Everything Will Be Bad Until O-line Is Fixed | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Everything Will Be Bad Until O-line Is Fixed

Davis had a few bad plays in the game but I think over all he has played well and stayed healthy. IMO Sitton was a terrific signing. He was the exact guy we needed at LG. He has a bunch of Pro Bowls under his belt and he an old school lunch pail kind of throw back player. It would have been great to see him for more than one game. Ted Larsen is the worst Guard in the NFL according to something I saw yesterday. That's easy to believe because he is killing us and killing drives and he's going to get the QB killed if we don't get him out of there. Kilgore wasn't anything special from my point of view. Tunsil has finally settled in to be the great anchor at LT for a decade. James is good enough on the other side but we should keep our eyes open. It is a fact that this o-line limits everything we can do on offense then delete Amondola, Grant and Wilson and it's no wonder why points are at a premium.

Travis, I hear you regarding Davis's regression but keep in mind that the players around him have in many cases sucked. He's part of a rather poor o-line. It's kind of hard to look good when everyone around you is jumping offsides, missing assignments and holding on every play. I might like to see Davis at RT. I seem to recall him doing rather well.

Kdawg was it you that mentioned maybe Jesse Davis as an RT option next year?

Last year when thrust into action i think he was okay there? Better at guard iirc? But either way he has regressed this year. I’m just not a big fan of paying James either. He’s above average but not great enough I’d want to pay him top RT money

I'd be shocked if he wasn't an option out there. I never really liked a guy of his height kicked inside. He played RT in college and he seemed to do well there when Juwan went down last year.

This is an indictment of the organization’s ability to evaluate talent and the ability of the coaches teaching that talent, not an indication that the QB is the problem.

I feel comfortable saying the offensive line has underwhelming pieces while also being very content in wanting to put ourselves in a better position at QB

I do have to admit, it's not all on the OL. Here is a shot of Frank Gore chipping in with a "WTF" play. First sack of the game. EIGHT, count em, EIGHT blockers. Frank Gore, inexplicably ignores the free blitzer to go stand in the middle of a scrum instead.

If the picture were clearer, you'd see the "oh ****!" look on his face.

NdVfLniCtapkvbdb59SSEQZzVSGFoQ.png
Well, not sure I concur with your take on this. In fact, it's a pretty strange take. Here #3 (Larsen) and #6 (Davis) are engaged with no one. Plainly, Gore is picking up an unblocked defensive lineman, and Bush is coming on a delayed blitz. The RB picks up the first man through. This is a complete failure by the offensive line. If Gore picks up Bush, the DL is taking Tannehill down. In any event, on a 6 Man blitz, Tannehill should have audiblized and he should have been getting rid of the ball already.

Well, not sure I concur with your take on this. In fact, it's a pretty strange take. Here #3 (Larsen) and #6 (Davis) are engaged with no one. Plainly, Gore is picking up an unblocked defensive lineman, and Bush is coming on a delayed blitz. The RB picks up the first man through. This is a complete failure by the offensive line. If Gore picks up Bush, the DL is taking Tannehill down. In any event, on a 6 Man blitz, Tannehill should have audiblized and he should have been getting rid of the ball already.

None of us know the playbook, so this is all speculation. My speculative analysis is that O’Leary should have adjusted his route to faux block #20 and Davis should have picked up #20 if O’Leary did not adjust.

None of us know the playbook, so this is all speculation. My speculative analysis is that O’Leary should have adjusted his route to faux block #20 and Davis should have picked up #20 if O’Leary did not adjust.
I was only responding to the claim that this screen shot clearly shows a failure of blocking by Gore, when he is one of the few actually engaged on a block. Two lineman have clearly missed or not picked up a block on this play leaving Gore to pick up one or the other. Whichever choice he makes leaves an unblocked defender a clear path to Tannehill. Bad blocking scheme or poor execution in any event.

Why does it seem like the O-line always plays significantly worse when RT is the QB?? I will admit he made some nice throws with pressure in his face last week though

Last edited:

Gore chose to block in the middle before the rusher had shed the block. #20 was coming unblocked as clear as day on a delayed blitz. Gore just didn't see him until it was too late.

All day long Buffalo was having blitzers delay and come if their man does not go out into the pattern. That guy has to recognize and block the player that is coming.

This is just after the snap. Gore is on the offensive right. That is where the gap is. It is 3 v 2 on the left. 2 v 1 in the middle. O'Leary picks up the inside blitzer. Gore has to take the other guy.

RXdniLUD359A27jfVaKfM2MQG7QARC.png

This is the point at which Gore has to make the decision. Everybody is block except #20 and he is coming through a huge gap. When Gore goes to his left, there are already 3 guys blocking 2. He needs to crush #20.

U1eZSY2EZ9pATKq9PYuLGfHGpWnBHc.png

Last edited:
I was only responding to the claim that this screen shot clearly shows a failure of blocking by Gore, when he is one of the few actually engaged on a block. Two lineman have clearly missed or not picked up a block on this play leaving Gore to pick up one or the other. Whichever choice he makes leaves an unblocked defender a clear path to Tannehill. Bad blocking scheme or poor execution in any event.

You are getting fooled by the single image.

Turner has been playing for the Broncos this season. Hard to say, but there were times the past few months I was wondering if the team should find Dallas Thomas. He might be an upgrade over what we've see at times.

He's only started because of the injury to Leary

Arguably he has performed well under his contract which is on the lower end of starting QB. He's currently 17th in total money and 27th in average annual guaranteed money.
Wait till you see his salary cap number for next year

I don’t buy any doesn’t process information well stuff with Tannehill but I do think these first 2 games his clocks been a little slow at times. But I think it’s kinda expected with the amount of time and reps he missed at game speed.

We need it to be better Sunday.

I don’t buy any doesn’t process information well stuff with Tannehill but I do think these first 2 games his clocks been a little slow at times. But I think it’s kinda expected with the amount of time and reps he missed at game speed.

We need it to be better Sunday.

Same as the first two of this year in my opinion, very slow and just flat out rusty. Not really a concern for me as long as we see less of it which I think was the case Game 3 and forward.

Back
Top Bottom