Fantasy Football is why Tua gets hate | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fantasy Football is why Tua gets hate

I dunno man, for some folks being right about what they post on a silly fan message forum is reeeeaaaallll important. Maybe you’re an exception. Maybe we’ll find out. Time will tell.
Fair enough. I think the only way to really gauge your point is the reaction on the board after Tua has an undeniably, irrefutably great game, which hopefully will be this Sunday! I wasn't on the board much last year, but I thought he looked great against Arizona. I wonder what the reaction was here after that game. I hope it was all positive.

Brady never tossed more than 25 TDs until 2007 when he doubled it. I guess he got twice as good in one offseason lol.
Well, he did lead the NFL in TD's with 28 his 2nd year starting, and in 2007 he got Randy Moss which probably has more to do with Brady throwing for 50 TDs than the rule change. Moss was good enough to make a previously retired Randal Cunningham achieve a new career-high in TDs with 34 in 1998. Throw in Wes Welker in 2007 as well and you have the perfect complimentary piece to a deep threat like Moss especially since Brady's bread butter is short throws.

The only thing I can say to this is that fantasy points are typically a measure of production. Better production typically leads to more points, and more points typically lead to more wins when you look at a large enough sample size. These were the top 10 fantasy QB leaders last year:
Fantasy Football Leaders Weeks 1 to 17 - QB | FantasyPros
RANKPLAYERTEAMPOINTSGAMESAVG
1Josh AllenBUF405.061625.32
2Kyler MurrayARI390.741624.42
3Aaron RodgersGB387.261624.20
4Patrick Mahomes IIKC380.401525.36
5Deshaun WatsonHOU376.321623.52
6Russell WilsonSEA372.781623.30
7Ryan TannehillTEN350.361621.90
8Tom BradyTB349.921621.87
9Justin HerbertLAC342.841522.86
10Lamar JacksonBAL341.781522.79
7 out of the top 10 fantasy QBs made the playoffs, and 2 out of the other 3 teams had QB changes during the season that split the fantasy stats up (Chicago and New Orleans). The only QB that made the playoffs while not in the fantasy top 10 and starting the whole year was Baker Mayfield.

Only Watson, Murray, and Herbert didn't make the playoffs.

All 4 teams that made the Championship game had QBs in the fantasy top 10.
I can appreciate trying to quantify an individual's performance. I'm just of the opinion that it is almost impossible in a 53-man team sport. My comment was more a disdain for fantasy football than anything else.

The fantasy experts aren’t all that anyway. This past week I rolled out Stafford, Winston and Tannehill. Tannehill had the highest expectations from the experts, he did the worst. I don’t value QB much in Fantasy. This year if it’s not Mahomes or Allen many are in the same bucket. All about matchups unless you get one of the few matchup proof guys.

Its hard to put up good fantasy numbers when your offensive line is foldng like a lawn chair.

If you dont have enough time for a wr to run deep down the field how are you supposed to hit deep passes?

Tua having a stronger arm would help, im not a Tua apologist but the foundation of this team is totally flawed.

We tried to fix the line in 18 and 19 and then moved on to taking skill players (and more DBs) in 20 without ever fixing the oline. Waddle is nice to have and he looks legit but the bottomline is the OLine isn't good. Having a good oline is vital. Brady for example has always had a good to great oline. Manning also had a great Oline. Brees with the Saints had a great oline.

Its not a shock we don't, havnt and probably wont put up consistent fantasy points. The line needs to improve leaps and bounds before I expect constant fantasy production from any player on our offense.

Here I was thinking it was the small stature, weak arm, happy feet and inability to go to his 2nd read. How could I have been so wrong?

Please explain to me how his current fantasy stats impacted my low ceiling expectations of him in college? Because that would be incredible.

Why is it so hard to believe that Tua doesn't get massive media praise because he's done nothing on the field to earn it yet?

I hope he throws 50 TDs this year and is great, but this "I know the secret reason people are down on Tua" stuff needs to stop.
Fantasy football and sports gambling sites like Fan Duel drive the sports media. I would argue the hate Tua gets is driven by his low appeal to FF players and bettors more-so than his lack of praise in the media. I would agree that he hasn’t earned a ton of praise yet, but by that standard he certainly doesn’t deserve the hate he gets either.

I should've clarified that the 'people' I was talking about mainly referred to national audience and national 'talking heads', not so much Dolphins fans.
The 'experts' care more about the stat line than 8-3 as a starter.
The 'experts' dont care when a drop on 3rd down kills a drive that couldve led to more 'stats' like a TD pass.

Are you talking about NFL fans or phins fans?

For myself, i am rooting for tua but he has been mediocre. It has zero to do with fantasy football… it has to do with having mediocore QB play the past countless years and it looking like it will continue with tua. Yes, it is still early. Watching herbert and burrow perform right away makes us compare and also unfairly judge. Still being taken that high in a draft to just be a “game manager” like some claim is hard to accept.

Time will tell…
Nothing to do with the overall point of your post, but the fact that the term "game manager" is somehow derrogatory is baffling, and oxymoronic to me.

TB is first, and foremost, an elite game manager. You want your QB to be able to manage real time game situations at a high level. If he can't, he will never be a consistent QB.

The reality is though, a top 10 QB is the good game manager, that also has the "it" factor and executes at crunch time, in game altering situations.

Please explain to me how his current fantasy stats impacted my low ceiling expectations of him in college? Because that would be incredible.

Why is it so hard to believe that Tua doesn't get massive media praise because he's done nothing on the field to earn it yet?

I hope he throws 50 TDs this year and is great, but this "I know the secret reason people are down on Tua" stuff needs to stop.
the real reason is he eats a lot of spam.......most people from Hawaii like spam.

Back
Top Bottom