Feeley getting beaten out by rookie for... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley getting beaten out by rookie for...

Hell, Frerotte may have trouble being the number 2 qb in St Louis so what the point.

Oh, c'mon guys...He's just the #3 because Whitehurst is the placeholder for fieldgoals...If Rivers goes down, Feeley is who would go in...

:goof:

...Sorry...couldn't help memories of the "he was really Philly's #2" arguement that was seen here two years ago.

Let's see:

Spielman: Give 2nd round for a 3rd stringer.

Saban: Give 2nd round for a 1st stringer, and 6th round for, err, another 1st stringer (such as he was).

Hmmm..........................:dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins:

TooDrkPark said:
Chargers | Whitehurst to be No. 2 QB Friday
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 05:45:03 -0700
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/179">Jay Paris, of the North County Times, reports San Diego Chargers rookie QB Charlie Whitehurst is pushing veteran QB A.J. Feeley for the role of backing up starting QB Philip Rivers. It'll be Whitehurst, and not Feeley, relieving Rivers and running the second-string Friday, Aug. 18, in the team's preseason game. "With me being a rookie quarterback, it is definitely a slow process and it is a little bit frustrating," Whitehurst said. "You want to be ready to play right now, and realistically that is not going to happen. You take those baby steps and learn from your mistakes.'' Rivers said he likes working with Whitehurst. The pair competed against each other twice, with Rivers' North Carolina State team beating Whitehurst's Tigers both times.

yo, we knew what feeley was.. anfd whitehurst woudnt be beating cleo either.. we got them on that one...but not as good as philly got us.

tcdrover said:
Yeah, there were plenty of people around here that were very vocal about backing him over Gus at the time. :rolleyes:

I think Lemon is dramatically better than AJ...

I know it's all ancient history, but you're right. There were people here comparing him to Brett Favre. I never saw it. Even early on when I supported him, I didn't see anything that led me to believe he would be a great QB. I hoped he could at least manage a game, which he proved incapable of.

So this news of Whitehurst beating him out really doesn't surprise me. Feeley is just a sad (and maddening) epitaph on the tombstone of the Wannstedt/Spielman Dolphins.

:fire: (Still pissed we spent a high 2nd round pick on that guy!!! I HATE YOU SPIELMAN, YOU S.O.B.!!!!)

Gotta love the reality: Feeley can't hold onto 2nd string job and Fiedler is hurt and can't play... Wow doesn't that sound familar.

clear.gif

:sidelol:

Well, I`m really pissed! I didn`t log on here before the Bear/Charger game tonight, so I didn`t see this thread, well I sit thru the whole damn game just to see if Feeley`s still as bad as he was in Miami, and of course he doesn`t play. Having to sit thru that game was pure torture!

Goin` Deep said:
Well, I`m really pissed! I didn`t log on here before the Bear/Charger game tonight, so I didn`t see this thread, well I sit thru the whole damn game just to see if Feeley`s still as bad as he was in Miami, and of course he doesn`t play. Having to sit thru that game was pure torture!
:0wned:

:chuckle: :wink:

rafael said:
The point you never got and obviously still don't is that you can evaluate a QB's mental abilities without waiting for the perfect situation. You don't have to wait some predetermined number of games. If you know what to look for it was obvious early on the previous season. It wasn't about hating. I gave RS the benefit of the doubt on AJ and defended the trade on this site prior to AJ's 1st year with us. I said I hadn't seen AJ display any feel in the two games I had seen but maybe RS had seen it in the other two games he'd played. The real argument was that I'd seen all I needed to see with AJ. The outcome was obvious. It wasn't about wishing anybody would fail, it was about being able to evaluate a player. Don't call me a hater or try to define my motivations as being anti-team b/c you're not as good at evaluation.

No I got that point all along. The point you never got was that there are many examples of qbs that in their first year starting that look lost that go on to have solid careers, not elite, but solid starting careers. Drew Brees looked lost his first couple years, albeit never as bad as Aj but he also had LT. Yes he was better and is much better, but when he had inexperience plus o-line prob, he didnt do all that well either. Bledsoe is a huge example of the good and bad, with solid protection, he is very good, under pressure he stinks. Yes he is also better than AJ, but is an example of how even good not great, but good qbs look awful in situations their skill set doesnt provide for. What you never got was that I said AJ had the potential physically to be a good qb, I said all along i didnt believe he was elite. I said good potentially. I also stated emphatically to write him off completely after 2004 was wrong, he deserved a shot with better talent around him to see if he improved his poise with the knowledge it wasnt all on him. He showed he couldnt, he got the shot and failed. I am fine with that and yes in hindsight it was a waste.

But to pretend you knew for fact is hillarious. Your gut feeling was right. I hand it to you, you saw it. I saw it, but wanted to see if it improved within a better environment. Especially when you consider that the other option was a journeyman who 6 other teams didnt want. It isnt a leap to say give them both equal shot and compare apples to apples, not just line up stats w/o factoring the units faced. IE the Bears game where AJ wasnt spectacular by any means, but faced a tough bears first team, while Gus fared better, against the second team, yet didnt look spectacular either. Yet you all said right there Gus stats were better and he scored points so AJ is benched. It was not a fair comparison. It was a biased one based on you being right. That was the tone of the argument. That was what the exception to your argument was, not that your opinion wasnt valid, nopr potentially the correct one, just that it was stupid for any of us to even consider giving equal chances against 1st, 2nd, and 3rd units equally. That is what played out, AJ blew his shot, he deserved to be dropped to 3rd and eventually shipped out.

I also understand that he didnt seem to have the feel as you put it. My point to that was there were some mitigating circumstances, like no o-line, no run game, nothing to help take pressure off of AJ in 2004, it was him, he was the offense, he couldnt handle that. That was teh crux of my argument. He was put in the fire with a subpar offense, subpar supporting cast and horrid coaching. No qb would have done well in that environment and still believe that. Would they have shown better poise, yeah. If they are qbs that are not risk takers, they would not have thrown balls that AJ did as well. But there are also qbs that may have shown better poise but made just as many bad decisions. And most of those qbs wouldnt have been first year starters. You cant tell me AJ didnt come into the worst possible situation asa 1st year starter?

I just take exception to people who sit on their high horse and act like they are so much more knowledgeable by making the argument something it wasnt, and using a laughing tone at others opinions.

:shakeno:

he didn't play because they wanted to give Whitehurst more time, this has nothing to do with how he is performing, he did ok last week when he played.

endorPHINS72 said:
I know it's all ancient history, but you're right. There were people here comparing him to Brett Favre. I never saw it. Even early on when I supported him, I didn't see anything that led me to believe he would be a great QB. I hoped he could at least manage a game, which he proved incapable of.

So this news of Whitehurst beating him out really doesn't surprise me. Feeley is just a sad (and maddening) epitaph on the tombstone of the Wannstedt/Spielman Dolphins.

:fire: (Still pissed we spent a high 2nd round pick on that guy!!! I HATE YOU SPIELMAN, YOU S.O.B.!!!!)

LOL noone compared him to Brett Favre, there is another case of someone changing the argument to fit their reality.

The comparison to Favre was the look at Favre who is by far, leaps and bounds far, better than AJ and look at all the ints Brett throws when the argument was made about AJs ints in his first year starting. It wasnt AJ is as good as Brett, it was a great qb like Brett throws a ton of ints, yet many here expected AJ to be perfect. Why would you expect that when he is nowhere near as great as Brett nowhere near half as good yet people expected less ints. In a season where AJ was the only option, no run game and a receiver that was useless unless AJ got him the ball.

Not bashing but I have read post after post claiming arguments that never took place and quoting points never nade.

rickeyrunsover said:
No I got that point all along. The point you never got was that there are many examples of qbs that in their first year starting that look lost that go on to have solid careers, not elite, but solid starting careers. Drew Brees looked lost his first couple years, albeit never as bad as Aj but he also had LT. Yes he was better and is much better, but when he had inexperience plus o-line prob, he didnt do all that well either. Bledsoe is a huge example of the good and bad, with solid protection, he is very good, under pressure he stinks. Yes he is also better than AJ, but is an example of how even good not great, but good qbs look awful in situations their skill set doesnt provide for. What you never got was that I said AJ had the potential physically to be a good qb, I said all along i didnt believe he was elite. I said good potentially. I also stated emphatically to write him off completely after 2004 was wrong, he deserved a shot with better talent around him to see if he improved his poise with the knowledge it wasnt all on him. He showed he couldnt, he got the shot and failed. I am fine with that and yes in hindsight it was a waste.

But to pretend you knew for fact is hillarious. Your gut feeling was right. I hand it to you, you saw it. I saw it, but wanted to see if it improved within a better environment. Especially when you consider that the other option was a journeyman who 6 other teams didnt want. It isnt a leap to say give them both equal shot and compare apples to apples, not just line up stats w/o factoring the units faced. IE the Bears game where AJ wasnt spectacular by any means, but faced a tough bears first team, while Gus fared better, against the second team, yet didnt look spectacular either. Yet you all said right there Gus stats were better and he scored points so AJ is benched. It was not a fair comparison. It was a biased one based on you being right. That was the tone of the argument. That was what the exception to your argument was, not that your opinion wasnt valid, nopr potentially the correct one, just that it was stupid for any of us to even consider giving equal chances against 1st, 2nd, and 3rd units equally. That is what played out, AJ blew his shot, he deserved to be dropped to 3rd and eventually shipped out.

I also understand that he didnt seem to have the feel as you put it. My point to that was there were some mitigating circumstances, like no o-line, no run game, nothing to help take pressure off of AJ in 2004, it was him, he was the offense, he couldnt handle that. That was teh crux of my argument. He was put in the fire with a subpar offense, subpar supporting cast and horrid coaching. No qb would have done well in that environment and still believe that. Would they have shown better poise, yeah. If they are qbs that are not risk takers, they would not have thrown balls that AJ did as well. But there are also qbs that may have shown better poise but made just as many bad decisions. And most of those qbs wouldnt have been first year starters. You cant tell me AJ didnt come into the worst possible situation asa 1st year starter?

I just take exception to people who sit on their high horse and act like they are so much more knowledgeable by making the argument something it wasnt, and using a laughing tone at others opinions.

It's not about a player looking lost early on. That can be explained by not knowing the offense. Feel, however, is different. It doesn't matter what the mitigating circumstances were. That's the crux of my argument. If you know what you're looking for, it's simple to spot. It's not just a gut feeling, it's analysis and evaluation. I've now analyzed somewhere between 40-50 QBs over the last ten years or so and I've only missed once (McNabb). I've evaluated higly hyped players and no-names and I've been right almost everytime. So I take offense to people telling me that I'm hating or wishing the team ill b/c they simply don't understand.

The fact is I am more knowledgable than most. I've worked with college coaches and NFL scouts. I've had an NFL agent ask me to evaluate the NFL potential of college players for him (reviewing game tapes, flying out to games and such). (BTW of the 40 or so players I reviewed for him that he had hopes of landing I told him only two had NFL potential and they were the only two that were actually drafted) I've been told on several occasions that I should be a scout. I'm not b/c I don't like the lifestyle and I don't want to make my hobby my job and then eventually not enjoy doing it. Also, I don't feel I'm as good at evaluating every position. WR, for example is a position that I miss on as often as I hit. So, if somebody is challenging my opinion of a wr, I'm not going to be as sure simply b/c my track record doesn't warrant it. But when it comes to QBs I'm much more certain b/c my track record does warrant it. This doesn't mean that I won't listen to other people's opinions, I do. But those opinions have to be based on sound logic. The arguments for AJ's potential were not. They were based on the faulty assumption that you can't evaluate a QB with a poor supporting cast. That is simply not true. They were also looking at only half the picture. Sure AJ had the physical attributes needed, but the mental side was clearly not there. So, it was irrelevant. It made as much sense as me arguing that a QB had the perfect mind for football and therefore had potential while ignoring the fact that he had no arms. No matter how good his mind was he wouldn't have much QB potential.

rafael said:
It's not about a player looking lost early on. That can be explained by not knowing the offense. Feel, however, is different. It doesn't matter what the mitigating circumstances were. That's the crux of my argument. If you know what you're looking for, it's simple to spot. It's not just a gut feeling, it's analysis and evaluation. I've now analyzed somewhere between 40-50 QBs over the last ten years or so and I've only missed once (McNabb). I've evaluated higly hyped players and no-names and I've been right almost everytime. So I take offense to people telling me that I'm hating or wishing the team ill b/c they simply don't understand.

The fact is I am more knowledgable than most. I've worked with college coaches and NFL scouts. I've had an NFL agent ask me to evaluate the NFL potential of college players for him (reviewing game tapes, flying out to games and such). (BTW of the 40 or so players I reviewed for him that he had hopes of landing I told him only two had NFL potential and they were the only two that were actually drafted) I've been told on several occasions that I should be a scout. I'm not b/c I don't like the lifestyle and I don't want to make my hobby my job and then eventually not enjoy doing it. Also, I don't feel I'm as good at evaluating every position. WR, for example is a position that I miss on as often as I hit. So, if somebody is challenging my opinion of a wr, I'm not going to be as sure simply b/c my track record doesn't warrant it. But when it comes to QBs I'm much more certain b/c my track record does warrant it. This doesn't mean that I won't listen to other people's opinions, I do. But those opinions have to be based on sound logic. The arguments for AJ's potential were not. They were based on the faulty assumption that you can't evaluate a QB with a poor supporting cast. That is simply not true. They were also looking at only half the picture. Sure AJ had the physical attributes needed, but the mental side was clearly not there. So, it was irrelevant. It made as much sense as me arguing that a QB had the perfect mind for football and therefore had potential while ignoring the fact that he had no arms. No matter how good his mind was he wouldn't have much QB potential.

So your saying you and only you who agree with you know what to look for? And anyone else who thinks that an inexperienced qb who is pressured as soon as he gets the ball should be given at least a shot to show their abilities in normal environments are stupid?

As far as you being more knowledgeable, I dont doubt that, but doesnt mean noone else is qualified nor is it proven that your superior to us simply because you said so.

As far as AJ potential goes, noone said he had the elite potential, even said he didnt, but he had the potential to be a Trent Green, a step up from fiedler. So you say it was not sound, so therefore it is fact? Numerous so called experts who get paid by the NFL are wrong about qbs with Feel as you say it, so while you toot your horn, I will also say I am glad for you that you are involved, I will also say that none of this is or was teh complete argument. You make it out that in simple terms we thought AJ was great. Not true, we thought he had potential to be better than Jay, which considering Jay had over .600 winning % wasnt bad, wasnt great but good. Alex Smith who everyone loved, looked total lost and showed very little poise last year do you think he is a bust already? Yeap has more potential than AJ, but showed no feel, looked paniced, like a deer in headlights, jumping around in the pocket. How many examples do you want?

Back
Top Bottom