First Monthly Update | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Monthly Update

FinHeavenAJ

FinHeaven Lives
Reaction score
First off, welcome premium members. I would like to thank all of you for becoming a premium member and helping the site out. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Since this is the first message, I feel as though I should try and cover all the “basics†of the site. Here is a general outline of what this message will contain.

1. Operational Costs and Information
2. Future Plans/Ideas
3. Current Revenue
4. Stats
5. Things To Think About…
6. In Closing

Please note: This message is exceptionally long because I am trying to cover everything about the site.

Operational Costs

First and most importantly, let me tell you what kind of server FinHeaven & Co is running on. It’s a Pentium III 1.2 GHz, with one gig of ram. In addition, it’s on a large 60gig hard drive, with 300gigs of bandwidth. The operating system is Red Hat Linux 7.3. Furthermore, we are with FastServers.net (http://fastservers.net/). I choose them because of their reliability, support, and speed. In addition, they were rated the best Dedicated Server host by Web Hosting Magazine.

Now enough of the technical talk, and on to the cost. We pay a quarterly fee of $585 for hosting. I did bargain with them for a price, as it would have normally cost about $125 extra. Furthermore, server software called “cPanel†has been installed on the server. This usually costs $38 per month, but I got it at $22 per month. This software makes things so much easier and faster to operate the site. So, totaling those two items per year, it will come to $2,604 per year.

In addition, there is a registration fee of $13.50 a year. This is to simply keep the name “finheaven.com.†Furthermore, there is a fee of $30 to receive upgrades for the message board. Both of these fees I consider mandatory as I like to keep up-to-date. Totaling both these fees and the hosting fees, it comes to $2,647.50 a year.

Future Plans

I feel as though the strongest point of FinHeaven is the message board. Usually, 80% of the entire visits/hits are for the message board. I would really like working on more content for the main page, like news and commentary. In addition, finding a wallpaper artist would be great. All of this leads to my next paragraph…

First, I am starting to look out for posters that make great posts that could be transformed into commentary. Once the season starts, I would like to ask them if they would be interested in writing some commentary for the website. If you would like to nominate anyone, let me know.

Secondly, and most importantly, the wallpapers idea. Many members have commented on having some sort of photo galleries for members to post pictures from games or whatever. In order to do this, I’ve been looking at some software. Now, I only use the best software because I feel that the best software pays for itself later on in terms of higher membership, and fewer problems. Thus is why I’ve been looking at PhotoPost PHP Pro (http://www.photopost.com). This software is the best out there because of many reasons; however, one main reason is because it automatically connects to the user database for the forum. This is important because it means that users don’t have to register twice for two separate programs. In addition, it offers the speed and reliability that the current forum software has. The only drawback is the price, which comes in at $149 for an owner’s license and then an optional $49 per year after the first year of ownership.

Current Revenue

The two streams of revenue that FinHeaven & Co gains is extremely unstable. However, on average we usually get about $25 per month from the advertising banner left side of every webpage except for the forum. In addition, during the season we usually get revenue from selling jerseys and such. This can range from $10 - $25 per month. Larry (dolfan06) is speaking to several sport bars out in his neighborhood to see if we can get a nice sponsorship running. In addition, I am looking into getting FinHeaven & Co merchandise. If you have any other ideas for revenue, please let me know.

Stats

In the month of March there were 49,388 unique visitors. In addition, there were 6,335,577 hits. That is a very high number for the offseason, yet in season, that number generally gets up to 15 million hits. In addition, in the month of March there were 64 new registrants. From April 1st through the 22nd, there have been 78 new members.

Things To Think About…

First, many members have now said that the premium membership should be open to anyone, at any time. Furthermore, Jon (WharfRat) knew that members would want in as soon as the door was closed.

There are many pros and cons to this… One major pro of this would be an increase of revenue, thus we would be able to afford more software, as well as cover more expenses. However, the one major con would be that we would lose the exclusivity on this membership, which is why I capped it off at 30 members. The con of that con (can I say that?) is that it is the beginning of the year, and there will be new members later in the year, so why should we close the door on members that never had the opportunity to be a premium member?

So, something to think about, should there be a cap, or should we keep the door open the entire year?

In Closing…

Again, I appreciate all your help. I think all the premium members will enjoy the benefit of knowing practically everything that goes on with FinHeaven.

Currently the FinHeaven Checking account stands at $895.25. There are still four monthly payments due, one quarterly payment due, one semi-annually payment due, and twelve annual payments due.

So, I think I covered all that needs to be covered. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I’ll gladly answer them.

Once again, thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ

The con of that con (can I say that?)

No, you can't! :tsk: It's a double-negative. :fire:

;)

My thoughts on joining as a premium member. How about we have a limited cap? Every three months you open ten new spaces for premium membership. That way there's still exclusivity, but new members can get a chance. Just a thought.

AJ I got to be honest I would like to see the premium membership stay caped because for a couple of reasons 1: How many people do you want making decisions for the site and 2: My more selfish reason is I like seeing that premium member logo when I post and knowing that their ane only 29 more of us. Now before everybody jumps on me could you not make another level like companies do with their stocks you have perferred and common. You could do something like that.

One other thought is the more members that are let in is more work for you to keep track of

Originally posted by booyeah_
My thoughts on joining as a premium member. How about we have a limited cap? Every three months you open ten new spaces for premium membership. That way there's still exclusivity, but new members can get a chance. Just a thought.

Very good idea. That keeps it exclusive as well as get new members that didn't have the chance to become a premium member earlier.

Originally posted by HofCityFan
AJ I got to be honest I would like to see the premium membership stay caped because for a couple of reasons 1: How many people do you want making decisions for the site and 2: My more selfish reason is I like seeing that premium member logo when I post and knowing that their ane only 29 more of us. Now before everybody jumps on me could you not make another level like companies do with their stocks you have perferred and common. You could do something like that.

One other thought is the more members that are let in is more work for you to keep track of

Extremely valid points, thus is why I the point is being brought up here. I will agree that having TOO many people making decisions can make this a difficult task. In addition, regading the small logo, that is exactly why I added those buttons, with the help of Capt and WharfRat. We all thought that it would be a good idea to have some sort of recognition.

As for another level, I would rather not. There is already a seperation amongst members, and I would hate to create another level that would seperate that members even more.

Lastly, you are right that it is currently time consuming to keep track of members, but I'm working on a new way to make this easier and better for all of us.

So... both gave very valid points. Let's see what other people think, and then go from there.

Thanks for your help...

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

AJ,

Thanks for the spec.

To be honest with you, I would want FinHeaven to generate enough revenue that it could pay your tuition and/or living expenses. How could anyone who's appreciated all you've done with this site NOT wish you AT LEAST that level of compensation? (I recognize that premium memberships alone won't do that, but it helps. When I was a student, I remember finding a dollar ANYWHERE helpful!)

I like the exclusivity of the premie club, but bucking it up to a 53 man roster (just a thought there) wouldn't dilute the prestige or perks in any appreciable way. I'm also okay with taking it to greater numbers -- within reason -- as this would be of benefit to existing premium members in terms of enhanced services and stabilized premium membership pricing in ensuing years. (No one's planning on being a maniacal Fin fan for just ONE year, right?)

For what it's worth, I signed up because I didn't want you to be stuck with the tab, struggling to manage the site AND having it cost you money. That's ridiculous!

I didn't really need another e-mail addy nor a website, and I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do with them. Never had a site before. I'm gonna have to ask somebody around here to guide me a bit on website ownership fundamentals. lol

Anyway, I'm glad that the premium memberships are helping. If more of 'em help more, then let's find a fair way to let that happen.

P4E

I'm thinking maybe you should have set the cap at 50, with the premium membership costing $50 per year. Then maybe add 5 or 10 more later to offset any increase in costs you might incur.

I like the idea of a place for photos and graphic designs. As for commentary on the main page, I think most people get all the commentary they want from the forums.

Just my opinion.

aj, i like the idea of keeping membership small at first..why not take a head count of people wanting to join over the next few months.if there is a strong demand why not put those people into a lottery type drawing and let in say 10 more people in the middle of the football season and go from there..just a thought..

5 more, every 6 months or something like that sounds good to me.

Great responses thus far, thanks :cool:

So far it seems as though everyone is for a cap, respectively. In addition, the premium membership shouldn't be open for new members every day. Instead, to make it more exclusive, have the membership open for new members every fourth month. In addition to that, have approxiametly 5-10 spaces available. Furthermore, there would have a cap of 50 members.

How does that sound? I feel as though it keeps the premium membership exclusive, by having a cap and only allowing new members three times a year.

Let me know how you feel about this...

Thank you for your time and help...

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

I think we should keep the cap at 30, but be able to auction off our spots every couple of months too see how much they are really worth...or maybe even better auction off the next 5 spots to see how much people are willing to pay for memberships - one at a time of course. Then maybe / hopefully you could get more than whatever I paid.

Otherwise, I like the 53 man roster idea - I am the starting FB of course ;)
clear.gif

Back
Top Bottom