First Impressions Of Dolphins' Head Coach Candidates | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Impressions Of Dolphins' Head Coach Candidates

Urban Meyer, Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney, David Shaw, either Harbaugh, Dan Mullen or Nick Saban (I know, I know). See the common thread. All Head Coaches already, all obviously know how to put a staff together (it's a proven track record), all are leaders of men, all at huge programs with expectant fan base's. I think folks turn their noses up to the college game way too much, yet seem fine with coaches who've never held the top job before, if we are rebuilding we need to get this piece right first and foremost and I want to bet on a known factor, being the head cheese is a completely different beast than just a coordinator.

I would roll with Swinney, Mullen or Shaw. Any of the three.

Does anyone know if they plan to have more candidates to the list or are we really just limiting ourselves to this group?

Richard got into a scuffle with Eagles Jalen Mills pregame in Philly.

Dude is fiery.

So far, Byron Jones(boundary corner), Anthony Brown(slot CB) and Xaiver Woods(FS) all have improved quite a bit since Richard came in.

Previous DC/HC/whoever had Jones playing FS, which he was decent at, but not much of a difference maker. This year he has shutdown guys. No INTs but QB's stopped looking his way at times.
Brown had a decent rookie year in 16, faltered big time in 17, and looks better than he did in 16 playing the slot.
Woods has emerged as a hard hitting FS that is decent in coverage.

I would hate to see him leave Dallas, unless it is to be the HC here.

Richard got into a scuffle with Eagles Jalen Mills pregame in Philly.

Dude is fiery.

So far, Byron Jones(boundary corner), Anthony Brown(slot CB) and Xaiver Woods(FS) all have improved quite a bit since Richard came in.

Previous DC/HC/whoever had Jones playing FS, which he was decent at, but not much of a difference maker. This year he has shutdown guys. No INTs but QB's stopped looking his way at times.
Brown had a decent rookie year in 16, faltered big time in 17, and looks better than he did in 16 playing the slot.
Woods has emerged as a hard hitting FS that is decent in coverage.

I would hate to see him leave Dallas, unless it is to be the HC here.

Hell yea! I like him even more now!

Mike McCarthy, Urban Myer, John Harbaugh or Nick Saban for head coach, get it right this time Ross.

Skape thanks a ton for the videos on the original post man. :cheers:

Watching those, my completely uneducated, knee-jerk reactions to the candidates mentioned:

Brian Flores comes off as flat and kinda boring. I can’t believe this guy is a coach to be honest.

Kris Richard sounds smart, tough, and inspiring. I would be shocked if he doesn’t get an offer from a team this offseason. I'd love for him to be the next coach of the Dolphins.

Vic Fangio is EXTREMELY likable and sounds knowledgeable. He would be my top choice based solely on listening to him speak. I could see Ross loving this guy.

Munchak speaking glowingly about Jake Locker is painful to watch. I know some people are high on him, but I can’t see him as someone who inspires greatness in players or invigorates a fanbase.

Eric Bieniemy sounds like a nice guy, albeit coming off a bit simple-minded. He loves calling people “kids” and all of his I’s sound like E’s: “He’s a good keeeed”.

Darren Rizzi’s voice is so hoarse, it would be painful to listen to him week in and week out.

Of these options, I could see Kris Richard, Vic Fangio and Eric Bieniemy as the top choices. Richard or Fangio would be my picks.

There are a couple of new names now, Allen the DC of New Orleans and Rex Ryan of … well formerly of half the division.

I'm not impressed with these candidates, but I like the fact we are looking at young up and comers. My ideal candidate would be a guy who is an up and coming coach, and I was onboard with Gase … but it didn't work out. Still, I'd like to take shots at good young coordinators like that. Unfortunately, I just don't rate these guys.

Of the less than stellar group we are interested in interviewing so far, the only one that I would hire is Vic Fangio. We know he would build our defense, and that's a worthwhile thing. Munchak may solve our OL woes … but I just don't see him being exceptional at anything.

The young guys just don't impress me … and I say that being a guy who really wants to take a gamble on a young up and coming coach. We're not getting a great veteran to take us over unless it's a coordinator like Fangio. I'm 100% against retreads, and that includes Munchak. But, I don't see the next Sean McVay in this group.

I would hire Bruce Arians if he would sign with us. After that, Vic Fangio is probably as good as it gets.

Thanks for the original post, good stuff. I guess a question I have is if we go for a younger coach on the rise, like a Kris Richard for HC, who does he bring in to run the offense and will he attract talent there?. I think that's the biggest argument for a proven head coach - that he can hopefully get the right coordinators under him because of his network and accepted leadership. Gase came in as the offensive guru wunderkind and QB whisperer that wanted to call the offense, but he never got a solid defensive coordinator and also never really felt like he had took the reigns on the full team. Was that purely Gase's shortcoming alone or is it just really hard for an unproven head coach to attract the quality coordinators needed to report to them? To be the right personality to make the leap, you need to know what you don't know and get the right people around you. Maybe that's where Grier comes in but there better to be a full plan in place if we are taking a leap on an unproven HC candidate that hasn't even had a season as DC.

If you don't really have a conviction on any of the guys you bring in, do you go with Rizz?

Back
Top Bottom