had lack of targets so they had to use Ricky. Deuce was not used because Ricky's contract requires him to get most of the touches, plus Deuce had to still learn the system earlier in the season as he had a week holdout in training camp before they got him signed.

And even then, It's not the numbers I've been trying to point out, it's the style of running. Ricky can not turn the corner, he's just too slow. He has power, but he is no Jerome Bettis. Ricky goes down too easy. You have seen it for yourself. Norman Hand took him down with one hand, without even grabbing his jersey.

Ckparrothead, your first team offense also went up against several undrafted players. Sammy Knight is one of them.

Why do we say he missed 11 games in 2 seasons? Easy answer. You people keep saying that he has slimmed down so he's faster than last year when he weighed what? 250 pounds? Well guess what, in 1999 and 2000, he missed 11 games at the weight that he's at now. I'll be surprised if he plays in more than 12 games this season if he gets the same amount of carries he has in the past.

I ask a question: Why trash Deuce for his 3.8 yards per carry in a PRESEASON game when Ricky averages 2.1??? As a matter of fact, unless I am mistaken, Ricky Williams has NEVER had what you would call a "good" game in the preseason. Deuce has been more successful in preseason than Ricky ever has, or ever will be.

That said, let me continue by saying, simply...Who cares?

Some Saints fans will never admit that Ricky was an asset to our team on the football field. They'll never admit that he IS a top 5 runningback (unlike our supposed "top 5 quarterback"...LMAO). If you really want to know the mindset of the anti-RW Saints fan, check out this WDZ post by a concernced Saints fan (*wink wink*, Coach :) )

1)UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS
He's on the cover of magazines with JIM BROWN. He's the greatest college runningback in history. Our entire draft is traded away for him, and he's immediately pegged as the savior, and the missing piece. Now, this wasn't Ricky's fault, but it's a simple fact - he was the messiah. The Ricky-siah. Management sold him as a franchise player, but like Archie Manning, he was a "franchise player without a franchise."

The fans needed something to cling to, some form of hope, so we clung to Ricky Williams. And without a team around him, he couldn't handle the weight on his shoulders. He went wierd. Social anxiety disorder. Bashing the city, the team, the fans. Getting hurt (again, all freak-type injuries, not his fault). Ricky failed to meet immediate fan expectations, and when the team failed, he caught the brunt of the black and gold nation's anger. Whether he deserved it or not.

2)TEAM PLAYER?
Ricky might have worked as hard, or harder, than anyone else on the team. But in the eyes of the fans, he didn't do it WITH THE TEAM. He didn't show up for off-season conditioning. He missed meetings. He got fined repeatedly for stupid things, like not going to see the team doctors when the head coach asked him to have a sore shoulder checked out. And then the team collapsed, and the fumbles came in droves.

And Ricky looked like a quitter.

3)THE HAZ FACTOR
Haz and Ricky clashed. They were incompatible. But unlike Mooch and Owens, they couldn't make a working relationship. Ricky's missed meetings and such wore down the coach, and he saw the coming of the Deuce-iah, and grew ever-more jealous of his evil archenemy, Mike the Terrible. As long as Ricky was his runningback, Haz could never have the offense he wanted to combat Mike the Terrible with.

To gain that offense, Ricky had to go. And why not? He missed meetings. He garnered fines. He fumbled. He whined to the media. He spoke out of both sides of his mouth ("I don't want to be the franchise"..."Coach, I could have TWO HUNDRED yards right now!"). One or the other had to go. And you know who won. And Haslett, the coach, had the popular support. Because Ricky did not APPEAR to be a team player.

4)THE SUFFERING OF THE MASSES
Saints fans have suffered for 35 years. They needed a savior. Ricky was hyped to be that savior, but he wasn't. He "betrayed" the fans by not being the next Walter Payton, and he "rubbed it in" with his erratic behavior.

While Mike McCarthy is called a "rising star" among assistant coaches by both the local and national media, and the offensive line is proclaimed by the coaching staff to be the "best run-blocking unit in the NFL", Ricky Williams is struggling to maintain an average of 4 YPC. His longest run as a Saint is only 46 yards, his longest TD run a mere 26 yards. And when he runs, the fans hold their collective breath: Will he get hurt?

When the Deuce-iah comes in, with his speed and his quickness and his 50+ yard touchdown run, who do you expect will garner the popular support? Not the eccentric dreadlocked masher who's spent his tenure getting hurt, fumbling, bashing your beloved native city and its pride and joy. No. You can forgive the Deuce's eight-day holdout. That's just business. At least he never did an interview with his helmet on, or bitched to SI about how cruddy your hometown is.

5)TRUE LIES
Ricky's nabbed eight million of your ticket-bought dollars. He's bashed you, your city, your team. He's missed meetings. He's on Paxil. He's freaky. He's been hurt. He fumbles. He appears to go down too easily, bad balance and all. Right?

The truth? Yeah. But...

He's the only Saint to have back-to-back 1000 yard seasons. He can take over a game by himself. He punishes opposing defenses. On the field, he works as hard as anyone. Harder. He's smart, well-spoken, eloquent. He put your team on the map. He's statistically a top NFL runningback.

But do you see that? Not if you're a Saints fan of the general populace. Your team went to the playoffs without RW. Your team fell apart with RW. Perception is reality, and Ricky Williams isn't perceived well in New Orleans.

His fault?

It's your move, Saints fan.

Now to Deuce.

His injury problems in college were blown WAY out of proportion. Not everyone is a Ricky Williams in college.

I attended a camp practice and had seats right next to the blitz pickup drills. The LB knocked Deuce on his butt - but on the next go-round, Deuce was ticked off and got low and knocked the LB on HIS butt. He CAN do it. But no, he doesn't have the natural fullback-level ability that Ricky has.

But Deuce is a more gifted athlete and runner. He makes people miss. He's fast. He's bigger than Ricky, faster than Ricky, more agile than Ricky, a better receiver than Ricky, has better balance than Ricky. But Ricky is more powerful, a smarter football player, a more dedicated blocker. Ricky can carry a team and take over a football game. Ricky is future NFL positions-coach material. Deuce is not.

Deuce fits the current Mike MartzCarthy (kudos to Nick @ WDZ again) offense better than Ricky does - but Ricky fit the 2000 Saints power WCO, Blake at the helm much better. Ricky was on pace for 2200 total yards that year before his injury.

Bottom line: both are good runnigbacks, but they are different runningbacks. Deuce = Roger Craig, Ricky = Earl Campbell. See what I'm saying?

I'm not reading too much into Ricky gaining 2.1 YPC against a defense sporting an undersized defensive end at MLB and two former 215-pound college pass-rushers at OLB...although one DOES alternate with a 90 year-old 230-pounder. So don't read too much into Deuce gaining 3.8 YPC against a defense with better depth than most of our starting linebackers and DB's. Okay?

See you in January.

Hello Fins Fans, Greetings from the Big Easy!

1. Ricky Williams is a solid running back. His success in Miami will largely depend on the play of Jay Fiedler. The reason I say this is because most defenses will put eight men in the box to stop RW and challenge the Fins to beat them with the pass. This should give Fiedler an advantage, with C. Chambers and the rookie McMichael. If Fiedler takes advantage of this, defenses will have to respect him by dropping one or two more back in coverage, which of course gives RW more opportunities for yardage. Last year, the Saints saw eight man fronts all season, challenging Aaron Brooks to beat them. Unfortunately for Saints fans, our self-proclaimed "star" couldn't convert on third downs early in the games, and the Saints played catchup most of the season, padding Brooks' passing stats but ultimately losing games. There were plenty of times in the season last year that RW would break free past the line, only to be tackled by a corner or saftey one on one because of his lack of burst. Once Ricky gets going, he's fast, it just takes him a little longer than some other backs. Ricky served the Saints well as a bruising RB. If the Fins are in some tight games this year, and they need to run out the clock, RW is deadly in the fourth quarter. All of his 100 yd games last year came with over 20 carries. He does catch the ball fairly well out of the backfield (witht he exception of the SF game last year when he dropped the game winning TD in the endzone, remember that Coach?) You Fins fans should be happy to have RW on your team.

2. Deuce is an unproven commodity at this time. Because he only touched the ball sparingly last year, it's hard to gauge how he is going to do. Is it premature to say the Saints are better off with Deuce than Ricky? Absolutely. It's also premature to say that the Saints made a mistake by getting rid of RW. Why didn't Deuce get the ball more often last year? It's not because they were showcasing RW for a trade. That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. The Saints were in the middle of a playoff chase until the last three games. They went with RW because of experience and because they had built the offense around RW. They drafted Deuce because we lacked depth at running back bad. And it showed at the end of the 2000 season after RW went down in Week 10. The decision was made to go to a more wide open offense featuring Aaron Brooks, which made RW expendable. Personally, I would have loved to see both of them in the backfield, but, cest la vie. I do believe Deuce will have a monster season, if he can stay healthy. But the same can be said about RW. And for the last time, people, it doesn't matter what each guy did in college. Let's let the season pan out, and then discuss who got the better deal. Go Saints and good luck Dolphins!

P.S. Dan Marino was the best QB that ever played the game.

Whoever said I'm trashing Deuce for only getting 3.8 against our undrafted rookies who probably won't make the team? (by the way Brad's bringing up of Sammy Knight into this is just plain FUNNY. HEY I KNOW, why dont I start trashing the Saints defense for only getting THREE interceptions against our undrafted free agent QB!! Oh thats why, because obviously his record in the NFL has proven that he SHOULD HAVE BEEN DRAFTED and is a quality NFL starter..as with Knight...whereas little Rambo over here Justin Seaverns, will more than likely be CUT)

What I'm saying is there's no reason to use the game as a means of dubbing Deuce the "Deuc-iah" if you will. Because he did what he did against undrafted rookie free agents, and what he DID wasn't exactly to light the world on fire like Marshall Faulk.

But I like Brad's double twisting logic...like a snake almost, or a shapeshifter. He shapes logic for what suits him. Ricky has been in a GOOD OFFENSE for the past 2 years but "barely" managed to hold onto a 4.0 ypc. Yet, Ricky Williams SUCKS as a receiver, and the only reason he caught any balls is because of lack of receiving options? Gee...an offense that lacks adequate receiving options to the point where you're throwing 60 passes to a runningback who "sucks" as a receiver....doesn't exactly sound like a "good" offense does it? Sounds like, with such few receiving options, teams can pretty much get away with stacking the line of scrimmage against Ricky. Or is it that Ricky had it easy, had such a great offense around him but still only averaged 4.0 ypc, but then he garnered like 60 catches away from all these offensive weapons that form this "good" offense and yet he's still a crappy receiver?

Round and round the mulberry bush...the parrot chased the saints fan...

Well you know how the song goes :)

Originally posted by ckparrothead

But I like Brad's double twisting logic...like a snake almost, or a shapeshifter. He shapes logic for what suits him. Ricky has been in a GOOD OFFENSE for the past 2 years but "barely" managed to hold onto a 4.0 ypc. Yet, Ricky Williams SUCKS as a receiver, and the only reason he caught any balls is because of lack of receiving options? Gee...an offense that lacks adequate receiving options to the point where you're throwing 60 passes to a runningback who "sucks" as a receiver....doesn't exactly sound like a "good" offense does it? Sounds like, with such few receiving options, teams can pretty much get away with stacking the line of scrimmage against Ricky. Or is it that Ricky had it easy, had such a great offense around him but still only averaged 4.0 ypc, but then he garnered like 60 catches away from all these offensive weapons that form this "good" offense and yet he's still a crappy receiver?

The Saints did have a good offense last year. Aaron brooks threw for almost 3000 yds, Joe horn and willie jackson both had over 1000yds recieving, and ricky definitley benefitted from a solid offensive line, arguably one of the best in the league. How ever, Ricky still is not much of a reciever, and was forced into the role, becasue after joe horn and willie jackson, there was a huge dropoff in wide reciever talent last year. Ricky, in essence, became a 3rd reciever by default. Sure, he caught 60 passes, but I cannot even tell you how many he dropped. A lot of those passes were also screen passes thrown to him, because, like Brad said, he cannot turn the corner, so the coaches had to find other ways to get him outside.

Originally posted by MetrySaint
Hello Fins Fans, Greetings from the Big Easy!

1. Ricky Williams is a solid running back. His success in Miami will largely depend on the play of Jay Fiedler. The reason I say this is because most defenses will put eight men in the box to stop RW and challenge the Fins to beat them with the pass. This should give Fiedler an advantage, with C. Chambers and the rookie McMichael. If Fiedler takes advantage of this, defenses will have to respect him by dropping one or two more back in coverage, which of course gives RW more opportunities for yardage. Last year, the Saints saw eight man fronts all season, challenging Aaron Brooks to beat them. Unfortunately for Saints fans, our self-proclaimed "star" couldn't convert on third downs early in the games, and the Saints played catchup most of the season, padding Brooks' passing stats but ultimately losing games. There were plenty of times in the season last year that RW would break free past the line, only to be tackled by a corner or saftey one on one because of his lack of burst. Once Ricky gets going, he's fast, it just takes him a little longer than some other backs. Ricky served the Saints well as a bruising RB. If the Fins are in some tight games this year, and they need to run out the clock, RW is deadly in the fourth quarter. All of his 100 yd games last year came with over 20 carries. He does catch the ball fairly well out of the backfield (witht he exception of the SF game last year when he dropped the game winning TD in the endzone, remember that Coach?) You Fins fans should be happy to have RW on your team.

2. Deuce is an unproven commodity at this time. Because he only touched the ball sparingly last year, it's hard to gauge how he is going to do. Is it premature to say the Saints are better off with Deuce than Ricky? Absolutely. It's also premature to say that the Saints made a mistake by getting rid of RW. Why didn't Deuce get the ball more often last year? It's not because they were showcasing RW for a trade. That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. The Saints were in the middle of a playoff chase until the last three games. They went with RW because of experience and because they had built the offense around RW. They drafted Deuce because we lacked depth at running back bad. And it showed at the end of the 2000 season after RW went down in Week 10. The decision was made to go to a more wide open offense featuring Aaron Brooks, which made RW expendable. Personally, I would have loved to see both of them in the backfield, but, cest la vie. I do believe Deuce will have a monster season, if he can stay healthy. But the same can be said about RW. And for the last time, people, it doesn't matter what each guy did in college. Let's let the season pan out, and then discuss who got the better deal. Go Saints and good luck Dolphins!

P.S. Dan Marino was the best QB that ever played the game.

probably the most knowledgeable and definitely the classiest saints fan post i have read, thank you metry, and good luck to you guys as well!

Exactly MetrySaint. Every team knows Jay throws to many picks, and can't make big plays. Which is why Ricky MIGHT not have as good of a year as excepted. If Fiedler learns to make smart plays when he is under pressure, Ricky will be fine.

Ricky isn't better than Deuce...

Deuce isn't better than Ricky...

They're just different.

I love Ricky Williams. I am a Big Back kinda guy and will miss seeing RW level DE's and LB's downfield the most. Aaron Brooks is big on DEuce, but he miss miss RW when Derrick Brooks runs Deuce over on a blitz and knocks Brooks teeth loose. ;)

The trade was good for both teams. I am glad that RW made the jump to a Norv Turner offense because Norv will use RW the way he was meant to be used.

What ever you may say about Ricky this much is indesputable: When he was given the ball and the chance to carry his team he won every game but one. That one game was lost on a fluke Hail Mary pass against Cleveland in which RW had around 170 yards on like 38 carries.

I expect RW to have around 1600 rushing and 500 receiving yards and the Saints to have the #34 draft pick. ;)

I also expect Deuce to have around 1300 rushing and 800 receiving.

I hope Jay Fiedler's shoulder heals quickly or else RW will be facing more of the same 8-9 man fronts he saw in New Orleans. If Gadsen and Chambers can get at least 900 yards apiece and RW can stay healthy and Fiedler stay away from excesive Int's (i.e. Trent Dilfer Football) then the 'Phins will be polishing their first Lombardi in a few decades...

I like Ricky. I like Deuce. Haslett is an idiot for not starting both at the same time...

MLU is right but this is how I think both RBs will do.

RW: 1499 yards rushing ;) 400 recieving yards

Deuce: 1250 yards rushing, 550 recieving yards

Nah, RW will have at least 1501... ;)

Are you the same Iceblizzard that posts on SR.com?

Back
Top Bottom