First Impressions Of Dolphins' Head Coach Candidates | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Impressions Of Dolphins' Head Coach Candidates

Of course they'll have to be on the same accord to some extent. But keep in mind that grown men can work together to achieve a common goal, and that's consistently competing year in and year out. At this point it's about winning on the football field and Ross seems pretty persistent about making sure that's priority moving forward.
Grown men can work together. Someone is in charge, and has final say, in almost every successful, for profit entity though.

Chain of command, and authority matter.

Tony Dungy would've been rated low according to your ratings. Dungy appears timid and reserved and he was a hell of a head coach.

Very dangerous thing to base your judgment of people off youtube videos.
True, to an extent, but its far more information than a fan has had access to in the past. How dangerous was it to make judgments when you really only had name recognition, and some beat reporters biased opinion?

YouTube is a lot more than a passing fad, accessed only by millennials.

Tony Dungy would've been rated low according to your ratings. Dungy appears timid and reserved and he was a hell of a head coach.

I wouldnt say that. Dungy had plenty of personality, enough so that he was successful as a TV personality as well.

Could you imagine Philbin or Gase doing NFL pregame? lol.

Very dangerous thing to base your judgment of people off youtube videos.

Which is why I hope Grier is basing his decision on a bit more than a first impression while watching some YouTube clips...

I’m just some fan, I’m not hiring these guys, just trying to get a sense of their personalities by watching them communicate to determine how I feel they might fit as HC. I could, and probably am, totally off on some of these.

And you are right, I might have dismissed Dungy as “too timid” after watching interviews of him, but I’d consider him an outlier in that regard. Can you name some other very reserved HCs who have been successful in the league. Dungy is almost like a pastor, he is a great mentor and also has that “defensive wizard” thing going for him. Can we say the same about Flores? I don’t know... doesn’t seem like it at first glance, but I could be wrong.

Now, there have also been several highly charismatic and motivational coaches who have flamed out in recent years, including Herm Edwards and Gus Bradley, so that personality style certainly isn’t a guarantee of success. But I could just see it working more often than a guy who admittedly said he didn’t view himself as a leader because he was quiet.

I'm curious - and genuinely so and not trying to derail the thread so feel free to PM me a response if you prefer - what did you see in Tannehill based on your first impressions about his ability to lead an offense and team?

I believe my first impression of him was that he reminded me a bit too much of Chad Henne. Not as stiff as the robot, but just seemed to have that complacent “just happy to be here attitude” and not the fiery competitive attitude you see in guys like Brady, Wilson, Rivers, etc.

Then again, Eli Manning was even worse in that regard and managed to win 2 Super Bowls, so I think you could still have that kind of personality and be successful QB, but it’s more of an outlier IMO.

I don’t think I’ve ever found my self as indifferent as I am now. I think the reason is nobody really knows who’ll be a success or failure. It’s all guessing. I’d go with The Godfather simply because I think he’ll be able to put together the best staff. I do hate that he’s sixty and I was initially against the idea.

Looking at the list of upper echelon coaches and their strengths, the one common link between them is that they are all good at team management - the CEO type. The question is, did they come in adept at this aspect of the job, or did they learn it on the job and just found to have a natural inclination toward it. This is why I fee an assistant HC role is a real positive for candidates because it shows they have experience with the team management side of things.

This is really where our past coaches failed most... they might have been good in other areas of the job, but lacked in creating and fostering an organizational structure for success.

Just think of all the embarrassing scandals that plagued the coaching reign of Philbin and Gase for example... they didn’t have a good handle on team management.

This is absolutely crucial for the candidate. It’s hard to tell who on this list would be best in this regard. We know Rizzi does have experience with it considering his role as assistant HC. Munchak developed some of these skills in his first HC gig. Considering how hands on Fangio is as DC, he is probably competent in team management. The question for me is how Richard fits into that. He seems pretty organized to me just based on what I’ve seen from his practices, but there is much more to it than that. I’d roll the dice that he is capable of developing that skill to competent levels.

I’d worry about both Bienemey and Flores in that regard though. Haven’t been exposed to that side of the business enough.

I remember when Andy Reid was hired for the Eagles and recall the narrative being he was very, very organized, presented a plan to the brass (which I think included binders, etc...) of what he was planning to do and knew exactly what he wanted to do
Was very, very, prepared for his interview
That stuck with me

Which is why I hope Grier is basing his decision on a bit more than a first impression while watching some YouTube clips...

I’m just some fan, I’m not hiring these guys, just trying to get a sense of their personalities by watching them communicate to determine how I feel they might fit as HC. I could, and probably am, totally off on some of these.

And you are right, I might have dismissed Dungy as “too timid” after watching interviews of him, but I’d consider him an outlier in that regard. Can you name some other very reserved HCs who have been successful in the league. Dungy is almost like a pastor, he is a great mentor and also has that “defensive wizard” thing going for him. Can we say the same about Flores? I don’t know... doesn’t seem like it at first glance, but I could be wrong.

Now, there have also been several highly charismatic and motivational coaches who have flamed out in recent years, including Herm Edwards and Gus Bradley, so that personality style certainly isn’t a guarantee of success. But I could just see it working more often than a guy who admittedly said he didn’t view himself as a leader because he was quiet.
This is very true however you gain some insight from those videos on leadership style, teaching philosophy, and coaching personality. I may get some flack for this, but Richard style reminds me a little bit of belichick and saben (without the perpetual anger). They all are hands on coach's who demand perfection, teach situational football, and are great technicians.

I think if one of these coach was prone to heavily target Murray, it would be Richard, who's had a good look at what smaller QBs can accomplish in this league... On top of that, here's a guy who had his defense playing against Wilson day in and day out in practice, Kris doesnt need to learn how to use a smaller QB...

Who would you prefer that wouldn't be "meh" to you, out of curiosity?

Urban Meyer, Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney, David Shaw, either Harbaugh, Dan Mullen or Nick Saban (I know, I know). See the common thread. All Head Coaches already, all obviously know how to put a staff together (it's a proven track record), all are leaders of men, all at huge programs with expectant fan base's. I think folks turn their noses up to the college game way too much, yet seem fine with coaches who've never held the top job before, if we are rebuilding we need to get this piece right first and foremost and I want to bet on a known factor, being the head cheese is a completely different beast than just a coordinator.

Back
Top Bottom