Everything Will Be Bad Until O-line Is Fixed | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Everything Will Be Bad Until O-line Is Fixed

I don’t know how you ever give up a complete de with the pass rush impact of a Khalil mack. I sure as hell wouldn’t have done it.

Them dudes will have 5 first round picks in the next two drafts . . . .3 this year which is loaded in defense.

The deal that Mack got will likely exceed the total value of all 5 of those first round picks combined (including their 5th year options)

Its crazy, but with the way the NFL is structured it was probably the best decision they could of made for the future of their franchise.

Obviously they gotta hit on those picks but they may come close immediately if they take Bosa in 2019, and then u have him at 22 for cheap and still 4 more picks.

I think Gruden got it right, in the face of all the Chucky jokes.

The Chargers invested heavily in OL a couple of years ago and the Colts did the same this year. Both invested wisely and the benefits have been huge. The Dolphins, again, have to invest in the OL in FA the draft or both, but if the same idiots make the same idiot picks then what's the point.

That's your knock on Tannehill? That he is not elite? LOL.
You are fighting a losing battle on this. There are too many on this board who believe in reaching for a first round QB no matter what, because anyone will be better than RT. Fully another half of those would support drafting a QB EVERY draft until they find their “elite” QB. I honestly believe many on this board believe that drafting a QB in the first round guarantees success and will elevate all the talent around them to new plateaus of greatness. Ironically, one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) QB of all time was unable to do this on this very team. Also ironic is the fact that RT was a first rounder.

There is an Impasse between fans that say get the QB and the team will be much better, and fans that believe in getting the team better and putting your QB in the best position to succeed. I believe in QB upgrades, as long as they are legitimate and not reaches, but I also believe that if you fail to protect them you are wasting your time. I don’t know why we can’t get the OL right AND work on the QB situation. Why must the concepts be exclusive?

You are fighting a losing battle on this. There are too many on this board who believe in reaching for a first round QB no matter what, because anyone will be better than RT. Fully another half of those would support drafting a QB EVERY draft until they find their “elite” QB. I honestly believe many on this board believe that drafting a QB in the first round guarantees success and will elevate all the talent around them to new plateaus of greatness. Ironically, one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) QB of all time was unable to do this on this very team. Also ironic is the fact that RT was a first rounder.

There is an Impasse between fans that say get the QB and the team will be much better, and fans that believe in getting the team better and putting your QB in the best position to succeed. I believe in QB upgrades, as long as they are legitimate and not reaches, but I also believe that if you fail to protect them you are wasting your time. I don’t know why we can’t get the OL right AND work on the QB situation. Why must the concepts be exclusive?

This is a really good post.

I've mentioned not reaching for a QB just because we feel the need to several times in this thread already......I completely agree with your thoughts on this.

However once I do see the guy I want, you have to go for it. If the QB is out there that you know is the future of your franchise, then you do what you need to do to draft him. In my mind, that is likely 2020, but who knows.

The Chargers invested heavily in OL a couple of years ago and the Colts did the same this year. Both invested wisely and the benefits have been huge. The Dolphins, again, have to invest in the OL in FA the draft or both, but if the same idiots make the same idiot picks then what's the point.

I still believe you will be hardpressed to find a team that has invested more into their offensive line than Miami has since 2011.

They just suck at evaluating or their scheme has just sucked.

2011 - Mike Pouncey - 15th overall
2012 - Johnathan Martin - 42nd overall
2013 - Dallas Thomas - 77th overall
2014 - Juwan James - 19th overall
2014 - Billy Turner - 67th overall
2014 - Branden Albert - 5 years/47 million
2015 - Jamil Douglas - 114th overall
2016 - Laremy Tunsil - 13th overall
2017 - Isaac Asiata - 164th overall
2018 - Josh Sitton - 2 years / $13.5 million

That is not ignoring the OLine at all. You will be hardpressed to find a team that has done more in that time period on their oline.

This offseason we need to focus on the line; both sides. 2020, get a QB in the draft!

I keep hearing this but who is this QB everyone is targeting in 2020 ? There might be very slim pickings after Tua and we will not be in a position to draft him if we try to make incremental improvements in 2019. the 2019 draft has some really good options, Haskins, Herbert and Lock are all likely to be drafted before we even pick, we could be aggressive and move up for one, or just sit back and take someone in another position to slightly improve our overall chances of winning games, but in all likelihood we'll still be finishing around the 8 win mark which is our natural home. In 2020 we are pick 13th or so and already out of reach of Tua and even Fromm (whom I think is very overrated), we'll also have much more competition in 2020 as plenty of established teams are looking to their future, Pitt, NE, NO, LAC, GB and ATL all needing to find their next guy sooner rather than later, this 2019 draft lacks depth at QB, but there is some very good talent at the top of it.

IMO Fix the QB first then start building things around him, because without a good to elite one we will be nothing more than also rans, right now our current QB isn't the worst in the league but is nowhere near the best, that's just constantly landing is mid round draft picks and the story keeps on going on.

While I agree the o-line needs work, I think Miami has used first round picks on qb's, rbs or wrs less than any team in the league over the past 10 or 15 years. Parker, Tannehill, Ginn and Brown are the only ones that come to mind in the past two decades. If you want to build some positive buzz around the team you need draft name players now and then. I can't think of the last time Miami drafted a skilled position player that was a 1st team All-America or Heisman Trophy candidate. I think Ginn finished as a second team All-America selection and was also a preseason Heisman candidate.

I still believe you will be hardpressed to find a team that has invested more into their offensive line than Miami has since 2011.

They just suck at evaluating or their scheme has just sucked.

2012 - Johnathan Martin - 9 starts since 2013
2013 - Dallas Thomas - 0 starts since 2016
2014 - Billy Turner - 7 starts since 2016
2015 - Jamil Douglas - 0 starts since 2016

If it were scheme or coaching, some of these guys would have caught on somewhere else.

2012 - Johnathan Martin - 9 starts since 2013
2013 - Dallas Thomas - 0 starts since 2016
2014 - Billy Turner - 7 starts since 2016
2015 - Jamil Douglas - 0 starts since 2016

If it were scheme or coaching, some of these guys would have caught on somewhere else.

Turner has been playing for the Broncos this season. Hard to say, but there were times the past few months I was wondering if the team should find Dallas Thomas. He might be an upgrade over what we've see at times.

Yea his ankle got messed up but still took part in 80% of the snaps.

The heat that day helped tremendously as well. Juwan James has owned him tho . . .big feather in his cap come contract negotiation time.

I'm not paying James.

I'm not paying James.

He hasn't been bad this year, hell I think it's clear he is an above average right tackle

But if paying him factors even 1% into the thought process of paying X or Tunsil, Juwan can leave.

This team in its current cap state cannot afford an 8 figure AAV on a RT.

I too would not pay him knowing what it will take. But that definitely opens up a significant hole on an already weak unit.

He hasn't been bad this year, hell I think it's clear he is an above average right tackle

But if paying him factors even 1% into the thought process of paying X or Tunsil, Juwan can leave.

This team in its current cap state cannot afford an 8 figure AAV on a RT.

I too would not pay him knowing what it will take. But that definitely opens up a significant hole on an already weak unit.

I agree he's above average, he's going to get top dollars on the market and he's not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom